Contributor

Outspell scoring

I know I am no genius when it comes to word games, but I do not believe that there is any way in the world that someone can score over 20,000 points in out spell. I win nearly 90% of the games I play on the hard mode, and the most points I have ever scored is a little over 700.

Periodic Contributor

It's annoying - I'd kind of like to be able to compare my scores to REAL scores, and when several of these phony scores get on the leaderboard, people who would otherwise get on can't. 

I know it's just an online game, but part of the fun is comparing scores. The phony high scores are a result of someone hacking or fooling the scoring - no one is getting scores like that. 

Just imagine how pathetic someone's life must be that they get some kind of fun out of posting obviously bogus scores.

But the moderators either can't or won't do anything about it.

Periodic Contributor

Sierraseven, I noticed you were on the scoreboard this morning with a score of 786--congratulations!

What you say in your post about COMPARING scores prompted me to consider that it would be nice if OUTSPELL provided a RANK/RANKING button which users might click on to discover where they ranked among the hundreds/thousands who regularly play the game.  With only 10 slots open on the scoreboard for the TODAY/THIS WEEK/THIS MONTH categories, I agree makes it impossible to see where one actually ranks.

Periodic Contributor

I have reported more than once the cheating scores and they take them off!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I recently came across your posting and thought you might find this helpful.

“Here's a way to possibly improve OUTSPELL scores: First, make a list of 13-letter words that satisfy a certain rule. You might begin with a list which contains words like these five: AMBIDEXTERITY, DEMAGNETIZERS, AGROFORESTERS, DECLASSIFYING, and DECARBONIZERS. The rule to employ when building your list is to pick 13-letter words which can be started with a 3-letter word which then can be added to, both front and back, to gradually build up the entire 13-letter word. As an example, these five can be started with, respectively, DEX, NET, FOR, ASS, and BON.

And with these five an entire 13-letter word can be constructed: DEX, DEXTER, DEXTERITY, AMBIDEXTERITY; NET, MAGNET, MAGNETIZE, MAGNETIZER, MAGNETIZERS, DEMAGNETIZERS; FOR, FOREST, FORESTER, FORESTERS, AGROFORESTERS; ASS, LASS, CLASS, CLASSIFY, CLASSIFYING, DECLASSIFYING; BON, CARBON, CARBONIZE, CARBONIZER, CARBONIZERS, DECARBONIZERS. Get the idea? By the way, build the word horizontally, using high scoring tiles (like Q, X, or Z) in positions 4 and/or 10 where applicable.

Creating a LONG list of candidate 13-letter words makes it easier to obtain a starting point since your initial rack of letters is obtained randomly. Reloading the game will provide you with a new randomized rack of letters if you’d like to improve your chance of getting off to a good start.

Once you successfully construct an entire 13-letter word, you’ll be able to improve your scores, likely obtaining scores well over 1000. Of course, LUCK is still a factor, but your odds are better; also, EXCHANGING some or all letters often improves your odds as well.

Although stating the obvious, holding BLANK tiles for later use in making Q, X, or Z out of them is key to success as well.”

Just this past week a user who employs this method and makes the OUTSPELL scoreboard frequently passed the above information on to me and I’m eager to attempt it myself to see if I, too, with a little LUCK, can make the scoreboard.

Contributor

2020-09-21_12-01.png

Contributor

Good job with DECARBONIZER!  Too bad you didn't get the letter S--better luck next time!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, it was too bad I didn't get the letter S to complete the 13-letter word, DECARBONIZERS . . .

Had I gotten that S, another 684 points would have been added to my score, for a final score of 1,617 instead of the 933.

LUCK just wasn't in the cards this time . . .  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I strongly suggest that other users in the community look at the 13-letter word, DEMAGNETIZERS, as a first attempt in improving their scores. Why? Well, for one thing, the letters DE A NETI ERS aren’t that hard to obtain, as they are more plentiful. Only the M (2 of those), the G (3 of those), and the Z (only one, but a BLANK can easily substitute) are more difficult to obtain.

Today I tried again at a 13-letter word. Lady luck was on my side as right out of the gate I obtained the 3-letter word NET to start the game. After a few more rounds and several mostly full exchanges, I got the MAG. With more exchanges, I got a BLANK and an I and an E. Making the BLANK a Z, gave me MAGNETIZE. Shortly afterwards I got the DE and had DEMAGNETIZE. An R came fairly quickly after that, but I never did get the S I needed for the 13th letter. Still I managed a respectable 873 which put me on TODAY’s scoreboard (of course, how long it lasts there remains to be seen). Had I gotten the S, my final score would have likely been in the 1400-1500 range.

One final thought: If you do attempt the 13-letter word DEMAGNETIZERS, then once MAGNETIZE is played, add the DE prefix NEXT instead of the very LAST as I outlined in my first posting here. Only then add the R and later the S (but NEVER the R and S in the same move). Doing it this way will add approximately 150 more points to your score. Remember, the sequence of your moves is everything . . .

GOOD LUCK with your scores; I wish you the best!

Contributor

Excellent suggestion!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

SUCCESS!  Today I got on the scoreboard with a score of 1516!  This method definitely WORKS, although it does take PLANNING and some LUCK!

I ended my 13-letters word with IZE, then IZER, and finally IZERS.

Many thanks to the user who was kind enough to pass on this information!

Contributor

Using the DE prefix in constructing 13-letter words appears the easiest to accomplish; in addition, DECARBONIZERS and DEMAGNETIZERS have the Z on a 3X letter square if build horizontally across the center.

Contributor

It seems that scores over 2,000 are computer generated bots. One day there was a score of over 100,000!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Community user sneekycheeky posted back on April 22nd how some very high scores get created by a bug in the system.  He stated the following:  "dont always believe those posted high scores. i was playing jewel shuffle and scored 54k then asked for outspell and the 54k score posted to outspell and is now my high score. i always challenge myself to reach my high score. i'm sort of disappointed that i will never post a higher score on outspell unless its a mistake."

Regarding your comment about scores over 2,000:  Building an 13-letter word, with accompanying longer words (spanning 7-letters or more and optimizing bonus squares) should enable you--with a little luck--to break through the 2,000 point barrier.  Once you construct a 13-letter word and get a score over 1,500, you'll see that approaching 2,000 and even exceeding it isn't as difficult as first thought.  My personal best is 1,725 so far . . .

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'll have to give this method a try.  I'm already aware that it takes a 13-letter word to get your score over 1000, but have not yet considered making a list of many candidate words as you suggested. 

THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

baloney!!

Periodic Contributor

. . .

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Remember playing for hours at the local arcade? Now, play your favorite Atari games like Pong, Centipede, Breakout, Missile Command & Asteroids on AARP Games. Play Now.

AARP Games Atari

AARP Games

Atari's Asteroids is here! Grab the controls, destroy asteroids and watch out for counter fire in this classic arcade game.

Game on!
AARP Games Atari Asteroids
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg