Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Free Phone Charger from AARP

I received the free phone charger from AARP when I renewed my membership.  It took 6 hours to charge my cell phone when it usually only takes an hour.  On the bottom of the charger it states the output is 5.0 volts but when I tested it the output was 0.2 volts, which is 4.8 volts less than stated.  Anyone else have this issue or did I just get a bad one? 

0 Kudos

At least yours seems to have come with a plug!!  Mine came without one

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Certainly you could have gotten a defective charger. Glad to see AARP is stepping up.

In my world, a failing phone battery is typically the main reason for me to get a new phone. As in when a full charge does not last me a full day. That said, when I started with the phone I have now, I looked into battery longevity practices and discovered using optimized charging ( 6 - 8 hours overnight) whenever possible. I don't mind having an older model phone as long as it meets my bare needs. I am the same with cars, so have not gone EV or Hybrid yet. If I am still able to drive by the time I do change, hopefully I will have good charging habits to get that same longevity. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Many electronics charging devices today are switching devices. it is possible the micro voltage you saw with testing would be the signal voltage, which once connected to a recognized device, increases to charging voltage. The speed of charging would be impacted by the amperage or wattage rating. I have my iPhone set up for optimized charging, meaning a very slow, typically overnight charge, as this slow charge extends battery longevity. I still plug mine in. My wife uses an inductive charger. Anyone buying one of those should consider the wattage in comparison shopping. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for your reply - an interesting thought.  I also tested our other chargers and they produce 5 volts as stated on the label and charge our phones in about an hour.  I have serious doubts about the AARP charger producing 5 volts even when connected to a device since it took 6 hours to charge one phone.  AARP is sending me another charger, which I will test when it arrives.  It will be interesting to see if there is any difference.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@edward12lyon Your replacement gift was ordered this morning and you can expect to receive it within 3-4 weeks by mail. Once it ships, you will be able to track it online. Learn more here: Where Is My Free AARP Gift? Let me know if there's anything I can do!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP