Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you an avid “crossworder”?

Are you an avid “crossworder”? What do you enjoy most about solving crosswords? Do you have any tips for novice crossword solvers or those that are trying to get better? 

By the way, three of the most popular crossword puzzles on AARP Games now qualify for AARP Rewards, allowing you to earn points that you can use on cool deals, discounts, sweeps and more.

Check out the puzzles here and if you’re not already signed up for AARP Rewards, activate first to start earning.

Regular Contributor

i could never wrap my mind around crosswords. some questions are unbelievable. sometimes you would know the answer, a six or seven letter word but it only gives three spaces. how am i suppose to know what that is? initials trip you up.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

I love to work crossword puzzles, both in the daily newspaper and also the Sunday edition, which includes The New York Times Crossword in one newspaper I subscribe to just to get it.  Some answers I get right away, and others I struggle with, but I love learning new words.  The challenge of working crosswords is addictive!

0 Kudos

YES! I do crossword puzzles before getting ready for bed. It frees my mind from unfinished problems of the day. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have recently found myself doing the crossword puzzles in the Sunday newspaper. I love the clever themed clues with the long answers. They can be a bit challenging but not too hard. I believe it works my brain and is a good mental fitness exercise. It is correct that some of the clues are repeated in future puzzles which is good to see if I can remember what the answer is. It may take me close to a week to finish the crossword but each day with my mind fresh I am able to figure out additional clues that I could not the day before. I look forward to these puzzles every week. I'm hooked.

0 Kudos

When I had my hip replaced last year, someone sent my a jigsaw puzzle.  It was hopeless.  I've never developed any technique beyond trying every piece into every hole!  So, I bought myself a crossword puzzle book.  My 6th-grade teacher had helped us solve crosswords by copying the grid out of the morning paper at least once a week.  Then I had a friend who cut the puzzles out of the local paper, stapled them together and sat in the back of the courtroom she and I were in, looking for all the world as if she was going over some important paperwork!  The book I bought at Walmart got me through my whole recovery.  I found another one, somewhat harder, in a local Little Free Library and I'm still working on it.  Finally, I have bought several books at Dollar Tree.  I switch off during the day between books, since they get pretty repetitive.  My grandmother was a great Scrabble player.  I had been missing this kind of word play.  It helps me draw on my store of mid-century knowledge - I was born in 1956.  The  very best part is when you finally get one clue and that leads to many more.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

forget crossword, for me i couldn't get through the questions never able to answer them or "decipher" the meaning of them. my puzzles are fill ins. they're easier but just as challenging. you work the brain by trying to work out which right word goes in the right position.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

yes i am. i feel like i am doing something for myself to be better and keep my mind working well.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes.  They exercise my brain and failing memory with no time limit..

I love not only crosswords but Sudoku, word searches, etc.  Avid applies as long as that doesn't imply perfection of the art of crosswording!  Dementia runs deep in my family and I'm trying to work out that brain as much as possible.

Lucy C. - Buffalo NY

YES!! I have been doing them since I was a kid. One of my favorite memories is Saturday and Sunday mornings, waking up and going into the kitchen where I'd find my dad doing the crossword puzzle in the local newspaper. Sometimes there would be a clue I could figure out, and that's what got me interested. Now, at 68, they help me keep my brain working!
Contributor

Yes.  Mostly the Sunday NY Times, but I've been known to others.

0 Kudos

Yes, I enjoy solving crossword puzzles.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm new to crosswords, well doing them regularly anyway. Not like I've never seen them before. Enjoy doing the ones on AARP very much. Probably because I'm a beginner.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Two tips.  One - get a crossword dictionary.  Tip two - after a while you'll see that many clues and answers are the same across puzzles.  Get familiar with those that occur often.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree with that, @jmchick47 -- over time you definitely find words that recur across different puzzles that might not be commonly used. My two favorites are:

-- ewer (a water pitcher)

-- orts (scraps from a meal)

I always love it when I know those right away 🙂

Regular Contributor

Growing up I wasn't great at using vocabulary words that didn't make sense to me. I was an ace speller but to know the meanings...forget it. I mean the huge words that have crazy meanings. I do crosswords now as an adult to keep learning more about these words and to keep my mind sharp. Since my hysterectomy I have had a hard time remembering things and at the tender age of 55 I am trying really hard to help with my memory of words and their meanings. For anyone just starting out doing these turn on the spell check to help you get the hang of things. It helps me a lot.

Community Manager
Community Manager

On the Daily Crossword, I discovered that I really like to play with "show errors" turned on. The first time I used it, I was amazed at how many incorrect words I managed to fill in!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Does using the "show error" affect scoring?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I am an avid crossworder, but I am not a member.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @JudithP526204, thanks for your post! See if you can find something you like from our collection of Word Games and Crossword Puzzles!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png