Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Games From Yesteryear

What games do you remember from your youth? Do you still play them?

Contributor

Dodge ball.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hopscotch, Mother, May I?, Hide and Seek, Tag, One, Two, Three Red Light

0 Kudos

We had a great neighborhood with lots of kids so games were a big part of growing up. I have great memories of playing Duck Duck Goose, Mother May I?, Red Light Green Light, Red Rover, Freeze Tag, Simon Says, and jump rope. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hopscotch and teether ball

0 Kudos

Mother may Iโ€ฆ.. lived this game!!

0 Kudos

Hopscotch 

Contributor

Two Square, marbles, hopscotch, house ball, and roller skating outside with adjustable skates that had a skate key - andwearing the key on a string around our necks.

We played Monopoly for hours and hours on a rainy day. I remember playing for hours at a friends house and going back the next day to finish.

0 Kudos

Playing the card game Pitch with my grad parents and my parents.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Iโ€™m thinking games like hide and seek, tag, red rover, kick the can, musical chairs, and duck, duck, goose!  We try to schedule most of them for recess here at the home!

Periodic Contributor

Mystery Date. "๐ŸŽถOpen the door to Mystery Date๐ŸŽถ

0 Kudos
Contributor

I lived near a busier road, and we had a water ditch that was dry during the summer.  I remember

playing like we just we shot at, not funny this day and age, but seemed fun hitting the ground and springing back up.    I remember the zip line someone put up across the street from my Aunt's home - love to go visit her and zip a bit.  Being a kid and crashing a wedding event at the local venue center, until someone realized we were not on the guest list as someone's kids.  Memories, light the corners of my mind (โ™ช  โ™ช  โ™ช ).  That's an older memory too.  Barbara Streisand's - The Way We Were.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I played marbles, threw tops, Chinese checkers, checkers, monopoly, candylane, jacks, hopscotch, jump rope, and assorted card games like rummy.

Contributor

Does anyone remember โ€œcallingโ€ your friends at their door ? We would call out their names in a singsong fashion

Contributor

Yes!  I called out my friend Vicky's name at her door all the time - in a sing song fashion.  lol

Social Butterfly

I do!  Hadnโ€™t thought about that in decades.  Thanks for the memory Bonnie!

Periodic Contributor

OMG! I loved playing Jacks; of course I could never do "10's." Then there was bat and ball (a ball was attached to a paddle with an elastic string), Oh Mother Witch (a tag game), and of course jump rope which is usually referred to as double dutch but for some reason, we called it French. Oh, can't forget kick ball. Oh, and hula hoop.

Contributor

Ghost in the grave yard, spud! Horse , kick the can and bike tag!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Buck buck how many fingers up and Kick the can!

Periodic Contributor

Yes, I remember buck, buck. NewYork?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

1. Red light/green light  2. Mother May I? (We played those while waiting for the school bus.)  Card game: Pounce. 

Contributor

Is Pounce the same as Nertz/Peanuts.  I was born in 1967 and didn't know that these genes existed until 10-15 years ago

0 Kudos
Contributor

Red Rover too.

Contributor

Star Light,  Hide N Seek & Glow Tag

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I remember lots of street, string, jump rope games & more, but I am stunned how these simple games are getting lost. I also played Chinese Checkers, Kerplunk, Mouse Trap, etc. I want to design a preschool workshop to give kids an alternative to โ€œblip blipโ€ games, so they can keep themselves busy and active.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My granddaughter loves Kerplunk but she says the winner allows the most balls to kerplunk   No problem

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I remember playing stoop ball, hide-and-seek, ping-pong, dominoes, checkers, scrabble, spider solitaire, Twister, Candyland, Trouble, Monopoly and other board games: I Dream of Jeannie, Eye Guess.  Such enjoyable activities -- all part of wonderful memories from my youth!

Periodic Contributor

1. Awe stickball, with a new Spaulding ball. Vey Brooklyn, NY game, I think. 
0 Kudos
Contributor

Authors.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP