Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do I earn points in the Backgammon game

Message 11 of 18

It is impossible to achieve a score over 360 without access to the doubling cube. Obviously, the people getting to scores of 600 and above are granted access to the doubling cube while many (most?) of us are not. I have no idea what these people did to get an advantage over the rest of us.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

I see all the posts about "how AARP is addressing the scoring issues" mostly by simply eliminating "all time highs" etc.

I don't care about that.

I want to know how in the heck people are getting impossible scores.  Is there a trick to that?

Also, while you are "addressing" things AARP, can you please include real backgammon scoring, and the ability to "double" then penalties for not having any pips out of certain sections of the board, etc?

I consistently can get scores well over 200 by playing a "back game" only, but come on, HOW did someone get 500+ points?  It's impossible.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

Hello everyone, here's what I've learned:

The more pips the opponent has, the higher score the player will get. “Pips” are the number of moves it would take for the player to remove all of his checkers from the board.

That number comes from adding how many moves it would take to get each individual checker off the board (this is what the numbers in the middle of the screen mean).

So if most of the opponent’s checkers are far away from the end of the board when the player wins, the player will get a higher score.

As for the best way to do this, it comes down to backgammon strategy and isn’t specific to our game. There is no score awarded for individual moves. There is no time bonus or anything like that.

Hope this helps!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Hello @mm55953670. Thanks for your interest in this topic. I've sent your request to the product team to see if any information can be provided. Thanks for contributing the AARP Online Community!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

I'm finding this frustrating as well.  I've been gammoning and backgammoning the computer and the score seems to be calculated based on the number of pips left on your oponent's board when you win.  This is not how backgammon is traditionally scored.  I see much higher scores than I'm getting even when I gammon the opponent.  Highest I've been able to achieve is 178 and I win consistently, but I see much higher scores from others.  No option to double the stakes so I can't see how others are scoring higher.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

I'd be interested to know this, too. It's pointless to keep scores if it's impossible to know how to achieve them. When I'm playing backgammon, my mind is on strategy and tactics; I can't be bothered to watch the score & analyze how it's happening.

I win against the computer all the time, but my scores are typically less than 100.

There should be info--for EVERY game--on how to achieve higher scores.

Or don't keep scores!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

Not a clue.  I'm just glad the computer does it and I don't have to.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do I earn points in the Backgammon game

Message 18 of 18

Please read Subject line. 

Does anyone know how the scoring is calculated in the Backgammon.

Thanks

Kudos
Views
Replies