Contributor

SCRAMBLE WORD GAME

WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE DETAIL/DIRECTIONS REGARDING THE SCRAMBLE WORD GAME. I'M GENERALLY GOOD AT WORD GAMES BUT THIS ONE HAS ME STUMPED.

MAY NOT BE UNDERSTANDING CLEARLY THE METHOD UTILIZED TO REACH GOALS.

IT'S A GOOD GAME BUT SOMEWHAT FRUSTRATING. APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE.

THANK YOU

Linda G

Membership #**********. (removed by AARPLynne)

Trusted Contributor

anybody elses score not registering?????   I just got my  all time high score (nowhere NEAR 228,000)     but still a high score for me and it didnt register----I finally got close to 30,000    and it doesnt show......Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Contributor

yes me too!. . . my score (s) has not been reported for a couple of days. . . i figure I am playing against my self since i cannot imagine how 1 person could be doing the crazy high scores that have been reported.

I miss seeing my scores as at times I get to graduate into level 4 WAHOO!!!!!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Here is the scoring information for Scramble Word in detail:
-Game score = all points gained from making words
-Target word found without hint = 100 wordLength
-Target word found with hint = 50
wordLength
-Bonus word found = 100 * wordLength
-Round score = 2000 per round completed
-Time score = 100 per seconds left when game is over
-Final score if game is completed = gameScore + totalRoundScore + timeScore
-Final score if time over = gameScore + totalRoundScore - 2000

Periodic Contributor

AARPLynne's help message is correct, but not easily understood by a new player.  So, I will try to rewrite it here, with a fuller explanation:

Your total score is the sum of points you get for each letter in words that are accepted, plus 2,000 points for each round completed, plus 100 points for each second remaining in the game.  

Target words are the words on the screen that you need to fill in.  You need to fill in all of the target words to complete the round.  Bonus words are additional words beyond those on the screen.  You get 100 points for each letter in a bonus word.  You get either 50 or 100 points for each letter in a target word that you fill in.  As the game proceeds, it will fill in hints, i.e., letters, in the target words.  If you complete a target word that does not include any hints, you get 100 points for each letter.  If a hint has been provided in a target word, the letters are then worth 50 points each.  

To score well, you must be able to type quickly.  You also need to be able to recognize combinations of words that can be achieved from groups of letters.  For example, the letters a, e, r, and s yield are, ear, ears, era and eras.  There are a possible 1,500 points available in those words, assuming you can type them before any of them include hints.  

As I play, I try to score at least 100 points for each second used in a round.  That is a kind of running measure of my success.  There are 280 seconds in each game.  So, achieving 100 points for each second would yield 28,000 points.  If you complete all four rounds, you get an additional 8,000 points, 2,000 for each round.  That gets you to 36,000.  One additional way to get points is to finish with time left.  You get 100 points for each second left.  If you finished with 40 seconds left, that would provide an additional 4,000 points, for a total of 40,000 points.  To exceed 40,000, you must either get even more words/letters, or finish with more than 40 seconds left.  

For me, 40,000 is a really good score.  The best I have ever done is 44,000.  To achieve that kind of score, one must be typing continuously, and not pausing to think.  

The game does not accept words that it deems to be lewd or vulgar, and it goes overboard on that.  For example, it does not accept the word "sex", which certainly has acceptable meanings, e.g., gender.  

In your favor is that fact that there are a limited number of rounds, and they repeat.  After a while, you will recognize the letters provided and can type the words more quickly.  

When you have completed all of the target words, the clock stops ticking down, but it takes a couple of seconds for the game to complete the round and report your score.  In those couple of seconds, you can enter one or two bonus words to increase your score.  

If you fail to complete all four rounds in the available time, 2,000 points is deducted from your total score.  If you don't complete the game, you may not get to 20,000, and getting to 30,000 is quite difficult.  Occasionally, a target word will come up that I just cannot handle, or am slow to think of.  

I don't know how people are able to achieve scores in the 50,000's, and even higher.  To appreciate the difficulty, if one could finish the game with 100 seconds left, one would need to have typed fast enough to score an average of 178 points for each second, in order to get to 50,000 points.  Perhaps some of the high achievers can comment on their strategy.   

When I play, my strategy is to start typing as many words as I can, using the available letters.  When I begin to run out of words, I then look at the target words, and complete any not already finished.  By that point, multiple hints are available, making it easier to finish the target words.  That may not be an optimum strategy.  For example, if I started by typing the target words first, or at least the longer target words, I would score more points per letter, if I typed them before getting hints.  On the other hand, one needs to type the bonus words before the target words are completed, so focusing on target words first may not be best.   There are rounds in which I have additional bonus words when the target words complete.   

I hope this message is helpful.  It took me some time to figure this game out, and even now I realize that I must be missing something.  

Periodic Contributor

Hi,

Just wanted to thank you for this great information.  The way the target words work and how you get 50 vs 100 points per letter depending on if you get a hint for that word was new to me and really helped stabilize my game score.  It's still not up to 50K, my personal goal, but I'm close at 49K, and now scoring in the mid 40K range consistently.  A frustrating yet challenging game.  Thanks again for the great analysis.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Referring to "conversationalist" game tips below.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In rereading my rather lengthy explanation (sorry about that!), I realized that my explanation of how to achieve 40,000 is not quite correct.  If one completed the game with 40 seconds left, one would have needed to score, on average, even more than 100 points per second in the 200 seconds used.  In that case, to score 28,000 points for letters, one would need to score an average of 140 points per second.  

Why can't we be told what target word we have not found?

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

This is helpful, but please clarify "wordLength".  I assume that means the number of letters in the word, but how does that affect the score?

Thanks.  

Periodic Contributor

Also, what is a bonus letter.  How do we know what the bonus letters are?  Since we can only use the letters provided/shown, are they the bonus letters?  Confusing!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

AHHHHH    finally the answer we've been waiting for.  Thank you AARPLynne!Smiley Very Happy

Contributor

NOTHING TO BE SEEN HERE. MY LAST MESSAGE WAS IN MAY. SCRABBLE WORD GAME IS A NUISANCE. FAVOR WORD GAMES, TEND TO BE FAIRLY GOOD AT THEM.  IMO...UNLESS ADJUSTMENTS ARE MADE IT WON'T BE SUCCESSFUL.  

FYI...TRIED IT AGAIN TODAY. THIRD LEVEL KICKED ME OUT 40 SECONDS LATER, HARDLY ENOUGH TIME. 

Contributor

I would also like more information on the scoring. Is it better to have more non-targeted words or is it better to finish the game faster to get the bonus points at the end? I know it would be great to be able to do both but is one a better strategy over the other?

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I would also like to know if the strategies are different for different rounds.
Trusted Contributor

Yes   I would like to know how scorig takes place too   and going to the "help" button doesn not answer the question.

SO,, aarpLynne,  does it make any difference if you put in more words that arent on the board?  or is the point of the game to just fill in the words on the board??   and how many points for each word?

Contributor

Yes, it would be nice to know how all points are actually earned.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ambria, thanks for your question! Scramble Words is one of our new favorites! The game has a handy built-in Menu (top left of the game screen). From there you'll find "Help" where there is a page of instructions. Enjoy!

Game MenuGame MenuGame HelpGame Help

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I must be STUPID. I read English, have read the HELP and yet there is NOTHING in the instructions that gives any indication of how this game is played.  There needs to be better instruction.  Can anyone help?  And no, showing me how to find the HELP screen is not the answer I am looking for!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Your message gives no information as to what befuddles you.  Perhaps it is merely how to start playing.  Or, perhaps it is what is the object of the game.  Or, how to play.  I'll take a stab at helpng you.  If this is not what you want, please be a little more clear about that.  

Once you click on Play, the game starts with a screen with some letters and some blank words.  The blank words are called Target words.  Type combinations of the letters to form words.  When you have a word, click Enter.  If you typed a Target word, it fills in.  If you type a valid word that is not a Target  word, it is a Bonus word.  You get points for each letter in words that are accepted. 

This should get you started. Read the two messages right below yours to get information about how your score is calculated, and tips on playing.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sorry, LynneAARP, but the "HELP" is no help.  Further explanation of the rules of scoring would be more helpful.

0 Kudos
Contributor

AARPLynne,
That is the same non-answer that you have pasted over and over again. Please answer the question.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @MariS877096 I'm sorry you haven't found the answer you're looking for. Is there a question we can help you with?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

what??   I am beginning to wonder if AARPLynne is computer generated----her  non-answer sounds like robo calls I have gotten and the "answers/questions" go round and round.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Please stop referring players to the HELP screen.  If this many people are asking for game clarification, the description on HELP screen is clearly lacking.  How does one maximize points— via more bonus words only, finishing game with time left on the clock, etc??  It seems odd that no one is able to definitively provide answers.  What does it take to go over 40,000 points(?), which I’ve only done twice....and I’m usually very good at word games.  This one is frustrating because the rules are so vague.  May need to look elsewhere for a better alternative. Thanks.

Periodic Contributor

I too am having trouble getting much over 40K despite fast typing and high level word formation skills.  Since our total score is the sum of:

1) round score x 4  (always 8000)

2) sum of all four rounds bonus letters revealed scores (varies by how many bonus words we type in); and

3) time bonus for round 4 (varies by how fast we complete Round 3 and Round 4);

The only way I can think of that people are getting more than 40K is by:

1) being geniuses AND incredibly fast typists (surely there aren't THAT many of those!)

2) entering the letters for each round into a word generator program and just typing them in like a madman or madwoman (so they don't have to think, just type); and/or

3) voice recognition software where the whole family is sitting around the computer shouting words at the screen as they think of them (a little family togetherness time is always good). 

What do you think?

Cheers, and happy UNscrambling,

arkaren

Contributor

I know what you're saying.At the present time,there is a player with a score of 228,692 points.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

228,692 Scramble Words high score today....WTF?? Seriously?
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png