Periodic Contributor

Ideas for improving Word Wipe

I think the weakness of the game is that there is usually not nearly enough time to really plan ahead for the endgame, consequently too often one ends up with an unclearable board, and clearing the board is critical to high scoring.  I think it would improve the game if one had, say, five minutes instead of three. 

But even if I were going to keep it at three minutes I would make a couple of other tweaks to make the game more playable and enjoyable:

1. Reward fast finishes:  when a player clears the board give 5 points for every unused second remaining on the clock. 

2. At the start of the game give the player an unobstructed view of the entire board for, say, 30 seconds before the clock starts. Wiping would be disabled for this 30 second period, you just get to study the board.

3. Bombs should cover a nine box area every time, meaning I should not be required to drop the bomb on a letter.  Right now I cannot detonate a bomb by placing it on an empty square - e.g., if I have six letters in an L shape, three vertical and three horizontal, I cannot remove all six at once with a bomb because the bomb won't work unless it is placed over a letter, and no matter what letter I choose in the L I cannot cover all six letters. 

4. Once there are nine or less letters remaining both two and one letter words should become acceptable.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png