Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: I'd like to have my "Handle" appear by my score

Message 1 of 11

@Epster, thaks for your post with the navigation to changing our usernames, although I think there's been a software update since last year.  The curent navigation is:

Click the down arrow next to the A. Select My Account.

The landing page opens on a tab named My AAPR.  To the right are tabs named Account Details, Interests and Newsletters.  Select the Account Details tab.  Under Login Information are EDIT buttons for Email, Password and Community User Name.  Click on the EDIT button next to Community User Name to change those unrecognizable auto-generated letters and numbers.

BTW, the "letters and numbers" user name did not show up next to the A at the top of the page; it showed my first name (and still does after the revision).  Again, kudos!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@CatGiorgia66 All I can say at this point is what I've already said: you'll have to call AARP at the number I've posted above to get this moniker debacle resolved. Best wishes.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

Two out of three -- yes.

I have my real ("secret") name, and the name (CatGiorgia66) that shows up on the posts.  I'm trying to find out how to get the CatGiorgia moniker to show up on the games boards, instead of a weird number.

If this board/forum allowed for PM's, I'd write to one of the people who does have the good fortune of having a real name to attach to their scores and find out how they did it.  I'm beginning to suspect that the people who have this feature have it "grandfathered in" from a prior, better iteration of the games site.  Oh, well.

Thank you, Epster, for trying to help.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

@CatGiorgia66  OK. So you have three AARP monikers then? Your real name, the name that shows up on the games site and the name that shows up on your posts? I refer you back to my earlier post:

Does CatGiorgia show up on your screen's upper right corner next to the red A inside a gear? Or does the name you wish to change show up there?

look to the left of this symbollook to the left of this symbol

If the name you wish to change shows up there, then you can edit it yourself. Go into your account details page and change the name appearing above your member ID number. (This is where I have initials rather than my username, Epster.)

If that's not the issue, then I believe the problem in on AARP's side and you'll have to contact them to get that fixed.

By Phone

Toll-Free Nationwide: 1-888-OUR-AARP
(1-888-687-2277)

Toll-Free Spanish: 1-877-342-2277

International Calls: +1-202-434-3525

TTY user dial 711
    -English: 1-877-434-7598
    -Spanish: 1-866-238-9488

Hours: Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. through 11 p.m. ET

General Questions

Email Us:  member@aarp.org

Best wishes!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

Hi again, Epster!

Thank you for your efforts.  However, my problem isn't with the name that appears next to the gear-icon (which says quite correctly, "Hi, [my real first name].

Going into the Account Details, as you describe, look at the right side, under "Your Online Profile" and you'll see where you can enter a "username" -- "CatGiorgia66"  in my case.  I'd like to know how to get this username functional on the Games site.

PS: I like your signature quote.  One of my favorites is from George Bernard Shaw:

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples, then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@CatGiorgia66 I have an unusual moniker as well, Indeed Google tells me I am the only person they can find with my name. Thus, like you, I never use it in situations like this. 

But there is good news. You can change the name appearing up in the upper right corner of your screen. So yay! Smiley Happy

Click the down arrow next to the A. Select My Account.

On the new page, called My Account, you'll have a column on the left called My Account Information. The account number and account name are displayed next to an image of your membership card. Under that, you'll see Account Settings, and a button with the words View and Edit My Account. Click on the View and Edit My Account button.

In the middle of the new page you'll see Membership Information and the name you wish to change. Click the little pencil to the right of that name to get the edit page. Change your name.

I put two initials in the First Name field, nothing in the middle (cuz it doesn't show up onscreen and I wanted something a bit more complicated than one initial) and one initial in the the Last Name field. When you are satisfied with your new Leaderboard Name, (AKA account name) click save. And be joyous. Smiley Happy

What shows up on my screen next to the red A is what I put in the First Name field. What shows up on mailings and my card is what I put into both fields. When I call in for help, the fact that I use only initials tends to trip up the customer service rep, but I always talk them through it. Smiley Happy

Best wishes! Go get 'em!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

Hi, Epster!

My "realworld" first name (which is extremely unusual, and I never use in on-line fora) appears next to the gear-shaped "A" circle.

Somewhere along the line, there was a place where I was able to sign up to appear as "CatGiorgia66" in this community.

I assumed that this would be the name which appears on the scoring Leaderboards, but it'snot.

For instance, on a typical leaderboard, people show up with names like "Jeannie19521952" and "kysweetiepie" or "Janina 115".  Others like me, show up as non-descript number/letter codes.

Click on the Monthly Leaderboard here and you'll see what I mean.

Game leaderboard

Why/How do people get to be "Rexdreizehn" or "tigerman6", while I'm stuck with being "a8####4c" ?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@CatGiorgia66

Does CatGiorgia show up on your screen's upper right corner next to the red A inside a gear? Or does the name you wish to change show up there?

AARP.pnglook to the left of this symbol

If the name you wish to change shows up there, then you can edit it yourself. Go into your account details page and change the name appearing above your member ID number. (This is where I have initials rather than my username, Epster.)

If that's not the issue, then I believe the problem in on AARP's side and you'll have to contact them to get that fixed.

By Phone

Toll-Free Nationwide: 1-888-OUR-AARP
(1-888-687-2277)

Toll-Free Spanish: 1-877-342-2277

International Calls: +1-202-434-3525

TTY user dial 711
    -English: 1-877-434-7598
    -Spanish: 1-866-238-9488

Hours: Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. through 11 p.m. ET

General Questions

Email Us:  member@aarp.org

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

I have tried, but to no avail.

My personal profile page is where I established "CatGiorgia" as my on-line moniker.  Other people's "names" show up with their high scores on the game-boards.  Others (like me) are identified with a weird Letter/numbers/letter code.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

@CatGiorgia66 Is this something you can accomplish via editing your account data?

I don't play the games, so I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about, however the system gets your name from somewhere, and I'm assuming that somewhere is your account. 

My real name does not appear anywhere on my account. I use initials only. 

Kudos
Views