Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Too many ads?

Iโ€™m a paying member of AARP and yet when playing games on the site (daily crossword), Iโ€™m spammed with ads.  This has sadly turned me away from using the site and I no longer partake in the crossword. Just curious if others have had a similar experience?  Sure they need the revenue, but from paying members?

I used to just stop using sites and quietly disappear, but given I still subscribe to AARP, thought Iโ€™d mention it so they receive the feedback.

Maybe Iโ€™m the only one who is annoyed by all the ads for a paying member.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

@Bberk wrote:

Iโ€™m a paying member of AARP and yet when playing games on the site (daily crossword), Iโ€™m spammed with ads.  This has sadly turned me away from using the site and I no longer partake in the crossword. Just curious if others have had a similar experience?  Sure they need the revenue, but from paying members?

I used to just stop using sites and quietly disappear, but given I still subscribe to AARP, thought Iโ€™d mention it so they receive the feedback.

@Bberk,

It is easy to alleviate this problem.

Add AdBlockPlus to the browser you use to view AARP's content, including games.

AdBlockPlus is free and rids you of all the ads.

It is easy.

I say it is easy because I added it and I am as computer challenged as they come.

I also suggest it because I was getting all sorts of ads on AARP'S web site at the time which was several years ago. I was getting ads AARP approved but also, I believe their games platform had been hacked. I say this because I was getting weird ads from India, ads from PETA showing dead animals, and even home made ads from independent sources. I was only getting these weird ads at AARP'S website.

At the same time, I was also getting IMPOSSIBLE SCORES posted to the games platform. I play 5ROLL, it has a limited number of points that you can possibly score as it is patterned after Yahtzee. People were posting scores in the hundreds of thousands which was IMPOSSIBLE.  AARP addressed the IMPOSSIBLE SCORES issue after months and months of complaining.

But the AdBlockPLUS took care of the ads ever since.

View solution in original post

I too am very unhappy that I can no longer enjoy some quiet playing games I have always enjoyed.  This is terrible to do to paying members. 

Regular Contributor

I agree.  I've paid to join AARP and now I'm captive to listening to ads when all I care to do is play a game and relax and enjoy.  AARP does now listen to it's members.

Contributor

You are not alone.  I thought that by paying a yearly membership I wouldn't have to sit through those long ads before each game. 

Contributor

I'm incredibly sick of seeing ads for butt wipes. It's ridiculous.

Contributor

You are not the only one annoyed with these redundant ads, especially disney.

Contributor

Often when I attempt to play a game, the ad that first appears can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 43 minutes.  Why does AARP think that anyone is interested in a 43 minute commercial?  30 second ads are acceptable!

Contributor

I like ads. The thing that I would rather see is when they show tourist traps they only show my home state. I know all the places here and wouldnโ€™t mind seeing other state traps. I have also checked out products that I might like. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

By they way I am a pay member.

Contributor

You're a sad case if you actually like the detestable and unwanted adverts that intrude into every corner of society....

Periodic Contributor

I use AdBlocker so it stops most of the ads, except now when playing and small window opens right in the middle of the game and I can't play it anymore. When I close this small window by clicking return to game, my game says it is done when it wasn't. It's annoying!

Honored Social Butterfly

@Bberk wrote:

@Bberk,

It is easy to alleviate this problem.

Add AdBlockPlus to the browser you use to view AARP's content, including games.

AdBlockPlus is free and rids you of all the ads.

It is easy.

I say it is easy because I added it and I am as computer challenged as they come.

I also suggest it because I was getting all sorts of ads on AARP'S web site at the time which was several years ago. I was getting ads AARP approved but also, I believe their games platform had been hacked. I say this because I was getting weird ads from India, ads from PETA showing dead animals, and even home made ads from independent sources. I was only getting these weird ads at AARP'S website.

At the same time, I was also getting IMPOSSIBLE SCORES posted to the games platform. I play 5ROLL, it has a limited number of points that you can possibly score as it is patterned after Yahtzee. People were posting scores in the hundreds of thousands which was IMPOSSIBLE.  AARP addressed the IMPOSSIBLE SCORES issue after months and months of complaining.

But the AdBlockPLUS took care of the ads ever since.

Regular Contributor

Adblock does NOT remove all ads, just those outside the game window.  You still must put up with the annoying ads at the beginning of the game.  I do NOT listen to ads just to play a game...and may not be renewing my membership.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@s519832s,

You are incorrect. I get NO ads before, during, or after the playing of the game. In fact, I can end a game prematurely, and go to a new gameโ€ฆ.literallyโ€ฆ.immediately. You must have a secondary issue.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Does this block the 15 - 30 second ads that you have to watch before playing the games or just the flashing ads off to the side of the screen?

Regular Contributor

Adblock does NOT block the initial ad, just those outside the game window.

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi, @cindyl46265. I use AdBlock, too, and have never had to watch an ad before playing any AARP games. The only time I watch ads is to earn 'extras' in-game, which of course is optional. The only exception, where AdBlock does not block ads, would be the ads prior to watching videos on YouTube, as I do have to watch those ads until I am able to click the 'skip' button. Try it, uninstall/remove it if you don't like it. It's a simple extension, and quite useful. ๐Ÿ™‚

Contributor

Good feedback and thanks for your response, makes sense, just disappointing.  

Also, I do agree the scores are wacky as well, something is amiss there.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP