Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Contributor

VERY VERY DEPRESSED S ENIOR. In OREGON

OK.I'M 73 and was very isolated during pandemiici i,am very very depressed in Eugene OR THERE IS NO SUPPORT IN EUGENE OREGON other than suicide hot llines.--there's no MENTALL HELPP ON MEDICARE AND MEDICADE--not in Lane,noT in Springfield I'm not computing any more.my arthritis is killing me.i give up.i'm losing weight who care.im too depressed there iias OUCJH. NO MENTAL HELP FOR SENIORS ON MEDICARE.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@clarachan Thank you for taking the time to share your story. Here is a link to the details of the mental health benefit if you have Medicare: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/mental-health-care-outpatient 

The Lane County Health and Human Services website may also have resources to assist you with locating mental health services: https://lanecounty.org/government/county_departments/health_and_human_services/public_health/2019_no...

AARP Community Connections https://aarpcommunityconnections.org/ is a new website that offers steps to find help – or give it – during the coronavirus pandemic. At a time when people are self-isolating, the website connects you to support in your community. If you need help, you can use AARP Community Connections to find assistance right in your community. If you're feeling socially isolated, you can request a phone call from the AARP Friendly Voices program for yourself or a loved one. Volunteers are available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. — 5 p.m. ET.

To receive a call from our Friendly Voices volunteers, visit aarpcommunityconnections.org and the Request a call link is located in the top toolbar, fill out and submit the form. (If you visit the link from a mobile device, select the Menu icon and then select Request a call.)

You can also call 1-888-281-0145 and leave us your information and we will call you back.

Please know you are not alone in this and I am here to help if there is anything I can do. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@clarachan 

I would like to ask you a question.  

Do you think that your current mental health state is the result of isolation associated with the Pandemic or did you have mental health problems before the Pandemic and the condition has been heightened as a result.  

Sounds like you do need help but we are located just about everywhere in the US so it is hard to give you a direct source for help.  

Traditional Medicare has a doctor locator by specialty - I see there are a few Psychiatric groups that accept Medicare assignments listed in Eugene and Springfield, Oregon - I did not see any in Lane. Medicare Search and Compare Providers by Area 

If you are on some type of managed care plan (perhaps Medicare/Medicaid) or a Medicare Advantage health plan, they have networks of doctors and sometimes they have programs that can include transportation to Doctor appointments.  So check with your Medicare health provider.

You should have contact info to your plan whatever it might be.  Your doc should be able to help your arthritis pain and maybe something to help ease your mental state and perhaps a referral.

There maybe other organizations in your area that may help too - perhaps a church or a senior center.  

I know this sounds very cliché but when we are alone, we have to reach out - especially locally for help of whatever nature.  It is like that for medical needs or even things like a home repair.  But if you just want to chat to see if that gives some help, boards like this can be helpful. 

Hoping you find some help real soon.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Social Butterfly

@GailL1 Excellent advice.  Great resources.  Sometimes it can help to talk to others that have dealt with depression personally.  ---   Christine

Super Contributor

Oregon Medical Group Health & medical
2830 Crescent Ave, Eugene · (541) 686-9000
Open · Closes 5 PM  WEBSITE

Trillium Community Health Insurance
1800 Millrace Dr, Eugene · (541) 431-1950
WEBSITE

Medicare Plans Resource Center
1011 Valley River Way Ste 116A, Eugene, OR 97401
(541) 654-4207
medicareplansresourcecenter.com

Pacific Source Medicare
2965 NE Conners Ave, Bend, OR 97701
(541) 385-5315
medicare.pacificsource.com

Social Butterfly

@clarachan If you are having thoughts of hurting yourself, please call your doctor immediately and get in immediately.  Take a trusted friend or family member to go with you if you can.  You need supportive people around you.  I have been where you are, there is no shame in getting help for depression, it's an act of courage.  For me the red flags are sleeping poorly, losing appetite and feeling helpless.  You mentioned losing weight and giving up. It all probably seems overwhelming, and it's hard to see that your situation can improve.  It can. I and millions of people who have been diagnosed with depression/ anxiety have been right where you are now.  You can get treatment.  There is HOPE.  Please get the support and help you need. You can get through this.   ---   Christine

Conversationalist

Medicare and Medicaid does cover mental health services.It covers counseling and therapy and telehealth.Talk with your doctor and see what they can suggest..If it isn't local maybe you could do video zoom appointments.I recall reading about a service that will call Seniors daily just to check on them and have someone to speak with when they are isolated.Sorry I don't recall information about it but whatever you do...DO NOT...give up.Call or whatever it takes to get back on track.Help is out there.Sometimes it just takes a little time to find what fits with your needs.

Social Butterfly

@clarachan 

Hey Clarachan  😍

I've had/deal with isolation/loneliness issues for several years for numerous reasons b4 pandemic and gotten worse since so much time alone during pandemic

So know this as I have to remind myself 'Your not alone' {{{{HUGS}}}}

There is hope and help

The program that @MemberS2006 is referring to I believe is a program through AARP Connect services "Connect2Affect" program that you can access links to from AARP site (see below also) 

They offer calls to check on Also a chat bot that you can communicate with & many other forms of help & ways to connect

https://connect2affect.org/chatbot/ 

Good luck and take care

Your not alone 

Folks are here... only a post away also there's private messages available here in community (click anyones name & select send private message) if you'd like to personally contact others in community & can set as friend 

Have a beautiful weekend and holiday! 

Ginger  ;  )

Social Butterfly

@gm5271 Thank you for sending out encouragement.  Very important to know there is help and hope at all times.   ---  Christine

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP