Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Word Wipe Strategy

Message 11 of 24

I finally bothered to look at the timer. Sheesh. You get 2 minutes through 12 rounds, then 90 seconds for round 13, 80 for 14... I need to calm myself with a crossword puzzle. The NYT has a timer but I ignore it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 24

Round 15 is the highest I've gotten also.  My high game is 29,0400.  Ive been trying for a few months now to beet that score.  I would like to hit upon 30,000.  As far as long words I have found that I can make 3 or 4 short words in the time I might find a long word.  So I sort of think I'm better off with that strategy but I could be wrong.  I'd really like to hear from people that are scoring 50,000 or 60,000 points and find out how they do it.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 24

It looks like you've already had 10 replies - why can't I see them? I read on another site that you should use bonus bombs to clear the board and double your score in early rounds. Apparently the bombs are easier to earn in early rounds - but hold a couple back for later. I find that at round 13 and beyond the time seems to run out more quickly, have been trying to find out about that... I've never gotten past 15. I save my bombs for the late rounds, because I'm really just competing against myself to see how far I can get. When I have odd letters at the end of a round I try to connect them every which way, have come up with some pretty strange combinations that end up being words!

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 24

The best strategy is to use a lot of long words.  I don't know if uncommon words get you more points, but they ought to.  That way, when you get to the end of the board and use up all the letters (or use the bomb to get rid of them) you double an even higher score.  The most points I've had so far BEFORE the double is about 1900.  I find that getting about 25,000 is pretty easy for me, but going much over 30,000 is more difficult.  My biggest problem is using the mouse.  I have a problem with tremors in my hands, and every once in a while I get a big one and the mouse jumps all over the screen.  I can still type all right, though, so it would be nice if I could type in the words instead of mousing them.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 24

In anwer to the complaint about having trouble clicking on the right game.....I just book marked my two favorite games so I can go directly to them, if that suggestion helps.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 24

Did you ever get a reply to your word wipe question?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 24

I had it cut off in the middle of a game—it just froze, no way to reactivate it that I could see. It was annoying, because for once I was doing well :-). The thing that truly irritates me about the "new games" (or new format) is the screen jumping constantly. If I click on Word Wipes on the "all" games menu, I get Mathdoku, three or four games above Word Wipes. Sometimes it takes two or three tries to get the right game. Also, the Mahjongg games begin to load, then stop, then start again, then go to a white screen, then have to be reloaded all over again. I do not have problems like this (the jumping screen for example) on any other website, so I have to assume it's something that happened with the changeover on the AARP site.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 24

It is slow to load but don't think I have ever had it cut off in the middle of a game.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 24

I only figured out the bomb after I had been playing for about a month.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 24

I find it slow to load, but it never quit mid-game on me.  That's just horrible.

Kudos
Views