Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Who are the best athletes of all time?

On January 24, American alpine skier Mikaela Shiffrin set the all time-record for World Cup race wins with 83, passing fellow American Lindsey Vonn, who had held the record. Shiffrin followed up with two more wins and currently sits with 85, just one off the overall record of 86 held by men’s skier Ingemar Stenmark since 1989. At only 27 years old, Shiffrin could very well reach an astounding 100 World Cup wins in her career. Should Mikaela Shiffrin be in the conversation for best athletes of all time? Which current or past athletes rival her accomplishments?

Want more trivia? Try Right Again! Trivia - Sports edition - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants.

Regular Contributor

I'd say Hercules, Odysseus, Jim Thorpe, Rogers Hornsby, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Otto Graham, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Rod Laver, Roger Federer, Billie Jean King, Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova, Nadia Comaneci, Michael Phelps, Eric Heiden, Nichelle Kwan, Apolo Ohno, Bonnie Blair, Simone Biles, Shannon Killer, Mary Lou Retton. Rocky Marciano, Cassius Clay, Floyd Mayweather, George Foreman, Hulk Hogan, Edwin Moses, Wilma Rudolph, Pele, Messi, Chuck Norris, and Bruce Lee come to mind (bodybuilding, golf, table tennis, bowling, archery, etc. masquerade as sports but they're not).

Regular Contributor

I think you forgot Jesse Owens. (Hercules is a myth;he’s not real, and Odesseus is questionable.)

Social Butterfly

Obviously, in swimming, it would be Michael Phelps with his 23 gold medals.

Contributor

Greg Louganis, and Secretariat !

Contributor

.. adding Paavo Nurmi

Periodic Contributor

I could name so many Walter Payton, Carl Lewis, Muhammed Ali, Eric Heiden, Usain Bolt, Michael Jordan, Jim Thorpe, Jackie Joiner-Kersee, Mia Hamm, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Nadia Comenicia, Dan Gable, Bill Russell, Bobby Orr, Wilt Chamberlain, Babe Didricksen Zaharias, Babe Ruth, Jesse Owens, Michael Phelps, Simone Biles, Olga Korbut, Gale Sayers, and so on.

Regular Social Butterfly

Great topic!

For me it was Lenny Dawson 

THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME OG!

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP