Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

The Greatest Rivalries in Sports

This seasonโ€™s NBA Playoffs have featured some of the most successful players of all time. In the Conference Semifinals, LeBron Jamesโ€™ Lakers are facing Steph Curryโ€™s Warriors. Kevin Durant vs. Nikola Jokic has emerged as a new rivalry with Phoenix taking on Denver. The NBA has certainly been no stranger to classic team and player rivalries. 

While the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics each have 17 NBA titles to lead the league all-time, Boston has the edge on head-to-head titles won. Though the rivalry waned after Magic Johnson and Larry Bird retired, it stands as one of the greatest in sports history.

What do you think are the greatest rivalries across sports?

Want more trivia? Try Right Again! Trivia - Sports edition - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Eagles--Cowboys. Go Birds!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Boston Celtics vs LA Lakers.  Not as competitive as it used to be but the feelings are still there!

Contributor

My North Carolina TarHeels and those stank Duke blue devils 

0 Kudos
Contributor

For me, it is Texas vs. Texas A&M, whose rivalry in football will be rekindled in Year 2024.  It is about a way of life and not about power or geographically.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Definitely the rivalry between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. My husband is an avid Yankees fan; I am a long-time New York Mets fan. We root for our teams; however, when the Yankees and the Mets are playing each other, we are a divided household. I think there is cross-town rivalry and then there is the rivalry between certain teams. My husband had the golden opportunity to meet New York Mets legend Mookie Wilson, got his autograph for me, and thanked him for beating the Red Sox in the 1986 World Series. The base hit by Mookie Wilson, that rolled through Bill Buckner's legs, remains one of the highlights of post season play. We were at my parents' house at the time, watching the game. When Mookie Wilson's hit occurred, I jumped so high, I could feel my hair touch the living room ceiling. Root, root, root, for the home teams ... 

0 Kudos

Army-Navy is the greatest rivalry in American sports.  There is none greater, and none purer. If you've never attended an Army-Navy football game, put it on your bucket list and then check it off as soon as possible. This rivalry transcends sport itself. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Red Sox - Yankees does it for me..

Community Manager
Community Manager

Michigan / Ohio State has to be up there!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Go Blue!

Community Manager
Community Manager

@KathrynDay Go Blue!!

0 Kudos

University of Missouri versus university of kansas. Hated each other since the kansas-Nebraska Act passed in 1854, citizens killed each other in the Civil War. The underdog won a larger-than-normal percentage of the contests. A true rivalry. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP