Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Games Site Is Getting Better!

In the middle of May, you will experience a new AARP Games site.  The site sports an updated look and feel to help you find your favorite games, discover new ones and get to play them faster.  

Here’s what to expect:

Finding Games: Now Simpler!

• The new site’s cleaner design makes finding games simpler. The game images on category pages are now larger and easier to click through on desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets.  

• A new, improved search bar helps you find your favorite games quicker and discover new games with search suggestions as you type.  

Playing Games: Now Easier!

• Game screen size is increasing!  On laptops and desktop computers, you can toggle between two different screen sizes: Standard Mode, similar to the current game screen size, and Larger Player Mode, a slightly bigger, more convenient play area. Games will automatically start in Larger Size. To toggle down, click the screen icon on the bottom right corner of the game.

• It’s also now easier to play on your mobile phone. Game area scaling on mobile devices is improved and the game will adjust better to the size of your phone’s screen.

Site Speed: Now Faster!

• Speed to access and play games is improved. You can start enjoying your games faster, while other page elements continue loading in the background.  

These changes are made possible by a new foundational technology that will enable us to bring you additional edutainment features, updates, and new games.

We hope you are as excited as we are about these improvements. For more information, visit the Frequently Asked Questions.

From all of us,

Thank You and Happy Playing!

Contributor

Thanks for mentioning the weird scoring for Pyramid Solitaire. I have also noticed instances where the score is just not recorded at all (even yes, when logged on).

I agree that it's not a big thing but it does take away from the game and is discouraging when a great score is not even recorded. Now I keep my own scores on a pad of paper next to me.

I also miss the old jigsaw puzzle games.

Contributor

don't know which game you are talking about, but the last change to Mahjong Toy Chest was ruined.  Too many characters and it is timed rather than enjoyed.  I no longer play this game.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Looking forward to the improvement in the games. Hope it extends to the word games. I've found that Spellbound doesn't allow some everyday words. What's wrong with "hoe" or "weed" or several other common words that I've tried to use. Someone needs to improve their vocabulary!

Contributor

It could easily get better by FINALLY be adding to old jigsaw puzzles: “The Daily Jigsaw” & “Jigsaw”! It’s been at least 5 years of requesting this, & new technology is not even needed to double the volume of available jigsaw puzzles! Thanks!

Contributor

Updates long over due need more games that are challenging to the brain thanks
Barb
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Here is the jigsaw site that I use, they have hundreds of puzzles. http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles

0 Kudos
Contributor

I hate when the games can time out while playing. Some of us just play to be playing not to compete.
Maybe that could be an option?
Thanks.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I haven't had problems playing the games, but seeing the unbelievable high scores, to me, remains an issue. Maybe there's a way to prevent people from playing if they use a downloaded program that enables them to have the program play the game for them.

bam1954
Contributor

I totally agree. Scores in the billions and high millions (Alu’s Revenge 2 for one) are not being reached by people. I do believe there is a program playing for them. With Spellbound, before the last change it was possible to reach scores in the one or two millions from time to time. Since the change scores are being reached in the double digit millions.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I hope it's really better.  The last time you made a major change, I couldn't play most of the games on the sight.  I was told to change my browser...I don't want to change my browser.

Contributor

I'm with you!   Enjoyed the older version.  Never had a problem.  This morning I tried playing the ones I always played and couldn't even get into them.  Nothing but a black area where the game should have been.

Nice job!!!!

Periodic Contributor

I agree!!!  Can't even get my regular games to load this morning! Ugh!  Whatever happened to: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it ???

Contributor

Yes new games but you can’t access most of them and even old games no longer respond ie Spellbound. Daily Crossword clue font size is so small you c@;not read them. Yes I look forward to the update. Fix all the games so we can play them. 

Regular Contributor

the last time you changed, you took away my top 2 favorite games and changed a couple of others so they were not as much fun.  This time I see my top 2 favorites, Spellbound and Flip Out, will also disappear.  Can't say I'm very happy.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Same here.  I wont't be back if Spellbound is gone--PLUS, I don't care to anyway, if they don't make it like the first one where you could cause the letters to scramble.  This last one wasn't good because you couldn't do that, so the letters sat there in oine format.  Not fun.  Definitely the first Spellbound was better. 

Contributor

On the original site I had many games which would not work.  Then AARP changed things to get rid of the Adobe application and even more games would not work.  I have two "browsers" on my PC (MS Edge and Google Chrome)  The solution I was given?  Use Firefox!  OK, so I tried Firefox and some of the games previously not working now worked, but not all.  What is the real solution?  Fix the problem which existed in the first place.  Having to have additional "browsers" on my PC to be able to play a few games is beyond rediculuos.  And now they announce that they are going to change things again?  When will it ever end. Come on AARP, with all your ads, your requests for donations etc, is giving us back something for nothing really that hard?

Contributor

You hit the nail on the head!  Last time AARP "improved" their games I lost the ability to play over 60% of the games they now offer.  Have used both Chrome and Safari with no change in ability to play games.  I am an AARP member and logged in so it is not "member only" games where I have the problem.  Really? Wish they would stop discontinuing games I like and making it impossible to access and play the games that still exist. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It's fairly easy to change your browser. You should change things on a regular basis anyway, just for security. I'll bet you have a friend or family member who could do it for you. 

Periodic Contributor

It's about time, I've been complaining for at least a year. Tried different browser, platforms, computers, no luck.

Regular Contributor

I've already requested this multiple times and gave up, but this offers new hope! Maybe someone is actually going to DO something about this. In the game called Mahjonng Dimensions, it does not allow you to play to the end of your time alloted. Today I played and when I was 1:38 seconds from the end of the time, I finished a cube and it totaled my score and stopped the game with the 1 minute and 38 seconds remaining! In addition, when you click on a pair of icons and they melt away, it is very hard to see the remaining block of cube pieces. If you could get it so that it immediately removes the pairs clicked on, instead of melting them away with flashing glittery stuff we don't need, that would be great!
In addition, I'd like to see more games of knowledge....Thank you for doing this. Part of the reason I continue to remain an AARP subscriber because I can play safe games on line.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, @Fennessy0913jm and @tiny450, it's important to use one of the supported browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer versions (IE) 11. If you find that you experience any problems playing games on any of the named browsers, please email member@aarp.org and we will work to resolve the issues.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hope its for the better this time

0 Kudos
Contributor

I hope you will fix the bug in the 9 bnall program.  If there are just the 9 ball and cue ball on the table, and both balls fall into pockets, the cue ball reappears, but the 9 ball does not. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I hope it will be better. I'm still disappointed Yarnz was taken out of the games
Contributor

Stop sending me emails with these comments!  I don’t want to receive them!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sanbecker10, you can change your settings so you won't receive the notifications. To view and manage your subscriptions:

1. Go to My Settings > Subscriptions & Notifications
  2. Click My Subscriptions to see a list of the items you've subscribed to. You can click a subscription to go to the item.
  3. To delete a subscription, click the check box for the subscription and click Email Subscription Options > Delete Selected Subscriptions.
Trusted Contributor

LOL the suggestion for stopping all of the comments on this thread didn't work for me. I did as instructed and still get many a day. At least you guys at AARP know your Seniors love to play games that don't cost money. 

Thank you for that at least.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hello how are you doing today. It's be many years since I been around here. I use to spend time on Our Front Porch alot. What's new around here. And I forgot to see where I can read any comments sent to me. Thank You.

0 Kudos
Contributor

GRRRRRRRREAT!!!!!

0 Kudos

Me. too! I loved that game.
0 Kudos