Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gold Conversationalist

Best and Worst Ads

I see countless ads on the AARP site everyday.  I confess a lot of them are on the games I play but the same ads are on both the earn activities and the games.  

Some ads I deem effective and not annoying.  Others make me want NOT to buy the product.

For example:   In the past Viking had river cruise ads on the site.  They were so beautiful it actually inspired me to book one and then another of these trips.  An effective ad and enjoyable to watch.

It didn't require "skip ad".  Effective ads don't.  They get their message across in limited seconds.

And the worst I can recall:  The Marcus ad we are subjected to.  Not only will I not listen to it, I have to turn my head.  I'm no prude but really don't want to look at a shirtless unattractive man over and over again.  And that one seems to play constantly.  I can't say if Marcus is a good financial product.  I won't even look or listen to that annoying ad.

Anyone else have a favorite or hated ad?  We should all be experts at them, there are so many.

Regular Contributor

The three minute and 30 second ads for lowes home safety items are too long. I skip them, but why are they ads? 
lisa, who found a job as a home healthcare worker is a touching story, but the add runs way too many times.  

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Any ad that lasts more than 20 seconds. If they cannot get their message in such a time frame, the message is not worth listening to. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I, myself, don't want to see any ads. I installed AdBlocker Plus for free to my browser and it rids me of all ads on AARP's website. It believe that subjecting its members to ads is an indication of how commercial AARP has become versus its original intent.

Regular Contributor

Occasional ads are okay but if you’re playing the same game repeatedly in one sitting,  the ad becomes quite annoying.

Trusted Social Butterfly

The ad for cleaning body areas ...I can't recall the name as it's repulsive to view...

Silver Conversationalist

Thank goodness they haven't started advertising LUME: yet anyway !

for stinky body parts 

Just Saying 

lucyp061351
Regular Contributor

Ha ha I’m no prude but I don’t want to see ads for “down there”  on AARP or anywhere else

Honored Social Butterfly

I just saw an ad on national television for a new VENUS disposal razor. It is for "down there" and is titled VENUS PUBIC HAIR AND SKIN RAZOR. To me, that is one step too far in the specialized product department as far as how to title a product.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

This one seems a prime example of how the pathologically antisocial sickness that pervades human cultures has distorted priorities in general.  The human race is cooking itself alive with climate change, but a thinly disguised appeal to individual vanity is used to present a highly specialized razor is as an important consideration for personal grooming.

...Calls to mind the old adage that a frog on a hotplate will let itself be cooked alive if the heat is increased slowly enough.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP