Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WHY DOESN'T AARP DO THEIR JOB?

Message 1 of 9

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

In addition, just read that anyone using a tax preparation service, not prepaid, means the IRS does not have direct deposit information due to temporary accounts set up to receive refund so the service can collect their loan/fees then forward balance to filer.

#StaySafe

That's also right - this involves those people who use tax prep services and get an advance of their refund from the tax prep company - then when the actual refund is generated when the tax return is processed by the IRS, the tax refund goes to the Direct Deposit account set up by the tax service for this purpose since the tax filer has already received their (IRS refund) money. 

I think the bigger tax prep companies are having to work on this with the IRS - or they have given a list to the IRS to run against their system by SS#.  But what about the smaller companies that do the same thing.

A Boondoggle to say the least . . . . .   more thought of how all this works by the involved government agencies, more consultation with related experts in the involved fields would have made for a much smoother and simpler process.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@AARPCaroline wrote:

. . . . . . AARP has been on top of this issue from day one. AARP made sure that stimulus payments went to all individuals, whether working, unable to work or retired, and that Social Security recipients were eligible for the full $1,200, and not the proposed $600, in the final CARES Act law. We've covered all updates from the IRS on our website (example: https://aarp.info/3f5C9eb/) and have continued to push the IRS and U.S. Treasury for more information and transparency because members like you are concerned. Read our most recent letter here: https://aarp.info/3brJ1iE.

@AARPCaroline 

I think that AARP and other advocacy groups did a fine job in getting this Economic Impact Payment for those groups to whom they work as a non-profit entity.

However, it seems everybody forgot about those who are declared as "Dependents" and who are 17 years old or older - right or wrong, in tax filing.

Since this stimulus was qualified by income, dependency status and a working SS # and the route of payment was trying to be simplified, the process would have gone SO much smoother for ALL involved IF everybody that does NOT file an actual tax return would have been required to file just an "informational" return giving details of their specifics of eligibility and desired route of payment - the way it was initially planned - that way the IRS would have had the needed information without having to involve other agencies, various benefits. 

The desire to make this process as simple as possible for various groups by advocacy has actually turned the resulting government processes in completing it into a boondoggle. We are not all the same in income types and amounts, filing status or the way payments are paid.

If there is ever a next time, perhaps the (any) advocacy group should think some more about the actual (physical / technological) processes of completion and the steps that have to be taken based on the differences in eligibility and mode of payment.  Just sayin . . . . . . . .

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@nctarheel AARP has been on top of this issue from day one. AARP made sure that stimulus payments went to all individuals, whether working, unable to work or retired, and that Social Security recipients were eligible for the full $1,200, and not the proposed $600, in the final CARES Act law. We've covered all updates from the IRS on our website (example: https://aarp.info/3f5C9eb/) and have continued to push the IRS and U.S. Treasury for more information and transparency because members like you are concerned. Read our most recent letter here: https://aarp.info/3brJ1iE.

As someone who both paid taxes and receives Social Security benefits, that's correct that you do not need to provide any information to the IRS to receive your stimulus payment if eligible. You will receive it either by direct deposit or by mailed check. AARP cannot confirm the exact timing and method of payment for individuals. The information in the Get My Payment tool at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment will be correct. AARP has urged the IRS to set up a phone line for people to ask questions about their stimulus payments since we have heard from our members that the online tools don't always have complete information and that people still have outstanding questions. 

AARP Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@GailL1 wrote:

@nctarheel 

This recent article in the WP might answer some questions for you and others.  They aren't finished doing the SS Retirement/Spousal/ Survivors, SSDI, RRB Direct Deposits yet.  They are being done in waves as the files are checked against other files.  It is a big and complicated job and of course, many in the IRS are still under "stay at home" order in DC.  Think some of them volunteered to go back to work about the end of April / beginning of May.

WP 05/11/2020 - Still waiting for your stimulus check?  

from the link ~

If you fall within the income limits to get a payment, (and are otherwise eligible) you should get an economic impact payment. Not having it by now doesn’t mean you aren’t getting the money. It could just mean the IRS hasn’t gotten to you yet. Because you have not filed taxes for years, your payment will be based on your status of receiving Social Security, and as such, you were not in the first wave of folks getting payments.

Think of it like the lines at the supermarket.

People who got their payments already were in the “15 items or less” line. They had a return on file with the IRS and — this is key — had a refund due to them in 2018 or 2019.

Then there are the other lines. Some appear long, but the cashier gets people through fairly quickly.

Most frustrating is the line with the chatty cashier. It looks short, but it takes super long — that’s people getting Social Security, survivor, disability, Supplemental Security Income, Railroad Retirement, or veterans compensation and pension benefits. You would think this line would go quicker because their information is already on file at a government agency or department. But it’s not at the IRS. So the IRS had to get information from the Social Security Administration or Department of Veterans Affairs, transfer that information to its system, and then start making payments.

I know this is hard to hear, but you have to just be patient. The money is coming if you’re entitled to it; you’re just in the line with the well-meaning but slow or chatty cashier.

MORE at the link ~

@GailL1 great post!

In addition, just read that anyone using a tax preparation service, not prepaid, means the IRS does not have direct deposit information due to temporary accounts set up to receive refund so the service can collect their loan/fees then forward balance to filer.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@nctarheel wrote:

@GailL1 

From what I have read, it was my understanding that people in my situation were going to have their stimulus direct deposited into their account by virtue of having their Social Security Retirement being direct deposited into their account.

THIS WAS WRONG!!!!

I just had a change in the "Get My Payment" at IRS. They are mailing me a check, not using my direct deposit information.

That IS NOT what I have read.

The fact that it took so long for retirees in my situation to receive their stimulus just points out what a state of confusion exists in the TRUMP ADMINISTRATION.

If I remember some of your post correctly - you filed a tax return.

The same with me - I always have to file and people that filed a tax return as soon as their return was process got put into the system to get their money 1st because the IRS had all the info they needed on the tax return.

The manner in which us tax filers got their EIP money was whatever was on their tax return for a "refund" if that be the case. The IRS cannot use info for a bank draws for taxes owed because of legalities.

I like you - got a check back on May 1 because we are income tax filers. 

I believe the blame here may lie in some advocacy groups not wanting NON-tax filers to have to submit an informational return to get everybody's information to use for this EIP.  This was the way the Treasury/IRS wanted it done in the 1st place.

Think about the complication of this process.  It is not like other stimulus payment which were given out to everybody in the same amount.  The qualifiers for the EIP is INCOME, dependent status and age, and a working SS #. 

Irregardless of what administration is in office,

• IF the CARE ACT is worded the same on who get this EIP,
  • IF the ACT bases eligibility  on the same qualifers - income, dependency status with age, working SS # -
  • IF NON-income tax filers are included in the EIP eligibility
  • IF these advocacy group(s) pitch the same fit about NOT requiring NON-filer people to submit an informational return to the IRS
  • IF DC was in a lockdown mode for many IRS workers

The results would be the same - regardless of the Administration in charge at the time.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

@GailL1 

From what I have read, it was my understanding that people in my situation were going to have their stimulus direct deposited into their account by virtue of having their Social Security Retirement being direct deposited into their account.

THIS WAS WRONG!!!!

I just had a change in the "Get My Payment" at IRS. They are mailing me a check, not using my direct deposit information.

That IS NOT what I have read.

The fact that it took so long for retirees in my situation to receive their stimulus just points out what a state of confusion exists in the TRUMP ADMINISTRATION.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

@nctarheel 

This recent article in the WP might answer some questions for you and others.  They aren't finished doing the SS Retirement/Spousal/ Survivors, SSDI, RRB Direct Deposits yet.  They are being done in waves as the files are checked against other files.  It is a big and complicated job and of course, many in the IRS are still under "stay at home" order in DC.  Think some of them volunteered to go back to work about the end of April / beginning of May.

WP 05/11/2020 - Still waiting for your stimulus check?  

from the link ~

If you fall within the income limits to get a payment, (and are otherwise eligible) you should get an economic impact payment. Not having it by now doesn’t mean you aren’t getting the money. It could just mean the IRS hasn’t gotten to you yet. Because you have not filed taxes for years, your payment will be based on your status of receiving Social Security, and as such, you were not in the first wave of folks getting payments.

Think of it like the lines at the supermarket.

People who got their payments already were in the “15 items or less” line. They had a return on file with the IRS and — this is key — had a refund due to them in 2018 or 2019.

Then there are the other lines. Some appear long, but the cashier gets people through fairly quickly.

Most frustrating is the line with the chatty cashier. It looks short, but it takes super long — that’s people getting Social Security, survivor, disability, Supplemental Security Income, Railroad Retirement, or veterans compensation and pension benefits. You would think this line would go quicker because their information is already on file at a government agency or department. But it’s not at the IRS. So the IRS had to get information from the Social Security Administration or Department of Veterans Affairs, transfer that information to its system, and then start making payments.

I know this is hard to hear, but you have to just be patient. The money is coming if you’re entitled to it; you’re just in the line with the well-meaning but slow or chatty cashier.

MORE at the link ~

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

It’s simple. IRS does what they want regardless of what they say. I’m all signed up with direct deposit, etc. I finally found my check in my mailbox today.   Here is one other thing I learned about IRS. They can tell you in person and by letter about your tax situation. But if they make an error, it’s all on you to do what they really want. That is not right but IRS has some odd rules.  

Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

WHY DOESN'T AARP DO THEIR JOB?

Message 9 of 9

Thousands upon thousands of AARP members have yet to receive their stimulus payments. This includes people like myself who:

(1) Paid 2019 tax thus didn't need to provide Direct Deposit information to the IRS.

(2) Receives Social Security Retirement by Direct Deposit monthly from the Social Security Administration.

(3) Is eligible for the stimulus based on income.

(4) According to the stimulus instructions, I did not need to do anything as the IRS would use my SSA's direct deposit information to deposit the stimulus in my account.

(5) IRS's web site continuously states I am eligible but they don't have Direct Deposit information. This same message has existed on their site for weeks.

I asked AARP directly to look into this situation.

I asked moderators like @AARPsneed and others.

I know there are other moderators, like @AARPLynne and @Underbat that can pass this concern along for their members but it seems like there has been no action whatsoever.

Millions have received their stimulus already, weeks ago.

But not this group.

What's up AARP?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users