If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: Upcoming Changes to AARP Games

Message 911 of 918

I have been using your games on a regular basis and the news is scary for me. I am disabled, in chronic pain and the games really help me to focus on something else, not to mention help keep me congnitively sharper. I have read actual articles that games like the ones you have at AARP do indeed help people suffering from chronic pain.  I don't know if my tablet will support the new games. I am also wondering which or the type of games that will be offered. Please make a listing of the new games. It will help with some of the uncertainty until the change is to take place. Thank you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 912 of 918

Can we get a list of what the new game is that is substituting for the old game?

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 913 of 918

Re discontinuing our beloved "flash games"  Not all of us seniors have the updated phones/etc nor can we afford them.. the flash AARP games were fun and a way to keep the brain functioning.. but I guess they are going by the way side too.. if only we could all afford the expensive toys.. but alas not here. Sorry to see them go...I'm sure my computer will not support the 'new & improved' games.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 914 of 918

A listing of the games to be affected would be helpful especially for those of us who don't really understand where/when/how flash  is used.

If we have big balances on "free" games we can then concentrate on using them before the Nov cutoff.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 915 of 918

Will they be okay to play on my Windows 10 desktop computer ? ? ? ?   Thanks  Vicki

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Games

Message 917 of 918

Hello @luckylady90, it sounds like you are describing the login experience and the Security Challenge that we added. Here's a little more information about that you may find helpful. Thanks.

AARP.org Login: Frequently Asked Questions & Answers:

Why do I have to type the moving letters?

This is a tool that enables this website to protect itself from abuse and attacks by robots. By typing the moving letters that appears in the video you are proving that you are human.

How do I solve the Captcha?

Moving across the screen you will see a message. Trailing that message are some random letters. You need to type those random letters. Don't worry about capitalization.

Can I just type the whole message?

Yes you can. If you prefer, simply type all the moving text.

How do I solve the Audio Captcha?

Check that your speakers are turned on and that your audio device is enabled;

Listen for the letters spoken in the audio sample and enter them in to the text box located in the Captcha Player; and

You can listen to the sample again by selecting the 'Listen Again' link.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Games

Message 918 of 918

why all of a sudden we have to use adobe flash?  Just put everything back like it was.  All you had to do was sign in and give your password.  Why make thing difficult. Now I can't play my games. Not renewing  aarp.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Upcoming Changes to AARP Games

Message 916 of 918

Updated (12/04/18): 

Thank you for your overwhelming response!  With the high volume of feedback we received, we aren't able to respond to all of your posts. Know that all posts have been reviewed and taken into consideration. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate AARP teams to improve your experience with the new games.

Addressing some of your concerns, please visit the following links:

This post is now closed to be read-only. 
Is there anything else you want to share with us about the new games? Tell us by joining a conversation or starting a new one in our Games Forum.

Original Post: Thank you for taking the time to read this important announcement. We would like to let you know about upcoming changes to AARP Games that are primarily being driven by a shift in the digital world, away from using Flash technology. Flash will be fully discontinued by its manufacturer, Adobe, by the end of 2020, and browsers have already started to phase out supporting it.

A number of AARP’s games are created using Flash, and many of you have contacted us or commented in our Community forum about the increasing difficulty you are experiencing using them. These games now need constant re-enabling on your browser in order to play. Moreover, these popular games aren’t available at all on your smart phones and tablets. Support for Flash is on the decline, and so the issue is only going to increase and your playing experience is apt to continue to deteriorate.

It’s time to make a change.

After careful consideration, we decided that now is the right time to prepare to discontinue all Flash games. The good news is that we will replace them with newer games, which use the faster, mobile-friendly technology called WebGL. (With the new technology, there will be no need on your end to buy or download anything new.) This will make all AARP games available to all players on any browser and device -- desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones and tablets. It also will provide a smoother and more secure playing environment without the need to download additional software like Flash. 

What will happen:

• October 29*, we will add over 30 new games, built in WebGL. (*New date: previously scheduled for October 25.)
  • From October 29 to November 26, we’re giving you an opportunity to continue playing Flash games, while getting acquainted with their replacements. We understand that this will be an adjustment, but many of the new games will be nearly identical or be very similar to the old Flash counterparts. Take a few weeks to try them on for size and maybe even find a few new favorites.
  • November 27, all Flash games will be removed, but the new WebGL games will remain.

Flash Games Scores & Leaderboards

Unfortunately, personal scores and leaderboard positions in Flash games cannot be carried over. Scores earned on the current WebGL games will not be affected.

As this transition is happening, we pledge to be as transparent and accommodating as we can. We are dedicated to providing you a fun and challenging games experience!

If you have questions, please post them on this forum. If you need additional assistance, please reach us at member@aarp.org or call customer service at 1-888-687-2277.

Thank you for being a valued member of our Games Community.  We hope you enjoy the new experience!

Flash Games Being Removed

New Games Being Added

Games That Will Not Be Affected

Kudos
Views
Replies