Community Manager
Community Manager

Movies about games or mathematics!

As an avid gamer, what's your favorite movie about games or mathematics!

0 Kudos

The movie The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

0 Kudos
Contributor

The movies Clue and Hidden Figures come to mind.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Darren Aronofsky's first film PI

0 Kudos
Contributor

Okay, off the top for math and chess - Good Will Hunting, Hidden Figures, Stand and Deliver, The Imitation Game, Gifted, The Queen's Gambit, Queen of Katwe, and Searching for Bobby Fischer - ENJOY!

Contributor

By far, Hidden Figures! 

0 Kudos

Hidden Figures is my all time favorite movie.

A Beautiful Mind is second, love it!
Finding Bobby Fisher is also a great movie.

Val
Contributor

Hidden Figures and The Imitation Game

Both are great stories and great acting.

Contributor

Numbers : 

The 2005-2010 TV Mystery show with Judd Hirsch, David Krumholtz (Santa Clause), Rob Morrow. « FBI agent Don Eppes recruits his younger brother, Charlie, a mathematical genius and college professor, to help solve some of Don's toughest cases. Although others at the bureau are skeptical of Charlie's involvement, he finds support in a colleague at the university where he teaches.« 

Contributor

Hidden Figures movie

Jumanji with Robin Williams and A Beautiful Mind.

Contributor

The Exocrist through hidden fingers.

The Queen's Gambit (on Netflix)

TEMPLE GRANDIN! ❤️

Contributor

Good Will Hunting.

A Beautiful Mind. 

Stand and Deliver

Periodic Contributor

War Games and Beautiful Mind.  Had any movies about Newton, Leibniz, or Cantor been made, then unless they were spectacularly bad, they'd be on my list, too.  Artists and musicians must be more popular that brain exercise and brain power (not intended as a political comment, though it could be construed that way).

Good Will Hunting

Social Butterfly

Last weekend we streamed “A Beautiful Mind” a true story staring Russel Crowe. In the 2001 movie he portrays John Nash, a student and MIT professor and the creator of a mathematical strategy called the “Nash Equilibrium”. I’ll provide a Wikipedia link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_equilibrium in case anyone is interested because it’s several grades above my pay grade to be able to explain it.

In the biographical movie he develops paranoid schizophrenia early in life and suffers delusional episodes but manages to a certain degree to overcome his mental illness with the help of his caring wife and without medication and goes on to win the Nobel prize in Economics.

Another great movie “Hidden Figures” staring Octavia Spencer and Taraji Henson portrayed as mathematicians who calculate flight trajectories for NASA missions during the early 1960’s including John Glenn’s historic flight. It’s a true biographical film that I haven’t seen since its release in 2016 and I hope to see it again someday soon on a steaming service.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I really liked the Black Mirror movie "Bandersnatch" on Netflix. It has a choose your own adventure component to it as well!

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'll start us off... The fictional story of Queen's Gambit is a must-see for chess players!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Try the new AARP Perks browser tool! Get timely reminders about AARP resources, discounts, and other member benefits as you browse online. Install AARP Perks now.

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health