Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Annoying popup ads about black Friday deals blocking view

Gold Conversationalist

Annoying popup ads about black Friday deals blocking view

In the last few days there are annoying popup ads about black Friday deals blocking view of both earn & redeem awards page. You have to exit out every time ....& must hit the X exactly.... which for some folks with unsteady hands, or like myself, have only one hand that I can use ....it is not so easy.  More irritating is that I already renewedโ€ฆ& got that "speaker giftโ€ (which btwโ€ฆis useless & doesnโ€™t work right) ๐Ÿ˜’ You have to exit out every time & must hit the X exactlyYou have to exit out every time & must hit the X exactlyI'm surprised to not see any other member mentioning this...so I hope it's not just me.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi yโ€™all. Thanks to the community for your views, feedbackโ€ฆ.and for your kudos! Apparently AARP has addressed this issue & at least for the past few days, the intrusions are gone. ๐Ÿ‘

Also, I donโ€™t mind ads around the site as I know it generates income for themโ€ฆ.but itโ€™s not necessary to have them popup & block our view when trying to earn & redeem activities.

Thanks again ~Allen โ˜ฎ๏ธ

Conversationalist

You don't have to close the pop up.Just move your cursor off the ad and click anywhere on the page other than the ad and it goes away.But yes it is very annoying.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @MemberS2006

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree with you, it is very annoying. But it also makes it harder to use this website with unsteady hands or having only one good hand so I have to manipulate the mouse & cursor โ€ฆ.which even without this intrusive ad is not so easy for some of us & takes extra time for every single activity whether earning or trying to redeem.

BTW: I tried your suggestion: โ€œmove your cursor off the ad and click anywhere on the page other than the ad and it goes away" but, at least for me, doesnโ€™t make it go awayโ€ฆonly hitting the X willโ€ฆ.either way, we are forced to make more steps just to get it out of the way! ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ˜ž

Anywayโ€ฆ Thanks again ~Allen

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u,

You need to simply add AdBlock Plus to your browser. It gets rid of all ads. It is free.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @nctarheel

Thanks for your feedback. I do have  AdBlock Plus too (but it hasnโ€™t blocked them yet) โ€ฆ.as well as the free NoScript (noscript.net) โ€ฆso I have maximum control of every website. It takes a lot of time & patience to figure out what to allowโ€ฆ

also I was hoping AARP was running this for only a short time!

Thanks again ~Allen

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u 

I don't understand why AdBlock Plus isn't blocking ALL OF YOUR AARP ADS. It does on my browser(Firefox).

Are you allowing ads for this web site?

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Hi again @nctarheel 

I tried to block the element & was successfulโ€ฆuntil I went to enter contestsโ€ฆitโ€™s hard to tweak this kind of intrusive persistent adโ€ฆIโ€™ve never had to mess with AARP sites beforeโ€ฆI usually just let Adblock do its thing & all works fine at most websites. You have to allow some things in for the sites to work properly. Anyway Iโ€™m still trying different ways to address the issue.

Thanks again ~Allen

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Finding this extremely annoying as well, both my hands are okay and that stupid x is hard to hit even so!

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @CatherineM636768

Thanks for your feedback. Now I know itโ€™s not just happening to me! ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree with you. There is no need to repeatedly shove ads in our face โ€ฆespecially as it is blocking our accessโ€ฆ. or make it harder to use this website โ€ฆinstead of helping us by making it easier to use!

Thanks again ~Allen

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP