Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How do I earn points in the Backgammon game

Message 1 of 18

If you want to get higher points, do not play as if you are playing a human. To my way of thinking, there is a design flaw in that the computer is programmed to knock off your checkers whenever it can, so I intentionally let it do that, and then easily knock off theirs. The idea is to slowly fill in your 'home' space with doubled checkers and repeat the above several times. I have had over 700 and 800 using this method. Ideally you want to get as many checkers on the bar as you can and get the home space filled in. It takes time, patience, and most of all, luck of the dice. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

Since your handle implies affiliation with AARP, I hope you can answer my questions.
Why hasn't AARP posted a details page about its scoring system, explaining all ways to earn points, such as bonus points? Every game should have a link to such a document.
Although I usually get below 150, one game gave me 651 points. How did I earn them? And how did "ssammi" last week post a seemingly-impossible 17,340 score? Can scores like this be legitimately attained, or have some player found ways to cheat the game?
Thanks,
Dano

P.S. Several weeks later, it started showing my all-time high as 182 instead of 651. What could change that?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

The answer:  They paid the refs under the table prior to our arrival.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

I agree with the other posters. I will all the time often with the other side having zero pips off and many time pips still in the lower left quadrant. In some cases as many as ten pips in the lower left quadrant yet the best score I have ever gotten is 188. So the scores of 800 or so are using some kind of scoring I have never heard of. As far as I am concerned unless you can detail how to get 800 your system is flawed. I ignore all the bogus scores and know I did well.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

the way you get the very high scores, above 200, is to clear off all your disc while the other player still has 1 are more disc that have been taken out but are not yet back in. The more he can't get back end before you clear the board the bigger the scores. I can't remember excatly what you get for each one still left out but its over 100 points and it's more points for the second and third one and so on. Hope that helps! Note, it not easy to do this! that's why the big points!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

I scored 663 on a game, but I have no idea how it happened.I didn't do anything different than when my score is between 50 - 200.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

@Bevs20 wrote:

Yes, those super high scores there are only possible through some kind of cheat.  Ditto the pretend Scrabble game, OUTSPELL, there is no other way to get a score of 5000+ than some kind of computer rigged cheat.

It is my opinion that several have HACKED the AARP GAMES PLATFORM.

If you would, @Bevs20, check the scoreboard on the BLACKJACK game and tell me what you think.

Try scoring close to ONE BILLION......... no way.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

Yes, those super high scores there are only possible through some kind of cheat.  Ditto the pretend Scrabble game, OUTSPELL, there is no other way to get a score of 5000+ than some kind of computer rigged cheat.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

@AARPLynne wrote:

Hello everyone, here's what I've learned:

The more pips the opponent has, the higher score the player will get. “Pips” are the number of moves it would take for the player to remove all of his checkers from the board.

That number comes from adding how many moves it would take to get each individual checker off the board (this is what the numbers in the middle of the screen mean).

So if most of the opponent’s checkers are far away from the end of the board when the player wins, the player will get a higher score.

As for the best way to do this, it comes down to backgammon strategy and isn’t specific to our game. There is no score awarded for individual moves. There is no time bonus or anything like that.

Hope this helps!

This description above is incorrect.

I have gotten all my pips out with the computer's pips still in my home quadrant and still didn't score more than what others are describing. From the best I can tell, the scoring program is almost opposite of what backgammon scoring is supposed to be but not exactly.

This has always been. People have complained about it before. Nothing has ever been done.... don't expect anything now.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

Yeah, I think those high scores have to be cheating.  It would be interesting to learn they are not though.

I hate the way this backgammon board is scored though, no extra points if none of the opposing player's peices are not "home" etc.  No doubling cube, but if you just do the math, using the way it's actually scored in this game?  Those super high scores are impossible, without a cheat, or some flaw in the game they have discovered.

I am also curious about the OUTSPELL (scrabble clone) game scores, using all of your letters doesn't give you a bonus at all, let alone 50 point bonus, there seems to be odd scoring things around the triple letter square, even if someone else already used it, but other than that, I'm still lost on how people are getting 1300 point scores.  I'd love to know.

Kudos
Views