Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are you the next AARP Benefits Badass? (CONTEST)

Honored Social Butterfly

Are you the next AARP Benefits Badass? (CONTEST)

Maybe this will be of interest to someone? 🙂

RE: AARP Benefits Badass Contest (Info here): AARP Benefits Badass Contest 

Do you think you have what it takes? Apply Now!

Do you have what it takes?

We're looking for our AARP Benefits Badass to help us show the world all you can do with a membership to AARP. Oh, and it comes with one badass prize - $50,000. Anyone can apply for this badass opportunity. It's a badass contest with a badass prize. Can you seize the day - and the savings - to win the competition?

04242023 (AARP) need to know are you a benefits badass.png

Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

Congratulations, Jihane Jeanty! 🎉

Here's her submission for the 'AARP Benefits Badass Contest:'

You NEED an AARP membership! (by @JollyJihane, May 29, 2023) (YouTube) 

Jihane Jeanty (source: AARP)Jihane Jeanty (source: AARP)

➡️  AARP Names First Benefits Badass (by Robin L. Flanigan, AARP - Published August 24, 2023)

Jihane Jeanty, a 36-year-old full-time digital marketer from Florida, has been named AARP’s Benefits Badass after a nationwide search.

Jeanty competed against 40,000 contestants vying for the title — the first of its kind. She takes home a $50,000 prize for her video demonstrating how the benefits of AARP membership help people make their money, health and happiness live as long as they do.

“I was just coming off a client call and thought this was the best news ever,” she says of learning she won. “I was just praising God and jumping around and looking for ice cream in my freezer, feeling so happy and so blessed that so many people voted for me.”

The competition, which launched in April, invited U.S. residents 18 years or older to submit a video sharing how they make the most of AARP benefits. Thousands of people voted for their favorite entry.

One of 20 finalists, Jeanty surged to the top with the help of her infectious enthusiasm. In her video entry, which notes that AARP has something for everyone “whether you’re 18 or 80,” she uniquely combines her special brand of creativity, charisma and video production quality with a deep appreciation for how AARP information, programs, tools and other benefits have helped improve her life and the lives of others.

“We are excited to crown Jihane as our first-ever Benefits Badass to help showcase how AARP benefits help her give back to her community, save money, stay healthy and have fun,” said Barbara Shipley, AARP senior vice president of brand integration. “AARP thanks everyone who participated in this contest for showing the country what being an AARP Benefits Badass means.”

AARP benefits help members save money, give back to their community and stay healthy. Jeanty’s goal is to share tips and tricks and turn the “masses into badasses.” In 2022, AARP members saved $460 million with everyday discounts.

“There are a lot of misconceptions that you have to be retired or an older person to join AARP … [but] AARP is a brand that’s for the people,” says Jeanty. “I’m a millennial and became a member about two years ago and since then have thoroughly enjoyed the plethora of information AARP gives you.”

As an experienced content creator, Jeanty wanted her video to be both authentic and valuable for the audience.

In her video submission, Jeanty mentioned that AARP provides resources for family caregivers because she’s dealt with family health issues. Her father battled cancer in 2021, and in 2020, when her mother had pneumonia and severe arthritis, Jeanty and her younger brother became her caregivers.

She mentioned AARP’s financial planning tools because she used the home budget calculator to consider whether she could afford to purchase property. And her nod to AARP’s listing of volunteer opportunities is a memory of helping out at a Los Angeles food bank when visiting a friend.

Jeanty, who describes herself as “open,” “spirited” and “young at heart,” shares her own spin on her new title: “A badass does what they want when they want, but not at the disservice of other people. They can be proud of themselves without any external validation. And they don't tell you they’re a badass — they just show you they’re a badass.” 

And for those wondering, on the night she accepted the Benefits Badass crown, Jeanty ate an entire pint of Ben & Jerry’s The Tonight Dough ice cream.  (“That’s OK,” she says. “I’d just won a huge prize.”) 

Keep an eye on Jeanty’s social media channels, including TikTok (@jolly_jihane) and Instagram (@jolly_jihane) to see how she embodies what it means to be AARP’s Benefits Badass. She will also appear on select AARP social media channels.

Robin L. Flanigan is a contributing writer who covers mental health, education and human-interest stories for several national publications.

Honored Social Butterfly

UPDATE:

VOTE FOR OUR BADASS WINNER!

The Top 25 Finalists Have Been Selected – Now It’s Time to Vote for Your Favorite Badass!

AARP Members’ Votes Count 5x More!   VOTE NOW

Voting Period Ends 7/24/23. For Official Rules, click here.

[https://community.aarp.org/t5/General/AARP-Benefits-Badass-Contest-VOTE-FOR-OUR-BADASS-WINNER/m-p/25...]

Contributor

First of all, you’ve only got 20 out of possible 25 finalists and I’ve seen quite a few videos on YouTube and TikTok that followed every rule, and were very interesting that you could have chosen from. People worked very hard and they should’ve been considered on this. Also, many of the finalists are talking about commercial benefits longer than they are talking about social benefits. The rules clearly state that social benefits should be making up the majority of the video, and should be talked about twice as long as one speaks about the commercial benefits. Well, of course, someone is always going to be disappointed and you can’t please everyone, if you’re going to run something like this and you’re going to regurgitate rules all the time, then you need to be be following them yourself in the first place instead of blatantly, disregarding your own rules, and other people’s hard work/submissions.

Periodic Contributor

The top 25 finalists???  Only 20 come up for me for voting, although I think there could have been 25 finalists, as I explained in my Facebook post about this contest.  

Contributor

So I entered Monell was really confused by the contest rules… At one point it said folks will be notified if they are a potential finalist on or about May 30… I don’t see how this could be possible because if the video is being judged on its merits, And the last day to enter is the 29th it wouldn’t be possible to look through hundreds if not thousands of entries by the next day. I am wondering has anyone here actually been notified that they are a potential finalist? This was really confusing to me… I guess we will find out on June 27…  I was very excited I wrote an AARP song, and sang and played bass on it.., besides, of course, talking about all the great benefits… And I showed myself ice-skating at 64 which I think is pretty cool… and I spent about 40 hours making my video… I do think it was pretty great! But I did not have anyone reach out to me, so I guess my video with somehow discounted… Time will tell. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I spent a lot of time on my video too.  In fact, I probably made over 100 videos before I was finally pleased with my entry.  I was very disappointed that they only selected 20 finalists, when I believe they could have selected 25 finalists. I was also disappointed because I think some of the finalist videos did not meet the requirements of the Official Rules.  If they are NOT following the Official Rules, being a finalist may not have mattered anyway.  

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I agree… A lot of the finalist videos do not meet the rules… a lot of them are talking about commercial benefits more than they are social benefits… The rules clearly state they must speak about social benefits twice as long as commercial benefits, because the majority of the video must be made up of discussing social benefits. Also, as a 64 1/2 year-old figure skater Bass Player and Songwriter I believe I know if the bad ass part… I don’t think they even looked at my video. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@MelanieA893016 | @s771251c  It's great to air your grievances, but then the cat chases its tail, so-to-speak. I would like to redirect/refer you to our absolutely awesome AARP Community Concierge, @AARPJanelleM. She might be able to stabilize your concerns. Take care. 

Contributor

That sounds like a very rude and not at all empathetic response. I don’t hear you addressed my concerns at all. How dare you suggest I’m chasing my tail… There are other people here that have said the same thing… You’re not helping your company at all. You’re supposed to be kind to the customers and you’re supposed to be listening. People are watching what you’re saying, too. If you want to help/ redirect me that’s fine, but I think you’re just concerned that the public is going to see that the rules were not followed. How about you actually read what I said and you actually respond with some empathy and caring.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Again, I will happily redirect/refer you to: @AARPJanelleM. She can assist with your concerns regarding the 'AARP Benefits Badass Contest.' Thank you!

[https://community.aarp.org/t5/General/Are-you-the-next-AARP-Benefits-Badass-CONTEST/m-p/2506517/high...]

Community Concierge

@MelanieA893016 Hi Melanie, thanks for entering the contest!! The Benefits Badass Contest consists of 3 phases: Submission, Finalist Judging and Public Voting. The submission phase was 4/19-5/29. The Finalist Judging took place 5/30-6/26 and the Public Voting runs 6/27-7/24. Check out the rules here: https://aarp.promo.eprize.com/benefitsbadass/public/COMPILED/en/fulfillment/rules.pdf

Contributor

good morning, I know all about the phases stages and rules. I have read them over and over again. However, I don’t think the people that chose the finalists read them. Several of the finalists talked longer about the commercial benefits than they did about the social benefits… One of the main rules clearly states that double the time must be spent talking about the social benefits as they are back then the commercial benefits. Also, there are only 20 finalists. I think my video should’ve at least put me as a “potential“ finalist that I didn’t even get contacted from you or people about that. Before you reply, you should check out my video so you know what you’re talking about. 40 hours of work went into it, I spent more than double the time talking about social benefits and pointing out all of the great things I’ve learned and resources I found on your website and the social benefits… I am also showing the website and zooming in on it… Everyone that saw my video thought it was great, in addition, I wrote a little jingle about AARP and I played bass and sang on it. I’m also 64 1/2 years old and I’m figure skating in my video… I’m actually spending and doing a spider lunge… Look it up. You might be surprised. My Physical therapist is at one of the most famous therapy places in the world and she doesn’t know anybody my age doing what I am doing. So I think I got the bad ass part. But I spent 40 hours making sure my video I followed all of your rules, which I could recite to you by memory at this point. You should watch my video and you should also get in touch with the powers that be at AARP because somebody messed up on this. You can see it under Melanie Athena, and it is on YouTube and TikTok with all the proper hashtags. I’d love a response that actually addresses what I’m saying after somebody has actually looked at my submission that was a lot of my hard work very disappointed in AARP and their contest.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Grumpy Cat says.....

AARP don’t kno nuttin bout Badass!

Grumpy Cat says.....AARP don’t kno nuttin bout Badass!Grumpy Cat says.....AARP don’t kno nuttin bout Badass!

Social Butterfly

Benefits Bad-"Everybody Has One" award?

AndrewToo
Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u 

Hey, I thought I just had to finish my vegetables.

I believe my Mom doesn't really like the Benefits Badass honor it would not be used in polite company. Some of the aging part of our membership may not appreciate reading badass all the time as they use the site.  Maybe AARP thinks it sounds cool?  With that said, maybe last place could be, I don't know, a Benefits AssHat?

Regardless, you should eat your veggies before the two pudding cups.

AndrewToo
Silver Conversationalist

Denise can’t stop laughing!....

a Benefits AssHat!

HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH!

Denise can’t stop laughing!Denise can’t stop laughing!

Social Butterfly

@garyfish49 

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions, Gary...However, that $50 grand might be a little too much money for the 12 or 13 year old IT staff who maintain the online Rewards Program (obviously working via TikTok from their middle school classrooms) as well as take weekends and every holiday off.

Also, the $50,000 could alternatively be used for something useful like lobbying Congress for a national minimum size of pudding cups.  I swear they are getting smaller and I find that I am eating two of them (😲) to meet my needs

In addition, It solves the larger problem of prescription drug costs because if I have to only eat one pudding cup at a time then I will have more money to give to the Governmental/Pharmaceutical complex. 💰💰💰!!!

A crude depiction of the Pudding Cup Fiasco follows!

Pudding Cup :)Pudding Cup 🙂Smaller Pudding Cup :-(Smaller Pudding Cup 😞

Thanks again!

AndrewToo
Silver Conversationalist

Hey   @Andrew

You tell em Andrew!‼️

They also need to realize that.....

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!🍮

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?🤔🙄🙃

HAH!!😂

Take care ☮️~Allen 🌈

Conversationalist

Instead of launching lame-ass promotions like this that only really benefit ONE WINNER, how about if AARP spends the $50K (and more) to hire an all-new badass IT team to whip the Rewards Program into a properly functioning entity that would educate and entertain and benefit untold thousands of MEMBERS (over 50) on a sustainable basis over the long term.

Now THAT would really be BADASS !!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP