Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Mahjongg Toy Chest Classic - Game is too small now!

Periodic Contributor

Mahjongg Toy Chest Classic - Game is too small now!

The game got smaller...it is way too small! There is no way to make it bigger. Zooming up actually makes it get smaller. No full screen option (I don't ever play on full screen). Please change it back to the way it was. 

I am playing on Chrome browser on PC. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Periodic Contributor

Thanks for your reply! I zoomed down and unfortunately it did not help. I find the most comfortable view is when the game is rectangle/landscape shape in the middle of my screen with area around it (by zooming to 110%) vs. over on the left, or the old full screen mode which made it too big...I know, I'm picky! lol. Though I just tried F11 to go full screen on my browser, and that actually did help...it seems it's about the same size as it was, though the resolution is worse (I have an old graphics card that can't be updated anymore, but it wasn't as much of an issue before). 

I just tried it on my Surface Pro5 2-in-1 tablet/laptop too, and I have to zoom to 120% to get it in the middle of my screen, but the tiles are too small on there as well. Going full screen in my tablet's browser helps though, and the resolution is better as I have a better graphics card on there. I don't want to play on there though as it gets too hot.

I know with technology always changing, you are trying to provide the best quality experience that works well with newer machines, but if there's a way to make the game like it was (size wise), that'd be great. I'm not sure if Theater Mode will do that or not...I'm assuming that will be just like the old full screen mode? I suppose, when that time comes, I can zoom down so it's not too big, and that may help. Meanwhile, I'll be playing with my browser on full screen, so thank you for that tip! 🙂    

View solution in original post

Community Manager
Community Manager

Dear AARP Games Users,

Thank you for reaching out to let us know what you are experiencing after the launch of the Theater Mode feature in the Members-Only games. It has been determined that the technology used to create the feature optimizes the experience for a browser Zoom level of 100%. If your browser setting is higher than that, we suggest setting it at 100% while playing.

This update has been applied to all games in preparation for a full rollout of Theater Mode throughout the site. As such, it is recommended to use a 100% browser Zoom setting for all game play.

We will be rolling out the new feature to all games over the next several weeks and appreciate your patience as we ramp up. We hope you will find Theater Mode a valuable feature that will enhance your game play on AARP Games. 

0 Kudos

It's terrible!!! 

Community Manager
Community Manager

UPDATE: We appreciate your feedback on this thread and have some updated information. The game play area on public games remains the same size as the enhanced version was before the rollout of Theater mode for our Members games. That is, it takes up 2/3 the size of the screen.

With the change, you no longer have to click on an icon to make the screen bigger, because it already is the larger size (about 12% bigger than the previous smaller default size).

Some had other issues with the game play area change and we apologize for the inconvenience. We have been able to help many through one-on-one conversations and are happy to try to help you.

Please provide your operating system, browser type and versions (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.) and a couple of screen captures to show us what you are experiencing.  We will do our best to help you get back to playing your games. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Meleah, @KCN22999, @TedL245031. I am sorry to hear about the size issue you are experiencing. 

We recently launched Theater Mode. Here are two links which explain more:

NEW from AARP: Theater Mode

Play Members-Only Games in Theater Mode

The screen size icon that existed to increase the size of the game by about 10% is no longer on public games due to the launch of Theater Mode on Members-Only Games. 

I did notice that increasing the browser size actually makes the Mahjongg game smaller, but I did have success when I decreased the size to 90% and 80%. You may do so by holding CTRL and tapping + (plus sign) to increase or tapping – (minus sign) to decrease.

I hope this helps!

The smaller size is showing on ALL games, not just Members Only. Tried the plus/minus but it is very distorted. Not playing AARP games until I can SEE the game board.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If it ain't broke... why "fix"it?

Backgammon has no "theater mode" button and the new small size is terrible on these old eyes!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks for your reply! I zoomed down and unfortunately it did not help. I find the most comfortable view is when the game is rectangle/landscape shape in the middle of my screen with area around it (by zooming to 110%) vs. over on the left, or the old full screen mode which made it too big...I know, I'm picky! lol. Though I just tried F11 to go full screen on my browser, and that actually did help...it seems it's about the same size as it was, though the resolution is worse (I have an old graphics card that can't be updated anymore, but it wasn't as much of an issue before). 

I just tried it on my Surface Pro5 2-in-1 tablet/laptop too, and I have to zoom to 120% to get it in the middle of my screen, but the tiles are too small on there as well. Going full screen in my tablet's browser helps though, and the resolution is better as I have a better graphics card on there. I don't want to play on there though as it gets too hot.

I know with technology always changing, you are trying to provide the best quality experience that works well with newer machines, but if there's a way to make the game like it was (size wise), that'd be great. I'm not sure if Theater Mode will do that or not...I'm assuming that will be just like the old full screen mode? I suppose, when that time comes, I can zoom down so it's not too big, and that may help. Meanwhile, I'll be playing with my browser on full screen, so thank you for that tip! 🙂    

Retired Community Manager

Hi, @Meleah, am I understanding correctly that you've tried the recommendation to use a 100% browser Zoom for game play? We'd like to have the product team look into this further. Would it be possible for you to provide us with screen captures and the steps taken? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Those of us on fixed incomes like me might not be able to get a new laptop in order to play the games with the screen the way it used to be...large and no ads interrupting the games screen in the middle of the game! I don't know anything about 100% browser zoom. Just put things back the way they used to be....PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!!! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Appreciated-

as we all know....size does matter.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I use a wide, graphics monitor (display, personal, magnif., all the etc's)- no worthy results...went back to Random Salad Game one (MS).

0 Kudos
Contributor

All puzzles are now too small.  

Contributor

Ted, I agree with you completely. Ads keep popping up blocking the game screen while you are playing the games. Why can't AARP fix the game screen like it used to be?

0 Kudos
Contributor

attempting to play games on chromebook and windows lapto. The in both tablet and laptop the screen scrolls for no reason out of view while playing, and so the clock ticks away while trying to find the game screen. Also, is there way to just play mahjong without timer. I would like to just play a game for leasure and not bee buzzed.  Lets just have fun. its a game. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP