Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bring back the old form of winning gift cards

Contributor

Bring back the old form of winning gift cards

It’s time to bring back the old format. No one wants to work for a gift card that’s saves you a couple of dollars.

Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq 

I remember that someone posted problems with using more than one gift card on the same purchase, but, it was not me.

But, I wanted to acknowledge the fact that many small gift cards never get used and it is profit for the issuer.

For example, I keep forgetting to use Sam's club card because I leave it at home.  The smaller $5 gift card doesn't come to mind like the old days when we could buy 3 gift cards of the same issuer.

Walmart is great because it helps with my medicine co-pays.  Also, I have noticed that the $5 Bath and Body Works is still at the bottom of my lady's purse along with a Staples card.  She is forgetting just like me.

It is sure is hard for me to say "Hey, everything is great...Ain't nothing the matter here!"

AndrewToo
Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone 😊. How about this beautiful weather we're having on the east coast. Anyway, I believe that was me that mentioned using more than 1 gift card. Some stores and websites allow only 1 gift card and a debit or credit card as payment. I don't know if anyone caught my suggestion about the Instant Win games. Any game that gives 100 winners a $10 - $15 gift card , how about taking 25 of those cards and posting them on the Rewards for Points. I'm just saying

Concerned Member
Gold Conversationalist

@andrewtoo   You are right.  Slippage, as the industry calls it, is common.  That is what worries me about all the gift cards that are being sold.  I worry that seniors who cannot afford it will buy and lose it or forget it.....or wait too long I guess, and have an unused one refused (Walmart in my case).  I have a number of free ones on hand and it will take an effort to redeem them.  In these days, it takes more than a $5 card to get me into a store I

would not be in otherwise.    When we could get three of the same, it was way more worthwhile.   

Bronze Conversationalist

@HokiePoq Walmart gift cards do not expire.  However, what you wrote reminded me of something that happened well over a year ago.  I had a WM gift card (not an egift card) from the old program and when I went to use it at self check out, it was rejected.  However, the problem was with the card...it would not swipe/scan properly.  A employee took the card to customer service to check it.  I guess they called someone and figured out the card was defective.  They immediately reissued a new gc and I was able to use it for my transaction. 

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@k380494p   Then it's a mystery to me why my card was rejected although I had not used it.  Mine was a printed ecard like we get now, not a plastic card like we used to get.  Guess I should have gone to customer service.   Checkout clerks in general are not familiar with this type of card and I have to hold my breath while they call the supervisor to run it.   That happened both times I had a Kroger card although both were honored once someone who knew how to key it in came.   No one came at Walmart.....so I really don't know if it was the card, the clerk, or my memory at fault.  I threw it away...hate to hold up the line.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Might you still have it in your email account? I have created two folders in my inbox: one for gift cards and one for used gift cards; it helps me keep track of them. I prefer to use the egift cards online, which you can do for Target, Walmart and pick up the order (or have it mailed, Amazon i.e.); as I do not have a printer, it is often difficult to redeem in a store with the card number and access code written down; I sometimes have to get a manager to do it. So far it has always worked (CVS, Kroger, Whole Foods...), I hope you can retrieve your Walmart card.

Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone 😊. Do you have Google Pay ?  If so, when you tap the redeem URL on your email and it opens, at the top you'll see save. Tap that and it should ask if you want to save it to Google Pay. Once in Google Pay you should be able to use at the store. Screenshot_20210315-192322.png

Concerned Member
Gold Conversationalist

@a170938b   That is an excellent idea to put them in a folder.  I will start doing that.  I print and then have them in a less than organized spot.   I used to put the real cards in my purse and had them with me when I could use them.    It is not worth the trouble for the $10 Walmart card.  It's not my favorite place to shop even before the pandemic.   And a stint in the customer service line there is no fun.    I'll let that one go to someone else in the future even though it's a nice one.  Thanks for the great suggestion!

Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone 😊. These $5 gift cards for points aren't worth the time. You're talking about $15 worth of gift cards a month. I've noticed that, for instance , a $15 Instant Win for Boston Market for 50 points. There's 100 of these cards available to win. How come they don't give us 25 of those cards for points. I'm just saying

Concerned Member
Gold Conversationalist

@al45009948    Yes.   Not worth the time and also the trouble redeeming.   There are anxious moments sometimes at the stores/restaurants when I redeem and it's not worth that for $5.    I went back as someone else had and looked at that winner's list.   Sure enough some distinctive names are recurring over and over.    Maybe there are also names that don't stand out recurring over and over.   Home towns are no longer listed, making it easier to cover up winning bots.    I did try for the Boston Market one as it was worthwhile, and yes, I'd have been glad to see that for points, too.

Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone 😊. Yes I noticed that some names didn't have a City or State. Like I mentioned before, I used to belong to VipVoice and I did win a few things but when they changed the format, prizes were few and the odds were greater. But to the point, I believe some of the Winners on VipVoice list are also on the Winners list here. I want it to be known that this is just my opinion and not a fact yet. As soon as I figure out how to use my Microsoft Office I'm going to do a comparison and then I'll know for sure. I'm just saying

Concerned Member
Gold Conversationalist

Yes.  The purchase of gift cards saving a minimal amount of money is not a wise practice for many.  Some may feel it's worthwhile to save $5 for example but research over the years shows that the "slippage" of such cards makes for profit for the issuers.   I imagine this is doubly true for seniors who may misplace the cards or wait too long (as I apparently did with Walmart which rejected my card).   People buy and don't redeem.   It is rare for  savings on purchased cards to be worthwhile in this program.  I buy gift cards at Costco for 20% savings but only for Carrabras where we are regulars.  Someone else posted (Andrew???) that only one card is allowed on orders for some cards issued in this program.  In that case, it is not a gift card.  It is a coupon for a small discount.  Gift cards work like cash if they really are gift cards.

Conversationalist

It isn't as good as it used to be but promotions aren't as easy to come by since the pandemic.
Overall its just an extra perk for members so anything is better than no perk at all.

I bought a couple of cards for a small savings.May as well take the discount if its a place you will be shopping at anyway..I got $45 in gift cards last month, a $10 Kohls, a $10 Kroger card, and a $25 Ghirardelli gift card so I am okay with that.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP