Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Medicare RX Preferred Plan - Why has my former account been sent to a collection agency?

Message 1 of 9

@g356327f wrote:

1.  I phoned UHC and they insisted that although all of my accounts had been cancelled as of 12-31-2018, there was a balance remaining for December with the Part D Prescription Drug plan.  I dispute that because I spoke with several UHC people in the course of cancelling all of my UHC policies (Medicare Parts B, F, and D) , and I distinctly recall having to pay the December billing in advance, along with a second charge that resulted from an increase in the monthly payment on one of the other policies.  Nevertheless, I paid the $76.50 bill via credit card this afternoon to settle this problem.  It was simply easier to pay it than to put up with the AARP/UHC collection agency. 

2.  Now, should I continue to be billed for any AARP/UHC policy, or if I receive a hit on my credit report, I willl be back in touch. 

3.  Sidebar: As to cancellation of the Medicare Part B, I actually had to sit in the Social Security office half a day to sign the disenrollment form because the form did not arrive in the mail following my request for it from Social Security.  While I don't recommend cancelling your Part B, in my situation I was provided full coverage by my empoyer as a benefit, and it did not make sense for me to continue to pay for all of the Medicare supplemental policies I had taken on when I turned 65.  Medicare Part B provides important medical coverage that you don't receive with Medicare Part A, so my advice is to keep it unless you have other coverage. If you must cancel Medicare Part B, don't wait for the disenrollment form to arrive in the mail.  Go directly to the Social Security office (make an appointment, if possible), so that you will KNOW that Social Security has received your signature on the form.   

1.  Glad it worked out to your (kinda) satisfaction - you could have continued to dispute it and then disputed your credit report if they reported it that way.  

2.  I hope you got clearance from UHC that they will clear the matter with the collection agency.  If this collection agency wasn't working with them as an IN-House agency, then that might mean that they bought the debt from UHC and they may still contact you again.  Once it gets that far, it becomes confusing as to whom you should actually pay and many times they are not forthcoming on that matter.

3.  As I said, cancelling Part B is again out of the norm and as you say, is a very important issue, and they want to make sure people know what they are doing.  I assume you filled CMS 1763 and yes, many times it does require that you have a face-to-face interview at the SS office.

CMS 1763 REQUEST FOR TERMINATION OF PREMIUM HOSPITAL AND/OR SUPPLEMENTARY MEDICAL INSURANCE

SSA - FAQ - How do I terminate my Medicare Part B (medical insurance)?

Hope your employer retiree coverage is everything you hope for and at a reasonable price for the longterm.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Medicare RX Preferred Plan - Why has my former account been sent to a collection agency?

Message 2 of 9

I phoned UHC and they insisted that although all of my accounts had been cancelled as of 12-31-2018, there was a balance remaining for December with the Part D Prescription Drug plan.  I dispute that because I spoke with several UHC people in the course of cancelling all of my UHC policies (Medicare Parts B, F, and D) , and I distinctly recall having to pay the December billing in advance, along with a second charge that resulted from an increase in the monthly payment on one of the other policies.  Nevertheless, I paid the $76.50 bill via credit card this afternoon to settle this problem.  It was simply easier to pay it than to put up with the AARP/UHC collection agency.  Now, should I continue to be billed for any AARP/UHC policy, or if I receive a hit on my credit report, I willl be back in touch.  Sidebar: As to cancellation of the Medicare Part B, I actually had to sit in the Social Security office half a day to sign the disenrollment form because the form did not arrive in the mail following my request for it from Social Security.  While I don't recommend cancelling your Part B, in my situation I was provided full coverage by my empoyer as a benefit, and it did not make sense for me to continue to pay for all of the Medicare supplemental policies I had taken on when I turned 65.  Medicare Part B provides important medical coverage that you don't receive with Medicare Part A, so my advice is to keep it unless you have other coverage. If you must cancel Medicare Part B, don't wait for the disenrollment form to arrive in the mail.  Go directly to the Social Security office (make an appointment, if possible), so that you will KNOW that Social Security has received your signature on the form.   

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

Hi Gerald, please send an email to memberrelations@aarp.org -- including the best phone number to contact you -- so a member of the team can reach out to help you sort out this issue with UHC. 

AARP Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@g356327f wrote:
I phone and spoke with someone at Medicare, and they told me I had to contact United Health Care (UHC) directly. I spoke with folks at UHC several times to be CERTAIN that there would be no problem and they assured me that all coverage would be CANCELLED effective 12-31-2018.

Then I guess you have to do it all over again - cause it sounds like somewhere in the process, it got messed up - unless there is another month before cancellation that didn't get paid and that is what they want.

Personally, I ALWAYS have some sort of written tracks / correspondence on important matters especially when it involves MY money. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9
I phone and spoke with someone at Medicare, and they told me I had to contact United Health Care (UHC) directly. I spoke with folks at UHC several times to be CERTAIN that there would be no problem and they assured me that all coverage would be CANCELLED effective 12-31-2018.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

@g356327f wrote:
I notified them early November and was told they'd cancel it effective 12-31-2018. My new coverage began 01/01/2019.

Then it seems you met the deadline now did you notify them in the method outlined by Medicare:

To disenroll from a Medicare drug plan during Open Enrollment, you can do one of these:

1. Call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)Call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
  2. Mail or fax a signed written notice to the plan telling them you want to disenroll.
  3. Submit a request to the plan online, if they offer this option.
  4. Call the plan and ask them to send you a disenrollment notice. You’ll have to complete, sign and send the notice back to the plan.

If so, you have written type proof that you cancelled at the proper time and in the proper method.  Then all you have to do is notify the Part D Insurer and perhaps the collection agency with a copy of your completed, signed disenrollment notice. 

This seem like a pretty rapid turnaround time for a debt to go to a collection agency but it maybe the way they do it if not deducted from your SS check.  Getting it back via the SS route would take months.

If it is as you say, it seems like just a clerical type error - a hassle of life but it does happen and you just have to take time to straighten it out.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9
I notified them early November and was told they'd cancel it effective 12-31-2018. My new coverage began 01/01/2019.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Because it is outside the norm and our Government wants to make sure you know what you are doing (big Brother, ya know) - there is a process just like in other things we do.

You said you cancelled via contact and you formally cancelled BUT DID YOU DO IT VIA THE PROPER METHOD AND DURING THE PROPER TIME  - the way it counts?

Since this involves your Part D coverage, I am only replying to cancelling that Part of Medicare coverage.  Here is the link to the process and deadline dates.

Medicare.gov - How to drop your Medicare drug plan

from the link ~

You can drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D) during the Open Enrollment Period. You don't have to join a new plan.

The Open Enrollment Period is between October 15–December 7 each year.  The change goes into effect January 1 of the following year.

To disenroll from a Medicare drug plan during Open Enrollment, you can do one of these:

1. Call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)Call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
  2. Mail or fax a signed written notice to the plan telling them you want to disenroll.
  3. Submit a request to the plan online, if they offer this option.
  4. Call the plan and ask them to send you a disenrollment notice. You’ll have to complete, sign and send the notice back to the plan.

How can I find contact information for my plan?

Generally, you can find your plan's contact information on your plan membership card. Or, you can get your plan's contact information from a Personalized Search (under General Search), or search by plan name.

Can I drop my Medicare drug plan outside the Open Enrollment Period?

You CAN'T drop your Medicare drug plan outside the Open Enrollment Period unless you meet certain special circumstances.

I just skimmed the "special circumstances" and did not see any that might apply but you can review them too.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP Medicare RX Preferred Plan - Why has my former account been sent to a collection agency?

Message 9 of 9

I formally ended, via contact with AARP, UHC, and Social Security, all of my Medicare policies (except for Part A) as of 12-31-2018, as my employer granted me fully paid coverage with a platinum Health Care Plan.  Today I received a letter from a collection agency RE: Part D, Prescription benefit policy through AARP.  They want me to pay $76.50 that I don't owe.  I'd like to know why and how any info regarding a former account was released to "The Receivable Management Services LLC" collection agency, when I do NOT owe a dime to UHC or to AARP for coverage that I had formally CANCELLED effective 12-31-2018.  I have no intention of paying anyone a dime regarding any of the cancelled policies, as I did exactly what I was expected to do so that the policies would be cancelled.  I am more than a little upset at this development, as this is the second hassle I've had regarding cancellation of policies originally obtained through AARP.  AARP, if you are willing to explain this to me, you can reach me at my Email address or cell phone.  I am an AARP member so you have that information. 

Respectfully, 

Gerald Fletcher, Hanover, MD.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet