Community Manager
Community Manager

Do high scores matter? Behind the Leaderboard™ Discussion 2

Over the past several weeks, you've met a few of your fellow gamers through our articles and forum discussions. In our Behind the Leaderboard™ series, Bob J. (@BobJ685852), Delphine R. (@Delreed351), and Barbara M. (@bem1211)  say they play games to challenge themselves, while retiree Mary Louise H. (@mlou58)  just plays for fun.

Are you a casual gamer or a fierce competitor? Do high scores even matter?

Super Contributor

I also like to see my high score posted and like to see the high-score number creep up over time. Since some of my games have very low scores, it might be interesting to see an average score posted. I wonder how often those high scorers get very high scores.  Don't they sometimes also get barely over 100 as I do?

Periodic Contributor

In haven't even figured how to get a score let alone get a high one. It seems stuck at 497 and no daily score shows up. Can someone tell me how to score Outspell?  Thanks!

Contributor

I enjoy playing, but don't understand why the game is over when I have a good 3 minutes left to play.

Super Contributor

I am definitely not a competitive person.  Although, it has discouraged me to see such high scores on the leader board when mine is so low.  I wonder what it is that I have not figured out. When I first started playing 10x10, I spent weeks and weeks trying to figure out a strategy for higher scoring.  But, I eventually gave up on high scores and simply play to relax in the evenings before bedtime.

Now that I've discovered Word Wipe - I still have low scores.  I just tell myself I'm not a complete moron and enjoy the play. It's fun but not as relaxing since it is a timed game.

Periodic Contributor

I feel the same way as Dinata, ...I play for fun, relaxation but I'm a bit competetive so I somehow feel discouraged when I play a simple game and see how the leader is 15,000 pts. over the 2nd place scorer. I do well on sudoku  often which is nice, but I love the various Mahjonng games and can only seem to get better a little at a time. Very much enjoy brain engaging games and think they are good for me as long as I don't play too much.

Periodic Contributor

Me, too. I play Mahjong Dimensions and if I score higher than 30,000 I feel good. Then I look at the leader board and players are posting 100,000+. I've tried ti figure it out, like how can anyone even click that fast, much less match icons? I'll just keep plugging on. I enjoy trying to beat myself, which I guess is the object. 

Jill Wing
Periodic Contributor

I am mildly competitve with myself.

I reach a "high" score for myself and then play to that level of competence. That will tell me if it is a good day or not. If I am tracking well! If not, then I know I had better be careful today. Don't write checks or pay bills. I will mess it up..

I suppose that is not really being competitive.

And some games are better for checking verbal skills that I check on, also...

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

I'm with you, Dinata. Some of those high scores are just crazy! I do like to see my scores improve over time even though I'm never close to making the leaderboard. 

Like you, I just like to play for a fun self-challenge. I don't really compare myself to the leaders. 

@Dinata wrote:

I am definitely not a competitive person.  Although, it has discouraged me to see such high scores on the leader board when mine is so low.  I wonder what it is that I have not figured out. When I first started playing 10x10, I spent weeks and weeks trying to figure out a strategy for higher scoring.  But, I eventually gave up on high scores and simply play to relax in the evenings before bedtime.

Now that I've discovered Word Wipe - I still have low scores.  I just tell myself I'm not a complete moron and enjoy the play. It's fun but not as relaxing since it is a timed game.

0 Kudos
Contributor

ALL these crazy high scores on All games are FAKE! They are there just to keep you coming back 4 more.Any one with common sense should know that we are all in our own rite good players that can just never SEEM to measure up.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I don't know if they are all fake, but I do know they make me feel stupid and slow.  I wish they would dispose of the leader board.

Contributor

Me too.....I play Wander Words a lot, I do good if I get over a 100 in a day much less 90,000, there is no possible way.

Conversationalist

I play for fun and to challenge myself. However it burns my bridges that in blackjack there is one guy in particular,   that he has to be a millionare player every day and this has been going on for months All you need now are 9 other players doing the same thing and then no one will be able to crack these monopolies. BTW I have seen 3-4 people  have over 1.00,000 points.  This game is not named for them but these lime lighters  seem to think that it's all about them. You need to put some resrictions on these scores  100,000 for example at least it gives others a chance for that top spot, because that is what we all play for.    or better yet put a clock on the amount of time  they can play say 10-15 minutes at a time this would be a fair solution for all

Super Contributor

I'd just like to have someone explain how to eat a box of chocolates in five minutes!   On a serious note the high leadership scores are impossible to believe.

Contributor

that is what I think too.
Regular Contributor

kind of make you feel like "why bother" doesn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

Trusted Contributor

What size box?

Super Contributor

LOL.  When frustrated we may as well start joking.\

Periodic Contributor

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I find that I can't reach scores anywhere near the leaders either. I love Mahjong Age of Alchemy and I play to relax at bedtime also.  One reason I know of that may slow me down is my mouse. If you have a touch screen I'm sure it's quicker. So don't worry about your score, just enjoy playing and I will too!

0 Kudos

My wife and I both play word wipe which is a timed game.  It is impossible to get 60,000 in the time allowed.  I don't know how it's done but we both enjoy seeing our scores improve.  I would also like to see the average scores for people on the game.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Me too!  I wonder how many games they play with low scores before they hit the jackpot with those unbelievable high scores.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't enjoy the timed games as much either. For me it takes the fun out of it because I just get stressed out!!

Periodic Contributor

The timed games mostly frustrate me. 

I

don't care about those really high scores. I figure whoever got them have figured out how to game the system. If you do that, then what fun is it?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I agree Jessica. I play to relax, not compete and I find having a timer on the game is a stressor for me.

Regular Contributor

If you read my story you know that high scores do not matter to me. I'm amazed at some of them though and wonder how they do it. I tried Tap Zap Boom recently and thought the high scorer on that game must have really good reflexes! I think I have gotten on the board with only 5 Roll.

On another subject yesterday I refrained from playing any games all day. I must admit it was hard and am now wondering how addicted I am to playing.

Super Contributor

I'm pretty sure I have a mild addiction.  I sneak in a game between other computer tasks or while I'm on hold on the phone. 

Trusted Contributor

I am 100% competetive when it comes to gaming. Some games have impossible high scores so I generally just challenge myself to beat my own high scores. Other games that have more attainable high scores, I generally just try to make the leaderboard. Overall, just looking for a little time killing fun! 

Community Concierge

I love your competitive spirit! That extra layer of competition makes gaming a little more exciting! Who do you like to compete with? 

My mother and I sometimes compare Candy Crush scores, but that's about it for me. But I definitely get competitive with myself. 

@BobJ685852 wrote:

I am 100% competetive when it comes to gaming. Some games have impossible high scores so I generally just challenge myself to beat my own high scores. Other games that have more attainable high scores, I generally just try to make the leaderboard. Overall, just looking for a little time killing fun! 

Periodic Contributor

I don't care much about the leaderbosrd, but I am interested in what the maximum possible score is in Word Wipe.

I've seen hundreds of thousands of points, or rogue scores doubling what even seems possible.

I just don't see how its possible to score that.

My sense is that the reason the "leaderboard" doesn't matter is that there are people out there with so much time on their hands that they spend it "gaming" free games.

Why would they even bother, when their talents could be better spent elsewhere?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@Roxanne*** I agree with you about Word Wipe, my new favorite game here on AARP.  I am fairly good at finding words although of course my brain isn't what it was when I was younger.  Still, I have my doubts that some of those scores on the leaderboard are accurate.  The only time I make that leaderboard is around midnight.  I don't worry about the names on the leaderboard with unbelievably high scores.  I only try to match or exceed my own top score, and I really enjoy that game.  It is a great way to unwind after a hard day.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
AARP Members Only Games

AARP Members, play Pong, the game that started it all! Grab your paddle, play the angles and score to win.

Paddles up!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Pong
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg