Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Travel Trivia: Where can you find the Harriet Beecher Stowe House?

Retired Community Manager

Travel Trivia: Where can you find the Harriet Beecher Stowe House?

Test your knowledge of travel trivia!

The author is most famous for writing Uncle Tom's Cabin. Where can you find the Harriet Beecher Stowe House?

A. Hatteras Island

B. Brunswick

C. Newport

D. Arlington

Want more trivia? Try AARP’s new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now!

0 Kudos

B. Brunswick

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hatteras Island

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for playing! The correct answer is Brunswick (Maine).

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hmmm. the Harriet Beecher Stowe House, to which I have been more than once, is in HARTFORD, CT where she lived from 1873 to her death in 1896. Evidently there are 4 other year-round Harriet Beecher Stowe houses: Cincinnati Ohio (1832-1850), Brunswick, ME (1850-1853, where she wrote Uncle Tom’s Cabin), Andover, MA(1853-1864), a previous home at Nook Farm in Hartford, CT (1864-1870, and a winter home in Mandarin, FL. I suggest your question should have been more specific (and I see several others below who feel the same!). 

0 Kudos

What important history--but you missed a big one--the Harriet Beecher Stowe House in Cincinnati, Ohio! She lived here the 18 years immediately before writing Uncle Tom's Cabin, living as a teacher, mother, writer, and friend of the Underground Railroad. The relationships she made and experiences she had in this "border city" before the Civil War was the catalyst for her activism. You can plan a trip by visiting www.stowehousecincy.org.

Also--an AARP video about it from a couple years back: https://www.facebook.com/AARPOH/videos/2010247219135544/

0 Kudos
Contributor

And Jacksonville Florida, Mandarin Road!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Which house in Connecticut, Maine, or Florida?  The Harriet Beecher Stowe House, The Stowe House, Stowe Winter House.  As only on fits the answers, fine but question is not a good one.

0 Kudos

B

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP