BEWARE of Hartford Auto BAIT and SWITCH

I switched to AARP Hartford Auto Insurance last year.  The premium for the first year was very attractive saving us about $200 compared to our previous carrier.

BUT,  when the policy renewed after the first year, Hartford has raised the premiums by 28%.  I have no claims, perfect driving record, and no changes to the policy.  Hartford customer service has no credible explanation for the increase.  This looks like a classic BAIT and SWITCH to me.  I am hugely disappointed in Hartford and will be switching insurance again after getting some new quotes from different companies.  AARP should seriously look at what businesses they endorse. 

SammieS.
Contributor

We recently had a similar increase as well, approx. 30%.  We also switched to Hartford because they gave us a really good rate to start with.  Very frustrating.. I wouldn't expect it to be because of our ages!

Laurie

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@SammieS99563  Hi there! AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the rate increase of your Hartford Auto insurance policy. We’d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at The Hartford for their thorough review and investigation if you’d like, as there are a multitude of factors that impact your rate. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPAngelaC” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage

Please provide the following details in your message:
- AARP membership number (or home address)
- Best contact phone number
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I can't give you a specific explanation EXCEPT that insurance is a shared and shared alike type program and many things will affect your premiums outside of yourself and your specific record.

1.  Your age and the age of others in your household who are of driving age.  There are many age point increases just like there are increases and decreases in other age / other characteristics in earlier years in our life.

2.  The cost of [new and used] vehicles - as these cost rise they affect your premiums because if you hit one, your insurance pays.  Repair cost as well as Replacement cost -

3.  The amount of traffic, the number of accidents in your general area - your zip code and the surrounding area.

4.  The number of people that are UN-insured or UNDER-insured or lack drivers licenses in your general area if you have that coverage on your policy.

5.  The number and type of claims in your general area - not just yours - EVERYBODY.

6.  Know what extra coverage is added on - stuff like Accident Forgiveness / Declining Deductible

all add to the cost too.

One thing that you didn't mention was under which type of coverage you saw the most increase - Liability, Comprehensive,   UN- or UNDER-Insured coverage - both liability and property coverage.

When shopping coverage, you have to compare a lot of different categories for a reasonable comparison:  See if you qualify for any discounts or could by taking some type of action. 

What about raising your deductible limits?  Did your various limits stay the same when you switched before or were these limits raised?  Did you pick up or drop any accessory coverage like towing / rental car coverage and are these the same as before.

Once you know what you actually have by deciphering the policy, do an analysis of your existing coverage and then compare [the same or as close as you can] with other companies.

What special member benefits do you get with them by being an AARP member?  Make sure you read their details and disclaimers.  Are you paying for more things than you might need or don't get in another policy?

https://www.thehartford.com/aarp/car-insurance/aarp-benefits-discounts 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health