Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Foundation Donation TIme and ? for admins

Gold Conversationalist

AARP Foundation Donation TIme and ? for admins

One of the things I appreciate about the program is the opportunity to donate points to the AARP Foundation.    Admins, would you be able to tell us the amount of money that the rewards program has generated for the Foundation?    

There used to be two separate donation opportunities each month.   We are down to one, but is the total amount donated the same?   

How much is generated each month from our points donations?   

And for anyone new to these boards and in danger of losing inactive points in January, act now and donate points to the Foundation.    Makes us feel good and helps those in need.  If you wish to participate, do so now as even the opportunity to give sells out pretty quickly each month.

Gold Conversationalist

@gm5271 

Thanks so much for your informative post.  I think you are right about a set amount each month, and when that's reached, it's "sold out".

Social Butterfly

@AARPTeri 

I would like to see how much money is donated to the Foundation because of the redemption of our points.  We are stakeholders in the donation of the contribution because we redeem our earned points (provided by Allstate, now...lol) so that the donation can be made to the Foundation in the first place.

It would make us feel good and AARP should be proud enough of the rewards program to disclose this one number on a monthly/quarterly basis that we rewards members generously give.  We aren't asking how much the rewards programs gets from Allstate to provide the points or how much the customer service people are paid, or anything resembling that information.

Don't Hide it; Advertise it!

Thanks so much,

AndrewToo
Gold Conversationalist

I do not have any doubt that our contributions go to the foundation.   I tried the link but a search did not get me to the foundation budget.  Perhaps there is a line item in assets that shows the amount.  I  am not quite sure why the amount given is a secret.   We know it's limited to x dollars per month as it sells out pretty quickly.   I participate in Microsoft Rewards by doing daily quizzes and surveys.   The prizes are not much, but we can give our points to Feeding America or other charities.   The amount is shockingly small but we do know the amount generated by our personal point donation and the total amount given.  This comes in our end of month statement.

Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq 

Hi Hokie

I have seen financial reports of Foundation before can't recall a line item as Rewards members donations but possible there??

Also you can see their financial reports they give IRS on Charity Navigator rating reports for AARP Foundation which they have a good rating it is fairly detailed

On another note :

Amazon allows folks to shop AmazonSmile same site and prices just allows you to choose any charity to support & Amazon donates % of your purchases to your choice(mine is AARP Foundation) it is like you stated with Microsoft a very small amount & I get reports what they have donated from my purchases... sometimes only a few $$$ but I figure every bit helps plus with a million folks doing few $ it'll add up

Would be nice if that type info were available to Rewards members for our points donations

Even without any report I'm ok giving points for I feel same as you that the funds are truly given to Foundation highly suspect its a monthly set amount they give no matter our participation....either way it's a good thing and makes me feel good helping

Its a great cause with a great need 

Anyone @ScottF711920  who may have doubts/questions can go to Foundation site read all the great things doing for Seniors. AARP Foundation plays big role in Meal packing for Seniors also in my area they provide aid that helps provide Pet Foods and CatLitter to homebound Seniors who used Food Stamps in past buy groceries feed pets so now Seniors don't have make the tough choices of giving up pets or pets or them eating I've witnessed this sad reality 😢

Thanks again Hokie for the Topic

Stay safe everyone

Ginger  ;  )

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for supporting AARP Foundation! We’ve been pleased to have AARP Foundation contributions included in the AARP Rewards Catalog and are impressed by the generosity of participants over the past year. Thank you!

Every redemption that you make results in a $5 contribution to help seniors across the country struggling to get through the day as they face issues with hunger, housing, income and isolation. We expect to have more contribution opportunities back in January. At any time, you can give in other ways to the AARP Foundation at https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/ways-to-give/.

While AARP Rewards does not disclose financial information related to the program, you can find more information on AARP Foundation including the annual report and financial statements at https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/.

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

No transparency whatsoever...pathetic.

Not letting people know where their donations are going or what they're really being used for is extremely suspicious to say the least...I'll bet there's something else being done besides what is stated in the canned responses...

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPTeri 

Thanks Teri for sharing link to donate $$ since I didn't have it to add to my post

Thanks! 

Ginger ;  )

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq 

Thanks Hokie for your post...I would love to hear answers to your questions 

Andrew & I have asked in another thread why option to donate got cut down to only 1 per month we really never got satisfying answer 'just is way is' 😞 

So $5 value instead of$10 we can do when its the Holidays and great time of need by seniors now but I'm grateful still able to contribute with points...one of my main reasons being member of AARP Rewards program 

I'd like to add for those looking for ways to help financially($donation)  beyond points donations ....AARP Foundation is a good choice to consider for your year end donations.... you can donate any amount of funds online or mail in....I enjoy all the info sent to me in mail throughout the year telling all ways they are helping Seniors plus I always receive a yearly wall Calendar made each year from pics members send in... you can read all about AARP Foundation on AARP site... so please consider AARP Foundation in your giving this year 🤗😍

Thanks and God bless May we all have a safe and wonderful Christmas 🎄holiday season

Thanks! 

Ginger  ;  )

Conversationalist

Some transparency would be appreciated. Is there an administrative fee on the donations?

Regular Contributor

There's no transparency because they don't want you to know where the money might actually be going....

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP