Community Manager
Community Manager

Do high scores matter? Behind the Leaderboard™ Discussion 2

Over the past several weeks, you've met a few of your fellow gamers through our articles and forum discussions. In our Behind the Leaderboard™ series, Bob J. (@BobJ685852), Delphine R. (@Delreed351), and Barbara M. (@bem1211)  say they play games to challenge themselves, while retiree Mary Louise H. (@mlou58)  just plays for fun.

Are you a casual gamer or a fierce competitor? Do high scores even matter?

Periodic Contributor

I agree

& play the same way, also a word wipe player at the moment.  I feek the leaderpoard  is either fade or plagued by hackers.

Regular Contributor

WordWipe Scoring

Following is a summary of my conclusions about the believability of high scores in WordWipe.  This is excerpted from a series of 4 rather lengthy posts I did over the last month or so of analysis.  To find these posts, locate  the button at the top of the discussion page that says "All Forum Topics", then go down the list to a topic called "WordWipe Scoring".  That's where my posts are.  The posts go into detail about how WordWipe is scored and what it takes to achieve different score levels.

"I’ve come to the conclusion that it is highly likely that there are some bogus scores being reported for Word Wipe.

Scores above 60,000: Most likely bogus

50,000 to 60,000: Very hard to believe

40,000 to 50,000:  40,000ish, maybe; 50,000ish, probably not legit

30,000 to 40,000:  30,000ish - Believable; 40,000ish - Very difficult but not impossible

20,000 to 30,000:  Humanly possible

10,000 to 20,000:  Very possible

In the past week, the AARP leaderboard has contained scores of over 70,000 and over 90,000 twice – by the same person.  I’m not buying those at all."

Super Contributor

@el58092270 - Thank you for your post. I believe you and will read your other posts. Since you say 20,000 to 30,000 is humanly possible, I will strive to get within that range. I have a few thousand to go as of now.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Games Concierge! I have always been compepetive. I dont have anyone in particular at AARP games that I compete with but do compare scores with my wife and daughter for bragging rights. So far so good tho. They are still in my rear view mirror and all they see is tail lights!

Community Concierge

Hi Gamers!

This week's discussion is all about competitiveness. Are you a competitive gamer or do you just play casually? For me, I don't usually compete with other people as my gaming is fairly solitary. But I do find myself peeking at the AARP leaderboards from time to time just to see how AMAZING some of you are at these games. Some of these high scores just blow me away! 

What about you? Do you try to make the leaderboard or are you just playing for fun? 

Contributor

I play for fun, but deep down everyone would like to be top dog at least for a little while.

Periodic Contributor

High scores does not matter to me as much as the time. I want to know why there is a time limit on these games and not a relaxed button where you can play until you get to the next level, such as the mahjong games?  They normally start out at 5:00 minutes or less and the time rapidly decreases as the game goes on.  why do for instance, the mahjong candy game makes you lose twenty seconds everytime you have to go to hit the button in order to unlock another screen to match the tiles? this is really frustrating and it makes the game very unenjoyable to play and it makes AARP games SUCK!!!!!!! I am tired of playing them, hopefully you will fix this situation, if not you have lost a member.for goood.

thanks,

Contributor

Competetive? Nope. Doctor said I have cognitive decline and suggested puzzles, games, etc., to stimulate the brain. Does it help? I have no idea. But, it is fun. So, that's good enough for me. 

Regular Contributor

To the "Games Concierges", some feedback:  I don't like what you have done to the format of this discussion board.  You've made "Behind the Leaderboard" the only topic option coming from the WordWipe and possibly other game screens.  The "Discussion Board" is now filled with bland topics and blander posts.  There is apparently no way to get back and see the original, user-generated topic posts as they existed a week or so ago without going through the "tags", which I imagine most people are not familar with.  I can't even find posts I made within the last month or so.  It seems like you are trying to discourage posts that might be meaningful to people by making us respond only to your chosen topics.  You have taken away our choices regarding topics and how we interact on the AARP discussion board.  How come?   And FWIW, I'm not a fan of the comic book caricatures of the contributers.  What's your objective here?

Super Contributor

Hang in there.  This only lasts through the month of December.

BTW, if you get high scores, would you mind giving me some of the strategies behind 10x10?

0 Kudos

Not really; however, it is good to challenge yourself.  Not sure how some achieve the scores posted posted for Freecell etc.

Contributor

Aye - they do!! What interests me is seeing many of the same players listed among the top ten leader boards day after day.. they might be addicted to playing those games? 
On another note, how does anyone score 10,000 points or more in the bridge game app? Are those players with unbelievable scores somehow manipulating the game app? 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I have wondered if and how someone could manipulate to get those unbelievable scores too.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I like to play, but i see that the game/player adapts to my competentcy and I don't like that.   If I don't get good letters to make big words, then it continues that way for all games, therefore, I CAN'T get a high score.   It's that way with ALL games- favoritism is set so we don't quit playing. Played these games long enough to know, so no excuses needed. I'm not competitive for that reason...:(

Super Contributor

I had not noticed that.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Wow.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I try to make the Leaderboard however, I can't seem to make it on Bubble Dragon. I'd like to know the secret. I see several names that always make high scores and would love to hear from them.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I don't mind not being on the leaderboard, but I also sure would like to know how others do it too!

When I try a new game, my scores are abysmal but slowly go up.  But they don't go up much.  I get to a point where I stop improving. That is when it gets frustrating.  The only score I want to beat is my own.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

To our Online Community Members,

We wanted to let you know that our Community Guidelines and Terms of Service have been updated. The changes are intended to foster more civil discussions in AARP’s online communities. The issues discussed in these communities – including healthcare, retirement and politics – are serious and stir up strong emotions. We should have spirited debates about all of them, but those debates should always be respectful, on topic and fact based. We will be applying these standards in our online communities as we work together, with all of you, to address the challenges that face older Americans. Thank you.

AARP Membership Flash Sale

AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Your Daily Puzzle

Enjoy our interactive brain-teasers and treat yourself to some mental gymnastics. Try one today.

Your Daily Puzzle