Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

chj
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Games Not Affected

Message 141 of 918

Again, Fannie44, the information you're posting is directed at web developers, which is why most people don't know what that stuff is. Google "chrome [or ie] support for webgl". Most browsers automatically support webgl without you having to do anything.

My name isn't Ann and I don't work for AARP. There is plenty to be frustrated with AARP about in this transition they're making -- they couldn't have handled it much worse -- but there's a lot of misdirected anger here about things that AARP doesn't control. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Games Not Affected

Message 142 of 918

Here's what I get when I search in my browser (both IE and Chrome) for WebGL:

1. Add a canvas element to the page, and create a new WebGL rendering context.
  2. Initialize a viewport.
  3. Upload arrays of coordinate (vertices) and image data (fragments or textures) to the GPU.
  4. Compile and run vertex and fragment shaders (programs that run on the GPU) to manipulate the vertex and imaged loaded in the previous step.
  5. Draw to the screen.

Sorry, Ann.  Your response was lacking.  I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of AARP subscribers don't have a clue (just like me) as to what a canvas element, rendering context, viewport, arrays of coordinate (vertices), image data, the GPU itself, and all that other technoBs is. 

Kudos
Views
chj
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Upcoming Changes to AARP Games

Message 143 of 918

fannie44, the information you posted is aimed at developers, not users. You should not need to do anything to enable webgl in your browser, but you can always google your browser name and "support for webgl" or something like that, and see if you do need to make changes to your settings.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 144 of 918

Did you EVER get an answer besides "it's in your browser?"  To some of us, it's like "those cancer cells are in your brain somewhere, **bleep**."

Here's what I found in my browser:

1. Add a canvas element to the page, and create a new WebGL rendering context.
  2. Initialize a viewport.
  3. Upload arrays of coordinate (vertices) and image data (fragments or textures) to the GPU.
  4. Compile and run vertex and fragment shaders (programs that run on the GPU) to manipulate the vertex and imaged loaded in the previous step.
  5. Draw to the screen.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Yarnz Cat Game

Message 145 of 918

I, personally, won't be visiting AARP or playing any of their new games! I have tried several and they are for morons or children! Definetly not for adults! I loved the Yarnz game, as well, and will miss it! Today is the last day! Rest in peace Yarnz! jfetzik@sbcglobal.net

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 146 of 918

Webgl may be a better platform for it has awful games - they are so old school without the beautiful graphics of flash player. Don't understand why we are going back to the dark ages!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 147 of 918

Well, it looks like I won't be playing AARP games anymore. They don't seem to have resolved any of the problems with the very few new games they have come up with. I have played successfully many games from Big Fish - I think I'll go back to those games. Big Fish does charge for games but it is quite low and once you pay you can play it forever. They have good Jigsaw puzzles, mystery solving games, etc. Since I won't be playing AARP games anymore I won't be seeing any of the ads posted so there will be an effect on your income - think about that.

Kudos
Views
chj
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 148 of 918

AARP has nothing to do with Flash or how it performs. They didn't create the games and they didn't create Flash. The company that did create Flash is stopping support of it in 2020 and browsers have already begun limiting their support of it.

White I agree that AARP has handled this whole process abysmally, they have no control over how the games work. They could, however, have waited for this transition until whatever company created the new non-Flash games made sure they were working well enough to roll out, and worked on finding better replacements for some of the games being discontinued.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 149 of 918

DITTO to all of the above.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 150 of 918

While I understand the need to prepare and update, I also have and have had concern regarding the scoring on games. A smartphone user is using both thumbs, which is always much faster, while a tablet or computer user uses fingers, and possibly a thumb now and them. So how can this be a fair system of scoring.  How will AARP address that? Thx

Kudos
Views