Contributor

Calculating the Score for the Daily Crossword

How is your score calculated?  Today I finished the puzzle faster than any other day, with zero wrong letters entered and my score was tied for the lowest I've ever scored.  So it isn't just "time" and it isn't just "number of incorrect letters entered, then corrected".  So what is it?  Should I change my strategy?  Solve long words first in their fullest instead of solving short words to provide letters to solve the long words?  My strategy will of course depend on how the scores are caluclated.

And I don't want anyone to change the calculationg method.  I'm fine adapting, but to WHAT?

Thanks in advance.

Contributor

This occurs with the Cryptic Puzzles as well! Today I finished a cryptic without help and without any errors and my score was the same as many others who probably did the same.  Except there was one more score that was ahead of all the other with an extra 10 points.  Why?  What had that solver done that the rest of us had not done?  There is no explanation posted anywhere to explain the scoring system.  I still enjoy solving the puzzles but the scoring system has no separate listing that would at least satisfy the unanswered questions about how the scores are calculated!  Obviously, this is not of great importance to the AARP tech people or it would have been seen to by now.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to know how the scores calculated.I get the answers without help.  TJ

0 Kudos
Contributor

The scoring on this puzzle has been driving me crazy, also. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I love to do the puzzle, but the scoring drives me crazy.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello. I do the cossword almost every day. I don't use any of the aids. I do it in a timely fashion. I don't enter any wrong letters. I get 100%. Nonetheless, I don't get the number of "points" that others do. Why? What am I missing? Not a big deal, but I would like to understand how this puzzle series is scored.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RobertL814599, great question! I hope the following info is helpful to you. 

In Daily Crossword, scoring is calculated at game end with this formula:

• Score = Number of cells completed without help x 10
  • Bigger puzzles will have a higher total score

Note: "Completed without help" is defined as: cell filled in correctly without using Reveal function. If "Error Checking" is turned on, cell has never shown a red incorrect letter.

***If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution". Thank you!

Periodic Contributor

This explanation does not explain the discrepancy in scoring. My wife and I play daily crossword every morning. We use to compete for the highest score. But, the score has no relation to how fast or how accurate the puzzle is completed. Every day, we both get the same score. For instance, this morning I completed the puzzle in 6+ minutes. My wife completed the puzzle in 12+ minutes. We both got the same score...1850!  If AARP would make the scoring related to speed and accuracy as the AARP person explained, it would make the game playing much more fun!

Contributor

Thank you for your message.  It does answer the question I asked, but it also triggers a follow-up question. Ihoe you don't mind.

In today's puzzle (6/30), I scored the maximum available per your scoring algorithm, 1870 and there were 187 letters to fill in.  Then I looked at the scoreboard, which can show (your choice) the high scores for (a) Today; (b) This week; or (c) This month.  I looked at the (a) choice, namely Today.  There were scores of 1890 and 1880 as well as 1870.  So this means one of three things:

(1) "Today" might not mean "today's Puzzle", but any puzzle completed today, or ...

(2) Not everyone gets the same puzzle for "Today", possibly with a different number of letters required, or ...

(3) Perhaps the Time to Complete enters in some way?

If there is a unique "Today" puzzle that everyone gets, then I believe the maximum for "Today" should only be considered based on that puzzle, not on any puzzle completed that day.

Thank again for your answer to my first question.  I hope you can answer the follow-up.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RobertL814599 I don't know the answer but I could have the tech team look into it for you. Thanks for your followup question!

0 Kudos