Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Which game evokes nostalgia?

What’s the first game you ever remember playing? Is there an online version that you play today?

Contributor

Playing Whist on long, cold winter nights in Minnesota while visiting my parents

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Ring around the Rosie

Duck Duck Goose

Kick the Can

Hide n Seek

Red Rover, Red Rover

Musical Chairs

Tag

We play most of those weekly here at the home.

I grew up in Sunnyside Queens, so my memories are probably not the same as most. They were related to baseball. The first was stickball, which was played against a wall or handball court wall with a rectangular box drawn on it and an opponent throwing a pink Spalding pink ball referred to as a  "Spaldeen" or a tennis ball to hit within that box and a batter using a broom handle or a closet pole as a bat. The second was punch ball which was played on a side street. Once again a pink "Spaldeen" was used, which you would throw up in the air and punch on its downward arc, hoping to place it between or beyond fielders, at which point you would run to designated markers or bases drawn on the street. Also a third game played against stairs called stoop ball, where you aimed to hit the point of the stair and hit beyond the head of a fielder or fielders.

In Baltimore we just called it a pinky and played stickball we used a broom handle ew sawed off.  We also a pinky ball to play curb ball, you would throw it against the curb/gutter on the street and 3 players on the other team would try to catch it or tag you out.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I remember Candyland, but we didn't have a lot of board games when I was really young. At 9 I remember playing Monopoly with my sister & dad (he was always the banker!). We played lots of card games with my parents including solitaire, rummy & Pinochle. I do play solitaire online. 

Social Butterfly

Are any of you old enuf to remember the two board games of Chutes and Ladders and Battleships?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Chutes & Ladders, Battleship and Candyland were our go-to games when I was a kid.  I also reeeeeeaaally wanted Mousetrap, but my mom wouldn't get it because she figured we'd lose/break most of the parts 😕

0 Kudos
Contributor

Does anyone remember a Milton Bradley board game called “Camp Granada” ? It had a little red plastic bus you’d drive along a route within a camp and you had to get to a certain marker before the bus “broke down”. This was a favorite of my brother’s and mine around the mid-1960’s. It went along with the song “hello mudda, hello fadda, here I am at, Camp Granada…” lalala. 🙂

I’ve looked for this game in every antique store I’ve ever been in. Great memories. 

Social Butterfly

Melanie.  There are some of those Camp Granada games for sale on EBay right now.

0 Kudos

Jeopardy, Scrabble

Contributor

Parcheesi, Sorry, Chess, Backgammon. Rummy and Dominoes Yahtzee.   Those are the ones for me. Particularly Parcheesi but that is because of a certain girl who ask me to come over to play.  We had fun with that game. Ahh, the memories of youth and learning all about life. That was sooooo long ago. lol. Peace. 

Social Butterfly

Hide n seek, kick the can, red rover, mother may I, monkey in the middle, splits (with a jackknife), spin the bottle, tag, pin the tail on the donkey, jarts (the pointy kind), jenga, duck duck goose, and many more.  Not aware of any computer equivalents of these real games!

Contributor

I loved both board & card games.  I have a mis-matched game of Monolopy (my grandfather's) that includes some of the old original wooden houses.  My very favorites included Risk, Dominoes, Clue, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Pinochle, different variations of Poker & Rummy.

The good old days when people would have game nights!

Not sure if there are on-line versions of board games.  

Contributor

Monopoly.  When I’d finally get my brother and sister to commit some time to play the game, we’d sit, play and laugh until Park Place and Boardwalk were filled with hotels.  Finally, two of us went broke and at last the game would end.  

Periodic Contributor

Parchesi

Periodic Contributor

My sister and I used to always play LIFE. It had little plastic cars for the game pieces so we would pick the make and model of the car we had. We each had a list we would keep during each game and then, as things happened in the game, we would name those also such as college, job, husband and kids names. We kept those lists in the box when we were done and it was funny to see how some things changed when we played again - especially the husband's names! Miss those teenage years!

Candy Land, the colors on the were wonderful and drew me every time the box and board came out.

Regular Contributor

We played checkers, and tic, tac, toe, then moved on to board games of all types. I loved Monopoly, Life & Clue. Yahtzee, Scrabble, & lots of card games. The great thing about those games is they were played by my children & children as well. These games will outlast us all.

Regular Contributor

I really liked Asteroids, Brick Wall, Burger Time, Donkey Kong, and Missile Command.

@dt324, cool! Have you ever checked out our Atari games?!

0 Kudos

Though I haven't played the online version, I used to love the anticipation that came with playing--and watching someone's turn--during the board game "Operation".

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Scrabble was always a favorite board game.

Today, online, I like WORDS WITH FRIENDS, a close approximation of Scrabble.

Social Butterfly

Monopoly was the classic in our house.  Still like the game to this day, but not online.  There's something about moving your playing pieces around the board, and handling the money and property cards.  Old school!

Now, this is from the 50's. Old Maid. And Animal Rummy: with the cards having sweet pictures; pretty kitty, sly fox, gay dog, silly squirrel to name a few, there was also a goose and a bunny. I found an old set in an antique store & deccopaged them onto a wooden box.

Also the game called "Dig". Little wooden mallets with a sticky gluey glob on one end, and a pile of 3 sided letters you'd put into a heap. Then cards to draw, one by one, and you and your sister would dig with your mallet to form an answer to that clue!! A fun quick moving pastime, competitive too!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP