Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

What trivia do you most enjoy?

Did you play the popular board game, Trivial Pursuit, when it first came out in the '80s? Which of the six themed categories was your favorite? And, be honest, did you ever study the cards?

0 Kudos

Entertainment

0 Kudos
Contributor

Can't recall the name of the category - had to do with health, medicine, etc.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

AARP games are great because they are interactive and mentally stimulating thus the games I most enjoy playing are the Daily Word Puzzles  and Crossword Mini-Puzzles. 

US History 

0 Kudos

No, I never played the game n

0 Kudos

Iโ€™m a history buff and literature 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I was really excited when the game originally came out in the early 1980s and I was not yet a teenager. It was expensive, but there it was under the Christmas tree that year. Thanks Mom!

Sadly, no one wanted to play with me. I think I played it once with a cousin and my sister...and that was it. 

Today, thanks to thrift stores and garage sales, I have almost every version and/or card set that they ever released (aside from foreign editions and some very esoteric entertainment franchise editions they've released in the last fifteen years).

The original version ("Genus I"), Genus II, III, IV, V and VI, Silver Screen, "The Vintage Years" (my favorite), Baby Boomer, 80s, 90s, Millennium, and the list goes onโ€”they all crowd my game closet.

And, forty years later, I have a friend I play with regularly. I found the one person who actually likes Trivial Pursuit as much as I do!

As for "Favorite Category"...?  Anything other than "Sports & Leisure."

0 Kudos
Contributor

History

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

General.  I know a lot about a lot.  On a 20-question trivia quiz, I usually get at least 18 right.  Don't rub smarts into other people's faces; content to know them on mutually satisfactory terms.

Contributor

Entertainment followed by Science and then Literature

0 Kudos

Science and Nature 

0 Kudos

History is a favorite but all categories provided a memory boost.  Great game.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Yeah, I admit to studying the cards.  Actually I had all the answers memorized.  Won a lot of money with that game!

0 Kudos

I like general knowledge questions based on entertainment, travel questions (both US and Foreign), math and science, and sports.  I also find that the trivia games with 100 questions (I know that this makes scoring easier), however they take too long to complete.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Arts and Lit for sure

0 Kudos

I liked Entertainment, History, and Arts and Literature.

0 Kudos
Contributor

All

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have actually in the distant past played an on-line version of THAT game; and I recall that I was pretty good in the entertainment industry trivia category, especially when it involved television trivia from the '60s period.

Regular Contributor

That board game, quick snippets of info opened more doors in "interested learning" education. More trips to the library, finding second hand/bookstores, more challenges even in grocery store lines- over hearing strangers were known to holler out answers...then it went to handheld machines, sports categories, etc. It got wild there for a while, people are competitive, it went way past the amount of players than Dungeon and Dragons. Anyone/any time could play. It was a lighter, happy game in its time of that era.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP