Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views
Replies

MAJOR PROBLEMS RENEWING MY AARP ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

Message 1 of 1

This year my AARP Roadside Assistance was scheduled to renew on 4/18/2019. I didn't have the $94 to renew, so I called well before April 18th and told them NOT to renew it yet. I said I would call them in a few days and renew. No problem. I called back on 4/29/2018 to renew. I updated my credit card info, and AARP issued me a $5 credit that day, and they were supposed to bill me the $94 at the same time. I thought they had. Then at the end of May, the $94 was taken from my account when I didn't have even $20 in the bank. I called the day I saw it (end of May) and explained that I had thought the payment had already been deducted. They told me that even though they had the CORRECT Visa card #, they attempted to bill an old account# 6 TIMES without me knowing it. On the 7th try, it went through the right card and overdrafted my account, costing me $70 in bank fees. I called AARP immediately and finally had to talk to a supervisor after 3 attempts to do so. How could they issue me a credit of $5 from the right account, then try to bill the $94 from an old, deleted account? I demanded a refund, which they said will take 3-4 days. Then I can call my bank & have the fees removed. It took me 3 phone calls, and 2 promises of a supervisor calling me back, which they never did. Today I called & insisted talking to a supervisor. She could not explain why the deleted VISA was billed when I had updated my info on 4/29/19. Finally I was told that the billing dept. would issue me a refund in 3-4 days. It was all AARP's fault, a fault in their system. I had to aggressively follow up to get this done. They said they only contact the member if the charge comes back as insufficient funds. I said that was ridiculous, and they needed to change the way they bill customers. All of this because of 1 rep who said she would take care of everything at the end of May, when I called back. She did not. I already had a problem with AARP sending out a renewal notice every 3 months (I paid for 3 years), and posted that on this website. The response from other members was OVERWHELMING in favor of stopping this repeated billing attempt. The only other entities I have encountered doing this were MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTIONS. They start trying to get you to renew right after you pay for a year's subscription. They want you to overpay. When my grandmother died 7 years ago, she had triple-renewed her membership because she was getting notices every 3 months or so. AARP never contacted her to address the overpayment. They only did something when I contacted THEM. So I blogged about it. AARP had some shady billing practices, and older people can get confused, thinking they had to pay whenever they got these PLEASE RENEW letters. Watch out. If you start getting repeated renewal requests, YOU have to call THEM to stop the mailings. I don't like it. And I won't be renewing my Roadside Assistance with AARP any more. Check with your car insurance company, and often they can do the same thing for less money. I thank you for your time.

D. Olsen, North Carolina

Bob and Debbie
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season