Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Has anyone seen a rectangular promo for an elected official on this website?

Message 1 of 3

@MaestraB 

Would you please email your screenshot to community@aarp.org?  This will help us understand what's happening.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Has anyone seen a rectangular promo for an elected official on this website?

Message 2 of 3

It’s me again. I now have a screen shot. Not sure how to add it to this message, but here’s what it says:

Senator Pat Toomey

Champion of Patient Access.

And then there is what must be a live link, labeled:

LEARN MORE

Thanks for reading all of this.  I hope some of you will be as concerned as I am. Or maybe know enough to explain why there’s nothing to worry about?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Has anyone seen a rectangular promo for an elected official on this website?

Message 3 of 3

Today, Tues May 26th, I ran into three different rectangular squares, on different pages of our website. They each featured the name Sen.Pat Toomey and a brief message about some sort of political or legal issue that seniors might be interested in. I have never seen anything like this on any website, let alone on our AARP website.  They turned up on three different pages over the space of about an hour or so. I’m concerned that these pop ups suggest one of two things has happened:

1. AARP has decided to allow at least some form of political advertising.  If so, I would like to find out the basis for this decision. To my mind, they would be opening a floodgate that should remained firmly closed.  We are one of the largest voting blocks in the US, and our member website would be a prize for any politician. And once we’ve agreed to including one politician’s messaging, where will it stop?

2.  Some major marketing agency or political gun for hire, who is tied to assisting politicians promote themselves, has found a way to penetrate our website. That is equally disturbing for the same reasons. And if that’s the case, and it isn’t stopped, their activities could result in a massive disruption of the AARP website’s integrity. 

Have any any of you seen anything like this?  If so, please reply. And I’d love to know what each of you think about what this might mean, whether you’ve seen anything like it yet or not. 

I would also appreciate it if you could keep an eye out for other politically-connected pop ups, and make note of who is being promoted. Even better, take a screen shot and include it in your message!  Unfortunately I didn’t think to do it i time, but I will if and when another one appears. 

So what do you think?

Barbara S

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users