Periodic Contributor

HIGH SCORE TIPS on AARP GAMES

I was just wondering if anyone is interested in a tips thread?

For example, I always wondered if there was a way to sink a golf ball in one shot in the clown's face part of the MINIATURE GOLF game.  Ha!  I think my highest score was 69, certain holes defeated me.

I'll start, since I'm currently holduing the high score in the 9 BALL game.  My tips:

1. Hit and/or sink as many balls as possible in each shot.
  2. Don't play it like regular 9 ball, sinking the 9 early hurts your score.
  3. You have to play all 5 games to get a score over 100, and that does mean risk, and deliberately losing some games at the end, in order to play all 5 games in the series.  For example, just pocket the cue ball when only the 9 is left.
  4. Hit hard for many shots, unless you are in danger of losing the entire 5-game series *(not just that particular one.)   You get a higher score if 5 balls are hit, even if you only sink one ball.  Also, of course you can also get lucky and sink more that way.
  5. If you don't sink at least two balls on the first shot of the first game, start over.
  6. I like to aim at the one and 4, be careful not to hit the 2 in your opening shot.  Line up from the side, on the line to do this.
  7. Using English on the cue ball is very impoertant in this game for your leave and multiple balls sinking in one shot.  If you aren't used to it, just practice during bad games.
  8. The computer is very good at long soft shots, and also rail shots, try not to leave the computer those shots.  It's not as good at bank shots or with balls that have nearly sunk and are almost in the hole.
  9. Go ahead and foul, it's better to sink a ball that isn't the ball you are supposed to hit than not.  Only, of course, if you have NO shot on the correct ball, you get the same score anyway for pocketing any ball, you just won't get the next shot and the computer will have ball in hand.

Hope others chime on here, with non-cheating ways to score high.  The Backgammon high scores seem to be cheats, so not interested in those, but the new Scrabble clone, miniature golf, and other games will be interesting.

Oh, my high 8 BALL score was traditional good pool playing along with trying for as many combination shots as possible, no other tricks there really, it's very different than the 9 BALL game as far as scoring and strategy, for that one?  Just play good pool and run the table.

Periodic Contributor

Bev, once again. I'd add that shape is super important as you know but leaving crummy shape for the computer is great. It will give you an easy ball-in-hand and is terrible at strategy if it does not have a shot.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks, Bev! Those are great tips. I play 9 Ball occasionally and have never tried for the leader board.

Your tip 2 is something I've been missing. Also probably playing the expert professor (or whatever he is) will get you a better score than the other two.

This tip on 9 ball should have it's own thread and the structure of this board ought to make it easier to find tips on a particular game. For sure I don't play everything but the solitaire games are even more obscure. I play quickly and get no where close to the top score.

So, please restate your excellent points in a 9 Ball thread of its own. It's worth it. Thanks.

0 Kudos

I wonder if the real "game" here is to study people who are playing a game without having a clue as to the rules of the game, how it is scored, and who is keeping a record of the scores, and if that list is open to the public?  The "rules" are just "join the dots," but who knows what "scores," or even what the score is on a particular move, or why one simple move will half-way clear the board, while another long and complicated move gets a "blah" and the game ends?  In other words, is this a metaphor for LIFE?   Is there a cartel of game-makers getting drunk over the power they have over playing people?  I quit.

Periodic Contributor

Hi everyone my name is Lauren,

I want to know how these people are getting into the hundred thousands in the word scrable game? I have made leader board twice but that was like 3 in the morning the highest

I've gotten is 44700 points.

When I have played bookworm adventures I got over 4 mill and the title of word hoarder.

I know there has got to be a trick but for 4 months now I still have not figured it out.

Thanks

Lauren

Conversationalist

Any tips on sweet shuffle?  Not sure which is a good combination to make higher points? It's not like the other games.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am a senior, 77 yrs of age. My favorite games are Mah Jongg Candy and Toy Box. I don't feel that these new games are geared for people of my age.  I see high scores posted and wonder if these people are really seniors. Also, some games have too many shuffles (frustrating) and a person needs to be a speed demon to finish the games. I used to get higher scores with the old games. Now I'm lucky to get into the hundreds. Anyone feel the same?

Contributor

Yes! on those same games.  I used to rock.  Now I'm puf-f-f-f... I thought I was losing it.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes I agree with you. I used to get high scores in Tri-Peaks solitary. I can not do as weak as I did. I do not understand how people get scores as high as they do. Must be a trick in there some where. Jfree69

JEFFREY L. ANDERSON
Periodic Contributor

I totally agree with everything you said.  So the only thing we can do is play for fun, try to get better but don't make that your priority.  Just play for fun, and have a life outside playing games.  I'm sure the people that play these games and have cheat codes don't have much of life other than that.  

Contributor

I think a better way of scoring the results of a bridge game would be to report the DIFFERENCE between your score and the computer's score, rather than your score alone.

0 Kudos
Contributor

If you don't sink at least one ball with break shot quit game and start over. If you miss a shot after break so you won't run the table quit and start over (you just lost 5000 points). When you quit and play again computer will ask if you want to continue game in progress. Hit NO. Try to win the first 2 games and run the table except for the 9 ball on third game so your score at that point is over 70,000. Always line up your shot and use english to place que ball at end of shot, this takes practice. Don't use full power when shooting. You will notice the computer uses just enough power to sink the target ball. I figured out the disappearing 9 ball problem. As soon as the 9 ball disappears from the table quit the game. When you hit the 'play again' the computer will ask if you want to continue with game in progress hit yes. The 9 ball will be back on the table. 

Periodic Contributor

How are people getting such high scores in Backgammon? It's unreal. 

Contributor

Was this questioned ever answered. I am curious as well. I win at backgammon alot and my score never comes close to the high scores. How is this done?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Where are people getting such high scores in the BRIDGE game.  For several days the high scores were in the 5000-7000 range with an occational above this.  Now we are back to 35,740 by TnC956907.  The high scores are often higher than this for days,  How are they getting that high of a score?  Grand Slams galore?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When anyone finds out how to score such high scores, let me know!

Periodic Contributor

I don't know  either.  Maybe it's the grandkids getting these unbelivable scores.  I play knife smash a lot it's the only time I get on the leader board, at least for a hour or two.  It seems that you have less players after midnight, so if you are a night owl like me, you might try it then.  Most of the time I think it's the luck of the deal and I haven't been too lucky in that department.

I wish they would get a checkers game with the ability to chat with your opponent.

I know a little about bridge, I took beginning lessions a long time ago, but I am not savvy enough to play on line.

I also wish they had some untimed versions of these games for those of us who want to take our time and enjoy the experience.

Enjoy your day.

Marianne

I like Mahjongg Solitaire, and I can't fathom how anyone could get scores like the high scores.  Are there rules that I don't know about to increase scores?  I clear the board regularly.  My highest score was a bit over 60,000.  But that's nowhere near the top scores, usually somewhere around 100,000.

On some of the games, this one for sure, I have no clue as to how points are scored.  You just play and at the end get a number.  ??  Where did it come from?  Like when I scored over 60,000 I have no idea as to what I did differently to get that score. 

Thanks

Periodic Contributor

I’m with you on this! I would love to see a YOUTube video showing how fast someone must be to get in the 100,000’s....I’ve read the directions, googled how to play, written down the high tiles, and try first for the high scoring tiles, chains, etc and still my highest scores are in the 60’s! TIPS PLEASE!!!!
0 Kudos
Contributor

How to score is shown under the "?" sign in the upper right hand corner when the game is in play. Even having this info, it is a rare occasion I score above 60,000. The game is addictive and I am constantly trying different strategies.
Super Contributor

I think there are gremlins in here. (not AARP, but in the games themselves). I thought my computer was the problem when I'd have to click more than two times on a tile. Luckily it wasn't my computer !
0 Kudos
Contributor

Its simple. Guys or girls have got  software programs made to beat these game.

Regular Contributor

I would love to watch a YouTube video of one of the high-scorers...

On Trizzle, it's possible I think. I made over 100,000 once myself.

Polly
Sic 'em Bears!
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

It's definitely possible to get high scores on Trizzle; my highest was more than 230,000. Best tip I saw for that? When you make a set of the three largest nesting dolls, try to make it near the center of the board -- and it's worth an extra move or two for positioning. There will be more dolls around the one that forms from that set, which means when that doll spins and makes the surrounding dolls larger, there will be more dolls getting larger -- thus scoring you more points.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Where are the tips?  How do I watch anything?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I definitely agree. I play often, but do not have ilusions of grandure. I play to exceed my best score. TN's scores are OVER THE TOP. Not sure how. Would love to know. thanks, Patrohn

Regular Contributor

I just cannnot break the 6000 mark.  Usually much lower.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

not posssible, for  sure! 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

People are getting the unbelievable high scores on Backgammon the same way others are getting unbelievable high scores playing other games. They're downloading a program that aids them to cheat. They have such big egos that they get their kicks out of keeping honest players from reaching the leader board. Personally, I think only AARP Members should be able to play the games provided.

As for me, I get my kicks out of surpassing my own personal score.

bam1954
Periodic Contributor

Thanks for this answer. Playing "Outspell", I'm a pretty good player without any aids, and was wondering about those ultra-high scores. Now I know how it happens.

0 Kudos