From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: non-random game of 10X10

Message 1 of 2

I started playing "arcade" games about 1977 with Space Invaders. I admire your "research". There always was a "tradition" that each new level of any game became harder than the last level played. The "Ls" are one of the hardest pieces to place. This is the easiest way to make the game get harder the longer you play. For this reason I don't expect 10 x 10 to be random as to which pieces pop up. I try hard to keep deleting lines as I go and try to keep spaces open for those large squares and those straight 5ers. I like that this is one of the few games where the clock doesn't matter -- at least I don't think it does. :-) The idea that the programmers take childish offense to criticism is disturbing and I hope the forum leaders &/or AARP make sure that doesn't happen because beginners would get discouraged if games are too hard and might give up what is good brain / hand work.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

non-random game of 10X10

Message 2 of 2

I humbly apologize to all the other players of 10X10, as I have apparently make a bad situation worse.  It seemed that there were too many of the large L-shaped pieces in the game, so, being the methodical person that I am, I started keeping track of the number of pieces of each particular kind which were 'sent' in a game.  After counting in 5 or 6 games, it became obvious that there were ALWAYS more of those large Ls than any other piece in every game.  I made an Excel spreadsheet of the results and emailed them.  (I am a retired software engineer and I know about pseudorandom number generators and how they are supposed to work.  But the programmer can always over-ride the random number generator, and it appears that is what is happening in this game.)  

My last email from Arkadium (who make the games)  was the case was being closed and was I happy with the results.  I doubted they would have fixed it that soon, but I tried the game anyway.  It was worse, way more big Ls than before.

So it looks like my complaint has been punished, and, unfortunately all of you who play this game have been punished too.

I'm sorry.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies