Community Manager
Community Manager

What games do you play to keep your mind active? Behind the Leaderboard™ Discussion 3

Over the past several weeks, you've met a few of your fellow gamers through our articles and forum discussions. We know gaming can be great for mental acuity as you age. Delphine R. (@Delreed351), Dinata M. (@Dinata), and Regan C. (@bayartist) from our Behind the Leaderboard profiles told us that's a big part of why they play. What games do you play to keep your mind active?

0 Kudos

I found a new app that is called draw classic... Online pictionary.. anything with word svrambles.. 

0 Kudos

I've downloaded the free app Mind Pal. It's a fantastic app. It first asks you where you need help, then it creates a group of games daily to exercise your brain. You  can set a notification to remind you to play your daily session of stimulating brain games. I love it. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I like Sudoku, sometimes solitaire, words within words this is usually free on the dictionary app.

I play hidden object games, solitare, and majong. 

I like to play Solitaire,  all kinds.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play a variety of online games, but my go-tos are Cribbage, Solitaire, daily crosswords, and Classic Words, which is a type of Scrabble. I only subscribe to games that are free, and I like the ability to choose from easy to hard in difficulty. I usually choose "hard", because I want the brain challenge. It makes it even sweeter when I occasionally beat the computer! 

Cribbage,Solitare, Scrabble on an app with friends, Sudoku 

0 Kudos

I play Mahjjong and the other newer Mahjjong Remix but I get frustrated as the ad at the top is in the way of the game frame. Sometimes the Manatee ad goes away and other times I cannot get rid of it. Very annoying.

Contributor

I agree the ads can be a real pain,but I can't afford the price of ad removal. Don't know if you use Foxfire.Mahjjong is the bomb I do agree.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have played "Bloons Tower Defense 5"  (BTD 5)  for the last 10 years. My 8 year old Grandson showed me how and I COULDN'T QUIT !!!

I think (?) there may be cost for some of they're games, but I don't know for sure.

Basically it's a game that you play to make "monkey's" beat the bad guy's , which are baloon's of various nature.  You wind up with every thing from a simple ballon to Battleships, Spiked Balls, Cannons, Airplanes, Submarines, etc. etc.

Don't know how it would work, but I'd be glad to help anyone get started (they won't be sorry IF they have a hanker'n for this sort of thing.

Dan Rickerd

DANR1939
0 Kudos

I notice nobody has mentioned AARP's on-line Bridge game.  Since I cannot play with my grouips of friends, I try to play a couple games of this daily.

Crossword puzzles, of course, Free Cell and Spider Solitaire, Mahjongg.

And read a lot!

Contributor

Solitaire pool

0 Kudos
Contributor

Daily Smithsonian crossword

daily paper - word jumble, crossword

0 Kudos
Contributor

My favorite is the good crossword puzzle and the daily word jumbles.  I do them daily. 

My wife plays Outspell (because it is like scrabble) and Wordwipe daily and occassionally a game solitaire.   She is venturing into Soduku.  

We have always enjoyed board and card games from all of our years of camping. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well, I do play some of the AARP games, but I mostly play one called BTD5 (BLOONS TOWER DEFENSE 5). I doubt AARP has any way to put it, or anything similar on your list, but if there is anything even close to BTD5 I'd sure use it !! Due to some issues over the years with the way I Logged in at some point because I'm not real smart ;0(  when it comes to computers, I wind up spending a LOT of time being ABLE to play. I spent about 5 hours playing it today !!!! I'm a Cold War and early Viet Nam  Navy Veteran, and like shooting the bad guys ;0)  It has ways to play with no cost, and other ways that require cash, I don't play that !!!

Dan Rickerd

DANR1939
0 Kudos
Contributor

I like to play Mahjongg.  I have played solitaire, Aces and Kings, Words with Friends and Dice with Buddies.

Contributor

WordWipe   and any of the Solitaires or Mahjongs.

Conversationalist

I'm a gamer, will always be one. It's so much fun!

I love Poker because you play with people all over the world! I love to play late at night listening to the Doors. It relaxes me.

I also like to play Lumosity Games- it's Brain games. It makes the brain to fire off its wires and literally Yu feel like that. I play the free version. It shows how Yu are progressing or not. Sometimes, my brain can't comprehend and I'll call it a nite. It's also asking how many hours do Yu sleep at night too, which makes a difference, even if Yu don't think so.

The games that drive me crazy are Lost Jewels, a challenging one, 
Pet rescue, Candy crush saga and Monster Busters, all on Facebook. You can be on a roll and all of a sudden to come to a complete stop, hang on by your fingertips, and wonder - How in the heck Will I beat this game? My grandson always tells me- check out youtube! But still I'm stuck in ths swamp! Ha,ha,ha

Never give up is my motto!

Trusted Contributor

One of our Behind the Leaderboard series gamers, Barbara M., usually plays Pyramid Solitaire first thing in the morning, until she reaches a score of 1800. Do you set goals for yourself when you play?

You can read Barbara M.'s story here.

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/games/behind-the-leaderboard/info-2019/barbara.html

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My sister and I have a running game of 500 rummy, which we started two years ago. We also play Loaded Questions, it's really fun!

Regular Contributor

Outspell ,Word find, Pyramid Solitaire, Golf Solitaire, Some brain teasers games & couple of other games
Periodic Contributor

Don't know how it would be with everyone else, but I REALLY like Match 3 Games. If you havn't tried them and care to do so, just google something like "fun free match3 games" and you will certainly find some if interested. There are hundreds of them on the internet. I also enjoy BTD games.  BTD means "Bloons Tower Defense" and there are all kinds. I'm having some issues right now due to some "Log In" issues, but I watched my Grandson  play BTD5, 6 or 7 years ago and have been playing every since at least. You have to think !!!!!!

Regards, Dan

DANR1939
Trusted Contributor

@DanRLtIa I LOVE Match-3 games. I can play them for hours. Have you tried Sweet Shuffle on AARP? I just played and got a score of 15,310. It's a really fun game. 

https://games.aarp.org/games/sweet-shuffle

Also, I love that you and your grandson play the same games. I'll have to give BTD a try! Thanks so much for sharing! 

@DanRLtIa wrote:

Don't know how it would be with everyone else, but I REALLY like Match 3 Games. If you havn't tried them and care to do so, just google something like "fun free match3 games" and you will certainly find some if interested. There are hundreds of them on the internet. I also enjoy BTD games.  BTD means "Bloons Tower Defense" and there are all kinds. I'm having some issues right now due to some "Log In" issues, but I watched my Grandson  play BTD5, 6 or 7 years ago and have been playing every since at least. You have to think !!!!!!

Regards, Dan

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play Wordament and word and hidden clues games to sharpen recall skills,and maintain grammar and English/Spanish skills. I also play Yahtzee,Monopoly,etc. for maintaining decision-making skills.The best challenges come from playing with young people between 12-30 years of age!

Regular Contributor

Enthusiastic agreement about playing with younger people! It's a great way to connect with my nieces and nephews. I prefer playing 'IRL' games with other people as opposed to computer games. Levels out the playing field.

I also think that playing with other people helps with staying sharp. It involves more than just the game. You've got to mind your social set of skills as well as pay attention to the game. Given that multi-tasking is something I've noticed slipping with age, this helps...

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@CarmenmC98799 I love these suggestions! I'm going to go play a word game now. Have you tried Wander Words? https://games.aarp.org/games/wander-words

0 Kudos
Contributor

I like to play sploofus online, wheel of Fortune and jeopardy on TV.

Contributor

I LIKE CANFIELD SOLITARE
Trusted Contributor

Happy New Year! Has anyone tried the AARP Staying Sharp program?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png