Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

AARP Rewards is a disapointment

After a couple of month on the "new and improved" rewards program I am bitterly disapointed in the lack of usable resturant gift cards as well as some travel related ones.

1. Low price points ie $23 for a $25 dollar card an 8% savings

2. Only allowed one card a month from a retailer

3. only 3 retailers can be purchased from in a month

I barely cover the cost of an evening meal with my wife with those rules, much less one nice meal each week.

My only reason for joining AARP was for the 50% point bonus for members in the R4G program.  If this new program does not improve significantly, I wont renew my membership when it expires.

Regular Contributor

Completely agree rewards lack mainly using rewards points. AARP why? Get rid of mat, pill holder, golf, picture designer. We want gift cards that are valid in all states. This is truly sad!

Regular Contributor

I have to agree. This new AARP Rewards is definitely a disappointment. I enjoyed the old reward system, but this doesn't offer rewards that interest me, especially given the minimal discounts provided. I wish they would just return to the old system. I am not sure what motivated them to go this route, other than profit.

Conversationalist

I doubt that you will see much in the way of improvements regarding points only purchasing. In Rewards version 2, there are not many uses for the points we are able to build up.  If they start offering anything decent for points only, the only people who will get them are the lucky ones that saw them first, before they sell out.  If they offer better things, the number of points to buy them would have to be very high to avoid selling out.  That would just about be the same as the old auction system where too many people had ridiculous amounts of points, pricing everyone else out of the system.

Maybe in version 3, things will get better.  Yeah, I said it.  I don't think the current version can last as it is.  At least it probably won't in the minds of the people who are still here.

Social Butterfly

I'm still holding out hope.  If I don't ask for what I want then I will surely not get what I want.  I haven't given up on AARP Rewards just yet.  This program can improve its rewards offerings.  If they reduce  the "experiences" then that would give them more funds to offer cards for points.

Card offerings for points will very likely sell out...like the daily deal. If they are  good card offerings, then they should sell out.

I ask for what I want.  I know that AARP Rewards can offer gift cards for point only; they have done it before and they can do it again.  I'm still interested in these gift card offerings for points only. @AARPTeri 

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!🥧🍗🥧🍗

AndrewToo
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @andrewtoo 

Andrew so do I, thus my immediate post at the beginning "Are Points Only Gift Cards Gone Forever??? "

It can be done, and it's also what I want without the limits @AARPTeri .

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Periodic Contributor

I think the odds of "winning" a daily or weekly deal must be very low.  I received one when the program first got started but have tried problably 15-20 times since with no results.  I would rather receive a $5 gift card occasionally than have to gamble for a $50 gift card that I never "win." I very much miss the old system. There was also a greater diversity in the kinds of gifts and gift cards in the old system which I think better serves your diverse membership.  Just because we are old doesn't mean we all have the same needs or desires.

Social Butterfly

@sv5213 

I won a $5 Amazon card this month.  I didn't enter most of the offerings because I was not interested.  I'm somewhat pleased with the card but, why are the more useful gift cards a lower value???

Why not a $25 Amazon Daily Instant Win, or Walmart or Target...

The limit of one per month really makes coming to the site dull after you win a Daily Instant Win.

I'm going to keep asking for rewards improvement AARP.

Thanks,

AndrewToo
Trusted Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Andrew right about the value of useful cards being lowered😢.  Is anyone listening....duh!

$25 gift cards for Daily Instant Wins Management.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Contributor

I agree. As a new member, I expected more. There are absolutely no rewards in my area, even though we have national chains and services here. It's quite disappointing. It would be nice to have more sweepstakes choices as well. Come on, AARP -- you can do better!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @JeanneC440628 

Agree on local deals, absolutely nothing I'd want.  Get some local grocery store and gas station deals.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Periodic Contributor

Plus, we tried to use a local deal and they didn't know anything about it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @jimmiezwei 

Jimmie you're not alone I'm sure thousands of members haven't renewed.  This is not acceptable to treat paying members this way.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Contributor

totally agree nothing I will really use on any of the options offered. I liked the old rewards program. 

Contributor

Totally useless program.  If you are going to give me points, then let them be worth something.  Saving $2.00 on a $25.00 restaurant certificate?  Worthless.  Put some gift cards and other rewards on here that we can get by using points only.  That would be worth my time.  This pathetic program is a complete waste of time.

Contributor

Yes, I find the AARP Rewards a disappointment also.  The old program used to allow a person to use their points by clicking on the item of choice and then entering each day the maxium of points until the period in which the contest was over.  Who wants to pay $23.00 for a value of $25.00.  Go back to the old program.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @CLBS 

Agreed....Are Points Only Gift Cards Gone Forever?

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

I'm new to the AARP site and am not familiar with how the old rewards points worked.  However, I did just win a $50 Cabelas e-gift card which was a winner of the day.  So I know you can win things at  no cost to you.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@HeidiM17876   A Cabela's $50 egift card?  My instant win option for the day is a $5 Macy's card and my weekly instant win is a Lord and Taylor.  Are we not all seeing the same instant wins?  There is nothing at all from Cabela's on my Redeem Page.  ????????

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @k380494p 

Cabelas $50 Wkly Instant Win was a couple of weeks ago, you can see exactly when by viewing Weekly Instant Wins.

I won the $50 Michael's Weekly Instant Win😊  I'd like to win Lord & Taylor.  Good luck if you're trying to win😊

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Periodic Contributor

I only bother to check in about once a month to see if anything's improved.  The rewards are not even worth the aggravation involved in logging in.  

My 3 year membership is up this month and I don't think I'm renewing.  Last time I renewed, I was supposed to receive a gift, which never came.  My emails to customer service apparently did not merit the courtesy of a reply.  But they have no problem sending me advertising for their overpriced insurance, over and over and over.  Not to mention, the AARP publications that come with the membership are written at about a third-grade level, as if that's what AARP thinks of its members.  So seeing the Rewards program turned into a joke is just the final straw.  Buh-bye, AARP.

Contributor

Yep, when my membership expires, it's good bye bye Aarp, hello AMAC!
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@catladyrn I'm here to help! I adjusted your mailings, so please allow up to 12 weeks for them to stop and have your name removed from the pre printed mailing list. Your renewal gift had been back ordered, so I've sent it today and it will arrive in about 4 weeks. Enjoy!  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@AARPJodeeR 

how can I have my name and mailing adress removed from the pre printed mailing list.

I have looked everywhere under profile and only see the option to quit getting email.  emails I am ok with, just don't want all the junk postal mailings.

Retired Moderator

@jimmiezwei - happy to help. I've adjusted the mailings on your membership account that you requested to stop. Please allow up to 12 weeks as some materials are pre-printed. Have a great day!

Periodic Contributor

@AARPAnneH Thank You so much

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@jimmiezwei- on behalf of Anne, you are most welcome! 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @catladyrn 

I understand, an overwhelming amount of problems with new program after all the hype.  Not a lot members interested in and several regular folks don't come to Community now.  Truly a cause for members to think twice when renewal comes up.  Some major improvements are in order.  You will be missedSmiley Sad

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Regular Contributor

How wonderful for you. I've been involved over 2 yrs but never won. Old program was better but I monitored the winners which I did find few same people winning often some very nice prizes. Not sure whats behind the decision of winners. But this is me doesn't represent others. Have a winning experience. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Welcome @HeidiM17876 

Congrats on the Wkly Instant Win😀 There were daily deals for points or points/cash combination at 2pm ET daily, that members tried to win and no limits, more Sweeps that members wanted and you could bid on Auctions for deals.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP