Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Fix the payment issue

I can't be the only person with payment issue I have tried several times and I get the same error

it does the same when I try to pay with PayPal  too! 

there's nothing wrong with my card

703201DC-8274-4D3A-8956-971609542F31.jpeg

Contributor

Still an issue for the last month using Chrome or Edge.  Probably going to have to look for another organization since it's obvious that AARP doesn't care enough about their members to fix a long standing issue.

Periodic Contributor

I'm jumping ship as well. I've been trying for 3 months to attempt to purchase gift cards. I have allowed 3rd-party tracking, tried different browsers, cleared cache and cookies, and AARP reps don't know how to fix the issue and aren't tech savvy. 

Community Concierge

Hi 1protect1. I'm sorry you're having an issue purchasing gift cards. May I please ask the error you're getting when you try to make a purchase. - Stephen K.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you for reaching out! I am impressed! Please find attached the error. I also tried different credit cards and had the same issue. https://appsec.aarp.org/loyalty/payment/checkout 

Here is the error:

There was a problem with your payment. Please try again or contact AARP Rewards Customer Care at 1-866-451-6305. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I REALLY thought that I was getting assistance, but this is what I was told: "In order to purchase the gift card you must be logged into your rewards account also the credit card should be in your name. If you continue to have trouble, please get in touch with us by phone at 1-866-451-6305". My credit card IS working (I use it regularly) and is in my name, and I was logged in. What a lame answer! I give up.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/10/24) Good for you @1protect1 !!! I only come here to chat in the AARP Grief & Loss Forum. AARP does NOT listen to - read or care about Members' COMPLAINTS!!!  😎

[*** @1protect1 wrote:

I'm jumping ship as well. I've been trying for 3 months to attempt to purchase gift cards. I have allowed 3rd-party tracking, tried different browsers, cleared cache and cookies, and AARP reps don't know how to fix the issue and aren't tech savvy.  ***]

Periodic Contributor

Hi! Read the message trail above your response. I got excited when an AARP rep reached out to me to assist, but it ended up being another rep not knowing how to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Didn't work for me today🥺

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Calling does not help because they do not know how to fix it either. 

Contributor

th

0 Kudos

The problem is specific to using Google card management on Chrome or other Google platforms. The Google verification process does not work with some card processor systems. The work around is to use Edge or another browser and input your card details manually. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The same result happens in Edge as well.  they just Suck.  why offer it if it does not work. 

Contributor

Same error as everyone else. Does AARP not know or listen? This is in June 2023 and it appears to not be fixed. I have tried multiple credit cards, computers, ip addresses, paypal, clear cache cookies, cellphones and nothing. This is a problem with AARP

Regular Contributor

Yes ! Yes! I agree! I’m having the issue now . They refuse to accept responsibility for what is happening. The #Error message and they’ve charged my card ( pending 360.00) their response in chat is they can’t see it on their side. It’s my credit card no it’s your system. Did you use the correct address and name ? Yes!  Does it match your card information? Yes ! They know this is an ongoing thing and don’t give hoot. 

Contributor

I've been a member since 2004, but will have to let my membership lapse because of 'Error MSS48'.

I suggest that the AARP programmers read 'Error-Message Guidelines' at https://www.nngroup.com/articles/error-message-guidelines/:

'Concisely and precisely describe the issue. Generic messages such as 'An error occurred' lack context. Provide descriptions of the exact problems to help users understand what happened.'

In this case, I suggest the following message:

'Your renewal attempt failed. We don't know why. Don't bother trying again - it still won't work. We suggest spending your time in more productive pursuits.'

Community Concierge

@MichaelD119353 Hi Michael, what exactly are you attempting to do on our site when you get this error message? Also, have you had an opportunity to follow our website troubleshooting steps: The AARP Website Is Not Working As Expected

Periodic Contributor

Duh!  It's now February 2024.  This doesn't work, hasn't worked, and nobody at AARP will acknowledge the problem.  Too many people are having issues to state it's a user problem.  The problem is on AARP's end.  I don't think AARP has the gift cards in inventory and that's why there is no rush to "fix" the broken-on-purpose) system.

Periodic Contributor

I was finally able to purchase a card. That said, it really should not be that hard!!!!! They obviously have a problem. They need to provide a permanent fix. 

Contributor

Did you do something different to get it to work?

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @MichaelD119353

I had to chuckle at your last comments.... Don't bother trying again - it still won't work. We suggest spending your time in more productive pursuits....

Reached the tech peeps...they were stunned to find out the problems were not fixed!

nerdy tech guy.JPG

nerdy tech gal.JPG

Humor helps ease the pain of this broken Wonky website

Take care   ☮️~Allen

Kudos
Views
Contributor

having the same problem. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@Sara091011C605366 I'm sorry to hear this, Sara! Our escalations team is working on your case. You can expect a response within 3-5 business days.

Having the same issue trying to set up a membership.  Either getting MSS48 error or Payment cannot be processed, submit again.   Tried different browsers, different computers, different cards.  Even tried Paypal.  

Same here and its August 31st 2023!

0 Kudos

I also cannot make a purchase today.  Had the same problem last month and it took 2 weeks to resolve.   Worked the other day but not today.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@CorrinaG279727 @KathyB88958 Let me help! Please send me a private message and let me know what site you're on when you're having the issue and also let me know what the error message is. Steps to send a private message can be found here: How do I send a private message Thanks!

Contributor

It seems to continue to be an ongoing issue that just can't be resolved. I've tried several days with numerous different cards to purchase gift cards through the AARP rewards and the same error message shows up every time. 

Periodic Contributor

I'm having the same issues. Nothing but problems trying MasterCard, visa, discover, chrome, edge, Firefox, duckduckgo, brave, computer, cell, WiFi or not...nothing works. :(...my thing was supposed to be escalated as of 9/8 as well did you get a resolution?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@SherriC695020 Hi Sherri, I reviewed your account and I see a purchase was processed today! You can expect to receive that email within 24 hours. Your escalation for the payment error was created on Sept 8 and our team will reach out to you with a resolution within 3-5 business days. We're always here to help if you need anything!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP