Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 21 of 43

Hello all,

Since the first place that email can get treated as spam is your email provider, I would suggest to check the settings with them. Some providers have exception rules and/or whitelists.

Many providers now filter email through 3rd party managers, like vadesecure or mimecast. Typically, the 3rd party modifies emails by adding extra metadata headers. Then the email provider interprets/processes according to their own internal policies.

In some cases, the metadata makes reference to blacklists managed by yet another 3rd party. I've had a lot of trouble sending email to friends in Germany when my provider briefly ended up on one of the public blacklists used by their German ISP.

Bottomline: check the settings at your provider and see if you can setup a whitelist or exception rule.

Cheers,

Ray

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 43

The return address contains community before the @ sign.  Almost every one of the political ads I have showing up in my spam folder are "info@****.  I stand by my opinion that it is the "Community" before the @ sign that is causing it.  If they could change it to AARP@aarp.org/community, they will probably go to the inbox.

655F4532-598C-4BEE-8F2D-CEC75617E051_4_5005_c.jpeg

All these went direct to inbox:

0EBCD8AF-DABF-4840-8569-D67E5E66CA71_4_5005_c.jpegC966015D-3CB5-4096-95F7-F03E6A0D83DE_4_5005_c.jpeg5007738C-1320-47D9-8801-DBC44E918A02_4_5005_c.jpeg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 43

@gm5271 

Hello Ginger,

I agree, the SPAM issue seems to be on AARP's end.   I use a desktop computer for AARP activities, and I can't see the view count on my 26" monitor.  It's interesting that you can see the  view count on your phone turned sideways.  Unfortunately, I can't turn my monitor sideways.

Take care.

Jolene

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 43

The reason the emails have all of a sudden started going to the spam folder is that someone somewhere made a change to the parameters for identifying spam.  This started happening at the same time I started getting a lot - and I mean a whole lot - of political ads going to my spam folder. 

Through efforts to try and set up rules on my email client (Apple), I found out that the rules cannot be automatically applied to emails that are in the spam folder, and because emails that are identified as spam go directly to the spam folder, my rules have to be applied manually.  I have never set a rule or other means to determine what is spam. Yet there they are.  

The email clients Apple, Google, Yahoo, maybe even AOL try in good faith to keep users from receiving spam by creating detectors/filters to flag them.  They may be using a master list of spam identifiers across all or many of the clients.  AARP should start there.  It may not have been any change by AARP in their emails.  It may be a change in what is being flagged as spam, and AARP's emails have gotten caught up in them. That it started at the same time I also see a large increase in political ads in my spam folder leads me to this conclusion.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 43

@gm5271 

The number of views are showing in the same place when I view a post.  Your post shows 17 views before this posting.  So, I'm not seeing a change, but, that doesn't mean that it was not showing earlier.

And, Gem, thanks for posting about this problem.  It is a real bore...

Also, Thanks @AARPTeri for looking into this.

Thanks!

AndrewToo
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 43

Hey gang

I'm now feeling fairly certain that's its on AARP Community end...

@JoLo49 Jolene

I also noticed that veiws info was no longer there... used see it on my phone... just checked its at top of box of Andrew's 1st post IF I TURN PHONE SIDEWAYS can't see otherwise.... which is same issue I have with Promo code box can only see and enter if phone is sideways 😞

Andrew @andrewtoo your usually on laptop or PC are you seeing the view count? If so where? Used be at bottom now on top 

Russell @RussellP197074 might be a hot word but this is new issue for old timers Over 5+ years I've always gotten Community emails in regular email not Spam & its only the "reaction" emails to forums/ topics subscribed to

All other AARP & Rewards emails still coming way they always have 

But also I've just done some checking and seems my issue with Community emails began around same time or very shortly after they redid community title changes & such.... How about y'all? Does it seem in that timing for you? 

@AARPTeri 

So Teri as Andrew just posted don't think this is related to any of our email accounts causing this.... with PromoCode box change & Thread View count change & Spam issue seems very likely due to programming not Members ...As a Test Is it possible for you to email one of us from Community address but it not be response tied to our subscriptions? See what happens Thanks

Appreciate your help 

Ginger ;  )

🙂 Smile & the world Smiles with you 😉 Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 43

I noticed a change on the Community Forum where each posting no longer shows the number of times it is getting viewed.  It could be possible there were other changes made on the forum, including how the emails are being sent.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 43

It might be the word "community" that some clients might be flagging to send to spam.  Maybe AARP could strip that off as a test. I seem to remember a certain community organizer that was getting a lot of flack about it.  Maybe it has become a hot button word now.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 43

@AARPTeri @JoLo49 @gm5271 @RussellP197074 @mi4090 

Different users using different email systems suddenly have notices going directly to Spam?  It is hard for me to believe that it is entirely on our end.  AOL Mail is free to me, after decades of paying $20 per month, however, the free account has no technical support.  I have added the community email to my contacts and getting several email notices a day directly to Spam.  The foundation email may have been a one time occurrence.

AndrewToo
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 43
@ gm5271
Hello Ginger,
I have Yahoo mail and this is the first time I've had an issue with a safe contact going to SPAM. I've had this account for many years. Only the Community AARP emails are going into SPAM. Other AARP correspondence seems to be reaching my Inbox with no issues.

Jolene
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit