Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP OPTUMRX drug discount is a sham!

Dear Friends - I just checked three medicine I take monthly and the AARP promoted OPTUMRX prices are 2 to 4 times higher than AMAZONRX. My fourth medicine was 30% cheaper at OPTUMRX. The classical scam of getting you in by a less expensive, more popular items only to rip you off by the other 3 items you will buy by 2 times to 3 times prices.

It is a shame that AARP does not check these companies running scams on Seniors before hand. 

This is good information. I haven’t tried it and probably will not. My pharmacy is incredibly inexpensive for all of my medications so I’m blessed in that sense. Thank you for the information!

0 Kudos
Contributor

It's unfortunate you see it that way. It's been a GAME CHANGER for me and Mom. We were running around from CVS to Walgreens to Walmart, when we were offered the opportunity to try Optum. For at least one year, it has been the answer for our prescription issues. Never heard of AMAZONRX, I'm sure they're great if you say so, however, I'm sticking with OPTUMRX. Works for us.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I agree with @bb6804547.

Most AARP programs are scams designed to fill AARP'S coffers with money from people that can hardly afford it.

Here is another example of this ridiculous RX program from Optum.

One of my maintenance drugs through my present prescription provider:

$80 for a three month supply.

Same maintenance drug through OptumRX:

A FREAKING $1,600 FOR A THREE MONTH SUPPLY!!!!!!!

I wonder if AARP gets some kind of KICKBACK for recommending this vendor??????

Honored Social Butterfly

This OPTUMRX Discount card isn't just for AARP members - it is for anybody that can get hold of the card and that's easy - in fact just yesterday one came in all the "junk" mail that I get in bulk once a week and of course, I go thru it just to make sure nothing else got mixed in - 

Discount drug buying FOR CERTAIN DRUGS - mostly generics - are a dime a dozen - GoodRx, CostPlus, AmazonRx, OptumRx, WellRx, SingleCare - there are probably more.  

Maybe it isn't for you but it might save & help somebody else -  it all depends on the medication.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Yes, GoodRX was less than half the price of my Part D plan.  The insurance companies  profit off people who use their coverage.  Charging double what no insurance costs is totally unacceptable as is a discount program that's really not one.   I would drop it except it does protect in case of serious illness/surgeries/treatments.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq wrote:

Yes, GoodRX was less than half the price of my Part D plan.  The insurance companies  profit off people who use their coverage.  Charging double what no insurance costs is totally unacceptable as is a discount program that's really not one.   I would drop it except it does protect in case of serious illness/surgeries/treatments.

Think about how insurance works - with your Medicare Part D, you are in a plan with a group of people who are perhaps sicker than the population at large as a whole.  Within any insurance coverage, you share the risk - in essence, you pay for them and they pay for you -  

Insurance isn't a discount program - it is a way to limit your risk - that's all insurance.

For these drug discount plans (these aren't inusrance) , they are only discounting certain drugs and for a more generalized population.  

In the Medicare D coverage, by LAW, the plans have to cover almost all meds - the law says that each insurers has to cover at least (2) in each of most drug classifications and in (6) classes, they have to cover ALL of them and some are really expensive.

• immunosuppressants,
  • antidepressants,
  • antipsychotics,
  • anticonvulsants,
  • antiretrovirals, and
  • antineoplastics

KFF 10/19/2022 - An Overview of the Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Benefit

People need to stop thinking of "insurance" as a discount plan or a way to get stuff cheaper - it isn't - it protects you from exorbitant risk.

Exactly like your last sentence where you wrote said - I would drop it except it does protect in case of serious illness/surgeries/treatments.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I am aware of all that @GailL1 .  It is still wrong to charge people double with their insurance over what you pay without insurance.  We pay premiums to cover the cost of all people, not just myself.  I know that.  The copay is another thing entirely.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP