Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Do high scores matter? Behind the Leaderboard™ Discussion 2

Message 21 of 196

Good question.  I have often wondered why AARP has not addressed this.  Maybe they think those scores are obtainable. Maybe they have no way of controlling it. I would like to know how they do it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 22 of 196

I completely agree with you truthseeker66.  I'm not sure which game you are referring to but I think your analysis probably applies to all the AARP games.  It certainly applies to the game I play most, WordWipe.

Following is an excerpt from one of a couple of long posts I made regarding how WordWipe is scored and the unbelievable scores we have seen.  If you are interested, you can read my longer posts that lay out how I arrived at the conclusions below.  They are posted under the title "WordWipe Scoring".  I have suggested one way those who are reporting the highest scores day-after-day might prove their validity by posting a screenshot of their score page.  No one has yet taken me up on that.  I have also commented on how it's the same "people" (bots?) every single day.

"I’ve come to the conclusion that it is highly likely that there are some bogus scores being reported for Word Wipe.

Scores above 60,000: Most likely bogus
50,000 to 60,000: Very hard to believe
40,000 to 50,000: 40,000ish, maybe; 50,000ish, probably not legit
30,000 to 40,000: 30,000ish - Believable; 40,000ish - Very difficult but not impossible
20,000 to 30,000: Humanly possible
10,000 to 20,000: Very possible

In the past week, the AARP leaderboard has contained scores of over 70,000 and over 90,000 twice – by the same person. I’m not buying those at all."

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 23 of 196

My theory is that these scores cannot be achieved without the help of some sort of computer program/cheating.  If this speculation is incorrect, I implore some of the high scorers who are always on the leaderboard and DO NOT have the help of technical aids to please chime in on this conversation and prove me wrong.  So far we haven't heard from anyone defending their legitimate playing techniques and to me that speaks volumes.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 196

Hello. If you are indeed one of the AARP "Game Officials" you and others have obviously seen the many complaints from members about the proliferation of ridiculously (and seemingly unattainable) high scores. It's so obvious to many of us that something's rotten in the state of Denmark yet our concerns are continually ignored by the powers that be. Instead we get a blithe, airy letter thanking us for our comments and inviting us to start a second thread. Why is that?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 25 of 196

I find the extremely high scores frustrating as I can't imagine ever being able to achieve.  It is a little rewarding to see my name there briefly at the bottom of the top 10.   I would love to see videos of how these high scores are being achieved without help from a computer program.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 26 of 196

Hi Gamers! 

Thanks to everyone for chiming in about your gaming style and high scores. Please come join us in our most recent Behind the Leaderboard forum thread where we're sharing more about what gaming means to us personally. What's your story?

Here's the link: 

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Games/What-s-your-personal-story-Behind-the-Leaderboard-Discussion-7/m...

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 27 of 196

Exactly! Also, the AARP regulators set the plays, points, etc to help the high scorers!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 28 of 196

I play Scramble Words, primarily, to improve my score.  but I get really frustrated when I see 99% of the leaderboard in the 52000-64000 range (my highest score is 51,950, so it keeps me at least trying), and then one or two people, who it appears have created some kind of an algorithm to play for them, with scores well into the 80,000-100,000 range.  It's not fun, it's discouraging, and if they really do have something that plays for them to get those scores, it's cheating and they should be gone.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Message 29 of 196

I get the same frustration with Word Wipe and Scramble Words.  I put in a well-known, common word and it gets rejected.  Now, that is frustrating!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 30 of 196

Probably have been playing for a year or two.  One loses track of time......thanks. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!