Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: Insanely High Scores on Leaderboard In Outspell

Message 1 of 15

In practice mode, just like in game mode, you can add to a word to end up with longer words. This is what William and I do to end up with a word that spans the length or heighth of the board. Because of the nature of scoring on Outspell as opposed to normal Scrabble, Each subsequent addition to a word takes advantage of all those double or triple letter scores. And just like regular Outspell, when you cross two or more double or triple word scores, it accumulates those as well. This is how a word can add up to so many points. If you were able to lay it all down at once, it would not be worth as much as William correctly pointed out in his example of his opening word. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

I guess playing in practice mode would explain those high scores - not exactly fair to the rest of us who are playing against the computer!  I couldn't imagine how such a high score would be possible - - I am good with word games and can never get above my current high score.  I keep on trying, though!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

I play for relaxation and fun. I don’t believe in cheating. What’s the point? But I don’t see how these high scores on some games have been made. I’ve always done very well on puzzles and word games. I feel like a dummy when I see some of the high scores! Oh well, as long as I enjoy it, I will still play!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

Hi William8298, 

Chasbari here and I am definitely not a Bot! I find it rather cool that you and I have discovered the best word to use to start in practice mode as I, too, use "alphabetizers" horizontally to build my practice high score. I play in regular mode as well but I worked out the starting word and framed words to maximize the positions of the highest value letters on multipliers for greatest effect. Blanks are both the letter Z for me. I went through many permutations of the rest of the framed words to come up with the puzzle I am playing at present and I thinks it's about time I came up with another one to see if I can beat that score. I have seen scores on other sites that baffle me because they are way beyond what I have been able to come up with here.. I think it was over on the Washington Post site that I saw a score in the hundreds of thousands. The only credible way I could think of for that was to come up with the largest solid block of intersecting words.. perhaps. But that is way beyond me. I charted out boards on graph paper with letter inventories to work out possibilities. It became an obsession for a time once I figured out how you were scoring your 7183. That became my target goal. To be able to best your high score. Perhaps I should give away another of my words. My left side vertical that I build off the opening word is "protogalaxies." Thing is, it isn't only a matter of the right words but also to figure out the exact sequence of how to build that word in order to get the maximum score from each segment of a word that is still considered a word by the game. You can do this in practice mode because the computer isn't interfering as an opponent would. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

Thanks for the feedback, Williamh.  I tried Practice mode today and can see how the points rack up since there is no opponent.  Not as challenging or fun as a regular game, but good to know at least from where most of the high scores are emanating. I got over 900.  My "legitimate" high score is 747.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15
Never played the practice mode. Thanks for the tip. However, we do not get that many letters to begin with. I understood the leadership board was for legitimate players on a regular game and not practice board. Practice is practice. This needs to be looked at.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

Ok, I’ll respond. I’m williamh8298 and I am not a bot. Earlier today I posted the second highest score of the day, 7183. I will tell you exactly how I did it, and even give you the first word I played. Firstly, you have realize that no matter what mode or level you play at, your score can be posted to the top scores board. So I found out that when I play in Practice mode, the results are eligible for the top scores. Is that fair? All I know is Practice mode works for me. My usual first word is ALPHABETIZERS, played horizontally. I keep restarting the game until B E comes up, play BE first, then keep exchanging letters to build up the entire word. By the way, just that one word scores 1416 points.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

I only play word wipe, but bots would explain the high scores and the lack of replies when I asked for some advice for it.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

Thanks everyone, we are looking into scoring on this game.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

Okay - bots explain the high scores in several games.  WordWipe I get to Level 16, often using every available letter - and still not even close to just that DAY's high score.  Backgammon - without other scoring methods, it's not possible to score 800+.  And Ali's whatever - in the BILLIONS?  I just play for myself so don't see the point in cheating just for a score.  Oh wait - just read the news.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera