Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What was the best decade in sports history?

Retired Community Manager

What was the best decade in sports history?

In the 1960s, Wilma Rudolph ran to three golds and three world records in the 1960 Olympics, Roger Maris blasted 61 home runs in 1961, UCLA started its menโ€™s basketball dynasty, and the first Super Bowl was played after the AFL-NFL merger.

The 1970s brought us Title IX and a push for womenโ€™s sports by Billie Jean King, a perfect season for the Miami Dolphins, Hank Aaron became the home run king, and Ali fought the โ€œRumble in the Jungle.โ€

The 1980s saw Wayne Gretsky score his 100th goal, Mary Lou Retton win gold, Greg Lemond become the first American to win the Tour de France, and Michael Jordan take flight. 

The 1990s saw the United States host the menโ€™s 1994 World Cup, the 1999 Womenโ€™s World Cup, and the 1996 Summer Olympics. 

In the 2000s, the Boston Red Sox broke their 86-year World Series curse, Tiger Woods ascended to the top of the PGA Tour, Michael Phelps swam his way to 8 gold medals at the 2008 Olympics, Kobe Bryant dropped 81 points in a game, and the Williams sisters dominated tennis.

What was the best decade in sports history and why?

Social Butterfly

None of the above.  The best sports decade was 1930-1940 because in 1936 Jesse Owens won four olympic gold medals and showed the world!

Honored Social Butterfly

For me, definitely the 80's. I remember it like it was yesterday. Go for the 'gusto'(!) (although that saying seems to have originated from the 70's har har). My dad was a huge inspiration for me regarding sports in the 80's, too. Fell in love with ice hockey because of him. All other decades, I was either too young, or too old raising children who did not have an interest in sports. 

@AARPLynne wrote:

In the 1960s, Wilma Rudolph ran to three golds and three world records in the 1960 Olympics, Roger Maris blasted 61 home runs in 1961, UCLA started its menโ€™s basketball dynasty, and the first Super Bowl was played after the AFL-NFL merger.

The 1970s brought us Title IX and a push for womenโ€™s sports by Billie Jean King, a perfect season for the Miami Dolphins, Hank Aaron became the home run king, and Ali fought the โ€œRumble in the Jungle.โ€

The 1980s saw Wayne Gretsky score his 100th goal, Mary Lou Retton win gold, Greg Lemond become the first American to win the Tour de France, and Michael Jordan take flight. 

The 1990s saw the United States host the menโ€™s 1994 World Cup, the 1999 Womenโ€™s World Cup, and the 1996 Summer Olympics. 

In the 2000s, the Boston Red Sox broke their 86-year World Series curse, Tiger Woods ascended to the top of the PGA Tour, Michael Phelps swam his way to 8 gold medals at the 2008 Olympics, Kobe Bryant dropped 81 points in a game, and the Williams sisters dominated tennis.

What was the best decade in sports history and why?

๐Ÿ™‚

For me it was 1970s football.  There were a lot of great players in that decade. But the Pittsburgh Steelers and my Dallas Cowboys had THE best players in the 70s. Staubach, Bradshaw, Dorsett, Swann, etc. I can go on and on listing players from the 70s. It was when football was football.  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP