Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Social Butterfly

How to "mute" someone's posts

This is a general question: how to "mute" (set to not show posts of certain member(s).

For example, mute is not available on the individual options menu:

AARPmute.png

The profile is set to ignore in personal settings, but assuming that only pertains to PMs?

Thanks for explanation.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@AARPLynne still cannot mute and there are more and more some may want to (including me, perhaps)...

PLEASE, AARP activate the mute option, PLEASE...

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

You do realize that this mute remedy you are looking for does not actually mute anyone. You simply cannot mute anyone here. This option only exists for those that begin a thread, by which you will see the option for 'Mute' open, not greyed-out. Even then, it's not that you are able to mute anyone, even those that post in your thread. I suppose that whomever you wanted to mute so eagerly will be someone you'd want to 'ignore user,' however, that would still not prevent you from seeing their posts. It's misleading, and disappointing. Believe me, I get it. Bottom-line, there is no way you can prevent seeing someone you'd like to mute, or ignore, here. It's not an option, I guess it's just not a thing. Sorry. We must just all deal with the goings-on of all users, and make our own decisions on those we want to ignore by not reading their posts. It's just that simple, and it's just that this is why it's called a community. Everyone has their way of expression, has their way of doing what they do, saying what they say, and if you're not faced with censorship by the mod, you are just being you. How beautiful is that? 

Retired Community Manager

Hello, everyone, I'm providing a little more information on this topic. The mute option will only appear if you are subscribed to the board. We also want to make sure we're clear about what this feature is. The feature, as designed, is intended not to mute an individual user, but to mute notifications from a specific board or thread that you may be subscribed to. For instance, you want to stay subscribed to a board, but one particular thread has blown up, and your inbox is flooded with notifications. Rather than forcing someone to unsubscribe from the board, you can mute just that one thread.

The other feature you may be thinking of is for Ignore User. This is done by going to the offending person’s profile and using the Quick Links to find Ignore User, like so:

Quick Links|Ignore UserQuick Links|Ignore User

Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, @AARPLynne! Just wanted to let you know that the 'Ignore User', is not working. When I click on 'Ignore user,' and refresh the page, it still shows, 'Ignore User.' Thus, when I clicked the' Ignore User,' it resets, and never sets the 'Ignore User,' although I've told the program to set it this way. What about that? It's obvious the 'Ignore User' is not working. Please help. 

Conversationalist

I was wondering the same! 🙂 Seems it's there in the drop-down, but it's greyed-out and/or not active/useable. Not that I want to 'mute' anyone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mute.png

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅5̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] (☉౪ ⊙)
Social Butterfly

Without that "Mute" choice available, I do not think there is any way not to view a user's post.

It would appear that one would have to use the "hands over eyes" or "scroll fast past" method. 🐱

I am sorry that this is needed. I hope it isn't me you want to mute. 🐱

The only suggestion I have, is for those that are only interested in certain threads. And that would not help if the posts you don't want to see are in those particular threads. But it might help those that don't want to scroll through the whole "View All" page to find a thread that they are interested in viewing.

Bookmarking threads you are interested in. I made a graphic some time ago that shows how to do that. And after bookmarking, you can just go to the "Forum" drop down arrow at the top right of the page and the list of your bookmarked pages will be at the top of the forum list.

quicktutonbookmark.jpg

Regular Social Butterfly

Thanks, @Vexed and @Jason2020LovesKelly !

@AARPMaggie please read and respond?

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Conversationalist

Maggie hasn't logged-in since 9/26/2022. FYI.

Hi @Jason2020LovesKelly, please note, Maggie provides expertise around the AARP Staying Sharp initiative but isn't a moderator for the overall Online Community.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I'm well aware of this, just suggesting to the OP that their tag may not reach Maggie, or be expedited because the Admin had not logged-in since 9/26/2022. Thanks anyway. 

Regular Social Butterfly

Thx, Jason! @AARPLynne would you please re-direct this to appropriate AARP person? Thank you in advance!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong

Hi @WebWiseWoman, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I see what you're saying; for some reason the "mute" functionality is turned off. Let me see if I can get to the bottom of this. @Vexed, you gave me a good chuckle.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP