Community Manager
Community Manager

Should chess be an Olympic sport?

The game of chess was an exhibition event during Sydney in 2000 and is now recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee. Even though it has its own tournament, the Chess Olympiad, chess officials are campaigning for inclusion in the 2024 Paris Olympics. Are you a chess enthusiast? As one of the oldest games in the world, do you think chess should be an Olympic sport?

no

0 Kudos
Contributor

No, absolutely not.  The Olympics are athletic competitions.  Chess is not remotely athletic.

Q?  How about Monopoly?  What could be more thrilling to watch than Team Monopoly competition?  [NOT]

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

So, what will be next - checkers, tiddleywinks, marbles, ????

Periodic Contributor

Chess is a cerebral game & has nothing with athleticism. Let's not get crazy and ridiculous by trying to include non-athletic events to the Olympics. 

Social Butterfly

Chess has its own world competition.  It is a mental, not physical game.  Let’s keep it that way!

Conversationalist

I don't think so. The Olympics are about athleticism. Chess is cerebral, not physical. If it was included, I don't imagine NBC or whoever has the rights to air the events will be dedicating much coverage to two players hunkered over a static board.

Silver Conversationalist

Well said @AvocadoDog. For the same reasons, I do not think chess should be an Olympic sport.

Bronze Conversationalist

I agree with AvocadoDog.  Let's reserve the Olympics for athletic events.  I worked in crowd control with other runners at the 1984 Olympic marathons in Los Angeles.  I can't imagine seeing a huge crowd of people jumping and cheering around  two people playing chess like they did for the runners as they crossed the finish line in the Olympic marathons!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

No I don.t think so how many other board games are in the olympics    if you allow chess how about video games or auto racing. Not every thing meets the criteria as an olyimpic game. Also how many players would you need

Gold Conversationalist

Yes, it takes time and patience then Pro

Racquel Evans
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP