Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Why We Like Video Games

Nearly half of older Americans—and a larger percentage younger than us—play games. Why do we like playing games like Candy Crush, Angry Birds or AARP’s own Right Again! Trivia? This article suggests why. What's your top reason for playing?

I recently started playing Marbles on Stream.  It’s fun and I have met a lot of good people.  Now that I am learning more I am venturing out and playing more online games with streamers I have met. 

0 Kudos

I despise video games, A total waste of time and then make me very anxious and nervous and I would rather play spelling games in a book or crossword puzzles in the newspaper I never play video games

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thought of you, I received last week in mail, this week saw on shelves at Walmart's books & magazine area. Readers Digest Sept 2022 
The Genius Issue: Build your word power fun facts, quizzes and more. Weird word origins (page 54), Learning about your fav words (page 74), So that's why we say that (page 54).
The enduring delight of the dictionary (page 71), Brain games and word power (page 160).
Trusted Contributor

THANKS for more info. Always liked the Word Power. But now they don't seem to include the root origin of words (Greek, Latin, etc)

0 Kudos
Contributor

It sounds like you are sensitive to electronic stimulation and visual sensations. It is good that you don't ruin your health by playing them. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately, YES. Can’t play moving video games, just static games like crosswords and trivia. Get nauseous and/or migraine around moving, blinking, strobe or lots of lights. Went to a disco ONCE but couldn’t stay. Have to be careful about concerts with light shows – not attend or keep eyes shut and hand over eyes if bad. Also bad motion sickness while riding. Bad eyes and ears my whole life, which are obviously connected.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

i like playing the games because it's fun plus it is something to do. i like candycrush saga, uno, solitaire classic & pyramid, but my all time favorite is Ms. pac-man. some of the more complicated ones belongs to the younger generation but the ones i mentioned above are "classic" fun.

0 Kudos

I like playing DC online because I have also been big with comic books mainly I like marvel comics. but marvel doesn't have a game like this that allows me to play with people all around the world or by myself. I can build choose powers, fighting style, roles my character or characters I can play. build stats. It is being in a whole other would . I can also talk to other players to plan our strategy how to take the bosses down and also get tips from other player. there are disadvantages too. because it is people from al over the world there can be language barriers. but I like the challenge.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I am still just a kid at heart wanting to play

Some for fun, some for intellectual stimulation, a few for manual dexterity.

Still prefer physical board games and playing cards with others over electionic, but whatever/whoever is available

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I love online Mahjong but do the below daily. Respectfully I have this contribution. 

Paper booklet of Crossword, monthly subscription from Penny DellPuzzles dotcom
There/free- Puzzler's Corner: Word of the day, Trivia of the day, Brain Boosters, Free daily puzzles, Contests, Solving Resources.
Sold, all sorts of variety/word/number/logic puzzles, mazes, coloring, fill in's, etc's are available in Older TV versions, Peanuts, Garfield, holidays, Value Packs, etc.

Trusted Contributor

I am so addicted to their Anacrostic ! I buy them in bulk/value packs twice a year

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

see site for sale going on now....

Trusted Contributor

THANKS !

I saw an email from them this week but haven't read it yet.

Do you do the dailies online or print them out?

Except for the AARP points crosswords, I prefer physical books - they are easier on my old eyeballs than screens

Have a Blessed Sunday!

Have a Wonderful Weekend !

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes I do,

or make a computer folder to be saved in with puzzle and the answers to be printed later, or to be included with handwritten letters to be mailed.

I an in my eighties and spent more time reading books and doing things, but it is nice once in a while to get absorbed in a video game. I started playing Guild Wars 2 with my grandson years ago when he was a teenager. It is a MMORPG (massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) and you can play alone or in small or large groups with people all over the world. The game has so many levels and so many things to do it is endless and once purchased costs nothing to play ever again. Whenever I get bored I can always return to the game and pick up where I left off.

Contributor

Video games? I prefer spending my time in the Real World. What I mean by that is going out to nightclubs to spend time with my friends, making new friends, listening to great live music, dancing, showing appreciation for the musicians, everything that makes life worth living.

Social Butterfly

No comment here as I don’t play those time wasters.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've always wondered what the big deal was about gaming? Now I know, thankyou AARP! I find it challenging and love to see my name in the top 10 from time to time! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

it keeps my mind occupied and keeps me from being bored, i play them when i'm in waiting rooms 

0 Kudos

Relaxing 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I like to play games that pique my interest such as trivia, but any games that challenges me are so much enjoyable to take up my time, and not feel I'm wasting time!

Regular Contributor

Keeps my mind engaged and sharp plus my arm and hand reflexes attuned.  Posting a personal high score involves a celebratory beer.  Some are just plain fun, not exercise.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP