Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Word Wipe Strategy

Message 11 of 43

I know a lot of obscure words from doing crosswords, but sometimes I pause Word Wipe to look up things up, which helps me remember them. Here's a brief list, some with derivations (I expect to keep adding):

fay: fairy; join tightly

foy (Scot.): farewell gift or entertainment

mim: prim, demure

holt (Old Eng.): copse; variant of hold

moa (N.Z.): 9 extinct species of flightless birds

ain (Arabic): precious

sook: female crab; crybaby (NOT past tense of "seek")

lept: fine; slender (NOT past tense of "leap")

ulu: utility knife used by Inuit women (NOT, apparently, men)

ich: fish disease, usually occuring in aquauriums (I thought it was "ick")

khi: variant of chi

fer: opposite of "agin"? (just guessing)

oca: South American wood sorrel (knew from xwords)

mun (Old Eng.): must; man

fey: pretentious (also xword-ese)

oes: ??? I could only find acronyms. My favorite is "Optically Excited Systems"

With all these strange and often foreign words (including "eau"!) why not "oui" or "moi"? I "objet."

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 43

I'm convinced the key is to consistently clear the board and double your score.   When I fail to do it, it's almost always because I'm stuck with all consonants.  You can usually dispose of vowels at the end with words such as "eau", "tau", "hie", "fie", "roe", "ahi" (don't ask me to define them; i just know they work!)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 43

Before hitting "Begin" on the Level 1 screen, I look for common prefixes (sub, pro, re) and suffixes (tion, ing).  So, instead of the word "start", it may expand to "restarting" (460 points).  My highest single word score is 522 for "submitted".  "Production" was worth 480.  

I could never find these long words if the clock was running.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 43

I've never scored that high. I do look for Q's and X's sometimes, before starting. Of course they may be hiding! I try to line up a few quick words before diving in, in higher rounds. Anyhow I'm going to try your suggestion - but those leaderboard scores are ridiculous. I occasionally get as far as Round 17, maybe hit 18 a couple times, but I'm out of bombs by then. Which reminds me, there's a "try this" button now, supposed to get you 2 additional bonus bombs if you watch a video? I've clicked on a that a couple times but it just leaves the page and I get nothing. And have to start the game over. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 43

If I can't find at least two 7-letter words on the "Level 1 Begin" screen, I don't start the game.  I get a new screen and keep looking.  If I don't score at least 2500 on Level 1, I quit and start over.  After Level 1, you have to keep going.  If I don't have at least 4500 after Level 2, I quit again.

My best score is 32320 but that was three months ago!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 43

Here's a tip that may help.  I don't start a game until i've studied the screen that says Level 1 but is grayed out, so it's a little hard to read and the Level 1 label covers many of the letters.  I find at least two 7-letter words BEFORE hitting Start.  So, is it cheating?  Maybe.  My high score is 32320.

Give it a try.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 43

me either & my score is really bad

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 43

I get in trouble when there's a Q  - I become preoccupied with trying to line it up with a U, and then hopefully an A or IT. The letter X also gets me trouble at times... I've despaired of ever making the leaderboard and just try to play as long as I can. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 43

Understanding how it's scores will help.  The letter 'B' is worth 7 points.  G = 5 points.   'CMPTU' are each worth 4 points, and 'DRSHI' are each worth 2 points.  All other letters are worth 1 point.  Add up the letters in the word, times 2 times the number of letters in the word (unless all letters in the 'word' are the same, in which case just add up the letters times 2).

As you can see, the  rarely used letters are only worth 1 point (contrary to Scrabble), but it's still good to try to use them if you have a chance, so you don't end up with letters that don't go together.   I usually try to get any 'B' and 'G' words first.  Then, I try to use the bombs early on - if I can use just one bomb to clear the board.   I don't think it's worth it to use several bombs just to clear the board.

Knowing the value of the letters will help you decide whether you should choose 'BAG' or 'BUG', for instance.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 43

I've been "cheating" using the pause button. If you're strategic in how you attack the board there will be enough visible below and to the right of the pause screen to bail you out at the end. So I often now make it to 16, but my score still isn't close to the leaders - and time is so short that it seems you'd almost have to plan every move while on pause... There are people who claim to solve the NYT crossword faster than I can type - not saying they're lying, but I prefer not to compare my skills with theirs. Same thing here, but I still want to get to 16, or beyond! Maybe longevity isn't the answer, though, and the trick is to use a bonus bomb to clear the screen and double your points whenever possible? I should try that...

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors