Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

BEWARE of Hartford Auto BAIT and SWITCH

BEWARE of Hartford Auto BAIT and SWITCH

I switched to AARP Hartford Auto Insurance last year.  The premium for the first year was very attractive saving us about $200 compared to our previous carrier.

BUT,  when the policy renewed after the first year, Hartford has raised the premiums by 28%.  I have no claims, perfect driving record, and no changes to the policy.  Hartford customer service has no credible explanation for the increase.  This looks like a classic BAIT and SWITCH to me.  I am hugely disappointed in Hartford and will be switching insurance again after getting some new quotes from different companies.  AARP should seriously look at what businesses they endorse. 

SammieS.
Contributor

Same issue with the Hartford insurance. 3/14/22 my policy cost $668 for 6 months.  Now ONLY TWO YEARS LATER it is $1479. WHY????? I have not had any accidents or claims. I have not changed anything. I have no citations or warnings on my driving record. I live in a small city that does not have the accidents like Phoenix. So what gives? Cant be high claims here. Price of repair is an excuse. Charge the people with clams double and not those of us without claims.

Anyway, it is a disgrace that AARP endorses The Hartford and weasels us into thinking they are a good insurance company for the safe elderly drivers.

AARP dump the endorsement for The Hartford. They bait and switch. Don't drag the good name of AARP into that gutter.

AARP members, please for your own good, do not purchase auto insurance from The Hartford. They will jack your premiums by a huge amount every premium period regardless of your driving record or no claims status. Go elsewhere.

Keith

Community Concierge

@KeithB867230 We're sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team.  - Janelle M.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

(3/10/24) @KeithB867230 , sad to say but all AARP cares about is the MONEY they get from HARTFORD to endorse them. Hopefully with time, with enough COMPLAINTS, AARP will change.  ๐Ÿ™„

[*** KEITH @KeithB867230 wrote:

Same issue with the Hartford insurance. 3/14/22 my policy cost $668 for 6 months.  Now ONLY TWO YEARS LATER it is $1479. WHY????? I have not had any accidents or claims. I have not changed anything. I have no citations or warnings on my driving record. I live in a small city that does not have the accidents like Phoenix. So what gives? Cant be high claims here. Price of repair is an excuse. Charge the people with clams double and not those of us without claims.

Anyway, it is a disgrace that AARP endorses The Hartford and weasels us into thinking they are a good insurance company for the safe elderly drivers.

AARP dump the endorsement for The Hartford. They bait and switch. Don't drag the good name of AARP into that gutter.

AARP members, please for your own good, do not purchase auto insurance from The Hartford. They will jack your premiums by a huge amount every premium period regardless of your driving record or no claims status. Go elsewhere.

Keith ***]

0 Kudos

We are fairly new members of AARP and got a good quote from Hartford for Auto Insurance, beating GEICO. After the first year, we got a renewal notice that said it was to renew at 16% more. We shopped it and found a better rate. Hartford has friendly salespeople but the claims department folks are not helpful. They kind of stink. They suck at communication. 

This company also sends out blanket emails with the wrong payment information and the wrong dates for automatic renewal.

I compare rates every year on auto insurance, and because we live in FL where insurance is akin to organized crime, we shop our homeowners policy every year. Buyer beware and all that. It's more work but worth it.

Contributor

Ha, another bad deal from The Hartford.  In my case, I simply went through AARP to get a quote for a new vehicle that I'll be leasing soon, a BMW "M" car.  I've been driving such vehicles for many years and have never had a claim or citation in recorded history.  I'm 80 and thankfully in fine shape, both physically and cognitively.  When I spoke with a male Hartford representative, I was given a not-so-pleasant lecture on how I should not be driving BMW M cars, even the new more compact models.  I was firmly told that The Hartford would not provide insurance for such vehicles.   What BS.  I then checked with Liberty Mutual, my current insurer, and was told "no problem" for someone like me, with a clean record.  

Community Concierge

@AAPP Iโ€™m sorry to hear that youโ€™ve had a negative experience with our provider, The Hartford. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with one of our representatives who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team.  - Janelle M.

0 Kudos

(2/28/24) @AAPP , lol - luv your site "username" and CONGRATS on still driving!!! Gosh I hope I will be at your age. 66 this year. ENJOY your BMW  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @AAPP wrote:

Ha, another bad deal from The Hartford.  In my case, I simply went through AARP to get a quote for a new vehicle that I'll be leasing soon, a BMW "M" car.  I've been driving such vehicles for many years and have never had a claim or citation in recorded history.  I'm 80 and thankfully in fine shape, both physically and cognitively.  When I spoke with a male Hartford representative, I was given a not-so-pleasant lecture on how I should not be driving BMW M cars, even the new more compact models.  I was firmly told that The Hartford would not provide insurance for such vehicles.   What BS.  I then checked with Liberty Mutual, my current insurer, and was told "no problem" for someone like me, with a clean record.  ***]

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with The Hartford, @JeanH297954. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

0 Kudos

(2/28/24) @JeanH297954 , I am doing BOTH Florida and Virginia at age 66 this year. I am SHOCKED how "expensive" Florida is now. I left in 2015, retired in 2020. Anyway, I guess with time Florida Insurance will decrease. Until then, my 2006 Hyundai Elantra is staying in Virginia. As far as HARTFORD, I will NEVER buy them. Had Geico in Florida. Allstate in Virginia. My daughter has Progressive in Florida for car and townhouse.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** JEAN @JeanH297954 wrote:

We are fairly new members of AARP and got a good quote from Hartford for Auto Insurance, beating GEICO. After the first year, we got a renewal notice that said it was to renew at 16% more. We shopped it and found a better rate. Hartford has friendly salespeople but the claims department folks are not helpful. They kind of stink. They suck at communication. 

This company also sends out blanket emails with the wrong payment information and the wrong dates for automatic renewal.

I compare rates every year on auto insurance, and because we live in FL where insurance is akin to organized crime, we shop our homeowners policy every year. Buyer beware and all that. It's more work but worth it. ***]

0 Kudos

Hartford insured for 3 years. No tickets, no accidents, no claims. My 4/2024 quote is $2,391, last year was $1,642, an increase of 48%. Hartford's underwriting is basing their rate on whatever the market will bear. Not 'What do we need to charge to cover our cost of capital.' And so long as the Hartford continues to pay its franchise fee, frankly AARP doesn't give a **bleep**!

Happened to us as well!  $280 dollar increase!  When I called, no explanation except letโ€™s see what benefit we can lower.  Smh so disappointed.

33% increase!!

Contributor

Same thing has happened to me, and I too have clean driving record with excellent credit.  I switched in Oct 2022, next renewal increased 28.5%, then next renewal went up another 31% and now another 30.5% coming for next payment. 

Total bait/switch scam of insurance!  AARP should stop promoting their insurance!!!!!

Contributor

Agreed

AARP dump The Hartford ASAP!!

Good people are getting scammed and sucked into this bad auto insurance company.

Keith

Info Seeker

I paid in full and still received a bill for 125.00 because of Their trash driving app wasn't compatible with my new phone. I've checked other insurance who have driving apps but it's a choice. I am looking to change my insurance carrier before the 6 months price jack. I'm so disappointed but I can afford to buy another policy in full until the hartford refund me and they can stick that app where the sun don't shine. 

Community Concierge

I'm so sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team.  - Janelle M.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Exactly what does "WE ARE LISTENING" Even mean. Nothing changes with the Hartford RIDICULOUS Increases. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

My heart goes out to you. I had dealings with Hartford many years ago, and I was not satisfied.

I hate to note this, but this is not bait and switch. Bait-and-switch is "the action of advertising goods which are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods:" Everyone here, AFAIK, got their $200 special offer. Was there any mention of lifetime price and benefits lock? When the customers went to buy another year's contract, well, no discount. Credit card and cable TV companies call it an "introductory offer." Retail stores call it "first (item) at X% discount." This is the new old way of capturing customers. Maybe some customers will leave after the introductory offer is realized, but most will renew. That is just human nature; caveat emptor, too good to be true, etc. I feel for you, I hate when that happens to me, but that is a legal and time-honored way to do business. Customers gripe, but that is why some businesses have a bad rep, yet they keep going strong.

BTW, please notice that companies that advertise "price lock for N years" never mention that the benefits are not guaranteed, just the price. Benefits, "plans," may and likely will change with time, usually not for the better. Another legal and time-honored way to drum up business.

Caveat emptor.

This just happened to me as well.  My renewal after six months went up over $200.  You cannot tell me this wasn't a total bait-and-switch situation.  Nothing has changed, no accidents, no claims, no tickets, nothing.  I am absolutely furious about this - they know what they are doing, and it is entirely wrong to put members in a financial situation like this.  They would still be about $150 less every six months, and I probably still would have switched, but this feels completely unethical and dishonest.  

Info Seeker

Yes, I enrolled in home and auto insurance because their premiums were below my prior insurance. Since enrolling six month ago, I have had no tickets, no accidents, I have TruLane, I had defensive driving class, I pay in full. Yet, my premium for auto increase $60.00. Now I'm close to my prior premium and if this occurs every six months..... Surely AARP will investigate all these complaints about Hartford since they recommend it. 

marian letellier
Community Concierge

Hello Marian. I am sorry to read about your experience. You can always contact AARP for help if there's an issue with an AARP provider or questions or suggestions for AARP. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/) to contact us by phone, chat or text.

•            Description of your issue and/or suggestion

•            Mention that you are requesting an escalation

We look forward to hearing from you!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I've been with AARPTheHartford for many years now. With zero claims in all of this time on both policies our home insurance still went up $200.00 and our car insurance went up $300.00!!! Time to shop around. What a joke this insurance has turned into!

This seems to be a common insurance provider practice. I am leaving Allstate because my first renewal of my car insurance went from $749 for 6 months to $895 for 2 cars with no tickets, accidents or claims. My search for a new company  brought me to AARP/The Hartford which I was going to move to until reading these reviews.

Yeah well they baited and switched me right on the jump with the quote telling me that I couldn't use the membership that my grandmother bought me to get the bigger discount. I had to get my own and it jacked up almost $30 from the quote I had online prior to calling them.

Glad I went with my instinct and told them no. Glad I found this to validate me. 

Periodic Contributor

Hi there, here to help! We certainly understand your concern regarding The Hartford. We would be glad to work with the Escalation team at The Hartford to have this investigated for you. If you are still having difficulties with The Hartford, please either give us a call at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) to request an Escalation or send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, โ€œAARPMariamaAโ€ into the โ€œSend toโ€ box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage . Please provide the following details in your message:

• Full name
  • AARP Membership # (or home address)
  • Phone # and email address to contact you
  • Description of your issue

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

YES!  AARPHartford is a huge scam....they raised my home insurance 105%...more than double in one year, raised car insurance 25%.    No reason, my credit rating excellent, no claims, they just figured it was time to stick it to a complacent old coger who will just pay it, believing the LIE that he has the best rate that AARP got for old folks.   AARP is just a business, they sell their name and get paid to endorse an insurance co who bids for the endorsement and then  rips their members off.    AARP should be getting us members the best, the cheapest rates, negotiating great deals for us ......but noooooo nooononono....AARP sells it name to an insurance co that charges you DOUBLE!!!...I called Allstate, the same insurance coverage/same house that Hartford AARP charged $2085.  is only $1050.  my car insurance  reduced from almost $1200 , down to $950  with Allstate.   AARP should be ashamed....selling out its trusting members to be cheated and over charged

Periodic Contributor

YES - Definitely bait and switch! They did the same to me and, when asked, said the medical care and car repair costs have gone up. They wanted to raise my rates (perfect driving history, no claims) by 38.65%. But luckily for me - so they say - since I obtained the 23% discount for participating in the HORRID 6-month tracking program (that's another story!), my insurance will only increase slightly this year upon renewal. AARP should drop their sponsorship of this fraudulent insurance. Looking online, insurance rates are ACTUALLY only up 8% in 2023 from 2022 - NOT 36%+. The agent said "everything's going up - have you been to the grocery store lately?" - as though I'm dumb and needed placated to believe this nonsense. I may be older, but I'm definitely wiser. BAD COMPANY

Regular Contributor

thanks for all the kudos  lattitude,  if youwant to have some fun/frustration, call upsome exec's in the AARP org.....ask them to reveal how much Hartford is paying them for it's "endorsement"and "branding rights"  (multimillions I bet)    they won't reveal it, try to chnge the subject, try to act all concerned, say they'll look intoit...in the end...members are thrown under the Hartford bus, so AARP exec's can ride that bus wth profits and high salaries...NOT WORKING FOR MEMBERS BENIFIT.

Know a good lawyer?  i will provide them incontrovertable documented evidence of nearly double the cost of house and car insurrance  for same identical coverage.

AARPHartford did the same thing to me, increased my auto insurance, almost double, for no apparent reason. When I called to ask, why this is happening they didn't provide me with a valid answer. They only said "Sorry I don't have an answer". AARP should look into their relationship with THE HARTFORD.

AARP re-focus it should be about the membership. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP